Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 6:14 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
The griz used to be native in the North Cascades; the problem now is the habitat - the size of the habitat they really need - has been carved up and invaded by humans.
Thank you, Anne, for that observation. This is the primary reason I'm solidly against this plan. Going back to the way things were "in the good 'ol days" 100 or so years ago just isn't realistic. Someone mentioned the many black bears in WA, but black bears and Grizzlies are two seriously different levels of risk to back country hikers as I see it. So I agree with Michael Lewis: leave 'em be, and if they come on their own, then ok.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:24 am 
OK, so the habitat is cut off from the other bears. Isn't that setting things up for inbreeding and a need to bring in "fresh blood" via more spendy heli trips in the future? The trickle down method is working for moose. E. Wenatchee now has an occasional moose wander in. I've seen three this year having never seen one in the wild before--only a few tracks in the snow. This year, two young ones were munching away in one of the burned areas and I saw an adult in the Okanogan Highlands.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 am 
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 pm 
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 pm 
New President on January 20,2020.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 2:52 pm 
sooperfly wrote:
Grizzly reintroduction has been taken off the table.
Excellent.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 pm 
yes! up.gif new president? so? you really think grizzly bears are going to be on the agenda? glad to see another one of Mitch's hare-brained schemes DOA. hope it cost him a LOT of time and money before it all came to nothing.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 5:58 am 
Glad to see this. Next thing you know we would be in the same predicament that Montana is in. I am sure the budget constraints and the recession had something to do with this.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:45 am 
With the limited habitat and the crush of humans in the Cascades, there was bound to be conflicts, and eventually a situation like we're now seeing with the re-introduced wolves, except with dead humans instead of dead cattle. up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am 
I have friends in Thompson Falls MT that recently got a letter from MT Fish, wildlife & parks. It told them to put up electric fences, keep dogs on a leash, learn to use bear spray as grizzlies have become an issue there.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 pm 
Just curious. Where is it ok for a grizzly bear to live? Washington State, too crowded. Montana thinks it's too crowded. How about Banff area? That's filled with people and there are still grizzlies there. Should we kick the bears out from there as well? While were at it, I heard sharks kill people and negatively impact the economies of surf towns. We should kill all of them too. And those pesky rattlesnakes in Eastern Washington are getting on my nerves. Kill them as well.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 2:53 pm 
^ Actually, more people are killed each year by toasters than by sharks, so you might want to campaign instead to kill toasters.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm 
Our neighbors just north, in BC, in rural communities live with grizzly bears just fine. Grizzly bears reproduce slowly and even if re-introduction would have happened it takes really long time and only small number of bears might still live in a very remote area, that is far from overpopulated by people. More importantly, it is not true narrative that only Seattle people support grizzly bear recovery and the majority of people living in Central Washington east of the cascade crest do not support it, this is simply not true. While there is some vocal opposition to grizzly bear recovery, it is not at all a voice of the majority. Polling indicates that a lot more people support it: http://www.defenders.org/sites/default/files/publications/polling-finds-washington-voters-support-grizzly-bear-recovery-in-north-cascades.pdf?_ga=2.250587279.822033382.1594155428-899841208.1594155428 The recent announcement is extremely disappointing, changing direction abruptly and in secret, after years of research and planning, a study and public process that was going on since 2014 without listening to public input and very clearly politically motivated. I really hope to get the orange menace out of white house and restart the process. I'm saddened, but I will not give up and will always continue to support grizzly bear recovery in any way I can.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 4:36 pm 
I am sure toasters are much more deadly that bears as well (quick google search suggest 664 bear attacks, not fatalities, over the course of 15 years, on earth). My point being, lack of money may be a good reason to not reintroduce grizzlies in N Cascades, and we may not be very good at reintroducing species in general. But when I hear arguments like it is too crowded in Washington to have grizzlies in our mountains, I wonder are there any mountains left on earth where this is not true? Alberta, BC, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming have grizzlies and lots of people out recreating with those bears. Some of the most popular and crowded backpacking areas on earth also have the highest concentration of grizzly bears (Glacier NP, Beartooths, Wind Rivers, Canadian Rockies). This proves crowded recreation and grizzlies can co-exist. IMO, the fact that a few people may die due to a grizzly attack is not a sufficient reason to not reintroduce grizzlies to their native habitats, if it is realistically possible and cost feasible. In a perfect world, we would reintroduce grizzlies and wolves to Washington and for the rural residents that are economically effected (wolves/grizzlies eat their cows) we would have social programs to help those move to the big cities and find employment. No one has a right to live in wildlife habitat.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 pm 
saw a large bear last weekend. Buddy was adamant it was black bear but I was THINKIN GRIZZ!! you never know!!