Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bagging some peaks around Lake Pend Oreille Sept 24-25, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm 
Seeing the looming forecast for rain and snow in the mountains I thought I'd check off a few peaks to the north. First up was Hoodoo Mtn which is a drive up on decent roads and #34/98 in Idaho peaks with 2000'+ of prominence. This is located near Spirit Lake. Good directions and map here. https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/hoodoo-mountain/
Hoodoo Mtn , 5119,' is a drive up.
Hoodoo Mtn , 5119,' is a drive up.
I walked the last 20' up Hoodoo.
I walked the last 20' up Hoodoo.
Mt Spokane in the distance.
Mt Spokane in the distance.
Closer look at Mt Spokane.
Closer look at Mt Spokane.
Next up was Blacktail Mtn, another P2000 and a pretty nice hike of 5 miles with 1700' of gain all on trail. Good views of lake Pend Oreille from this 4960' former lookout site. Info: https://naughtyhiker.wordpress.com/2017/11/15/blacktail-mountain/
Lake Pend Oreille from the summit of Blacktail Mtn, 4960.' A lookout once was located here.
Lake Pend Oreille from the summit of Blacktail Mtn, 4960.' A lookout once was located here.
Lake Pend Oreille and the Cabinet Mtns in the distance.
Lake Pend Oreille and the Cabinet Mtns in the distance.
Scotchman Peak which I hiked the following day is over there.
Scotchman Peak which I hiked the following day is over there.
Blacktail Mtn summit.
Blacktail Mtn summit.
After a car camp at the trailhead for Scotchman Peak near Clark Fork, I got a 7:30am start up the trail. This is the Bonner County highpoint and has lofty 4651' of prominence. Two bow hunters were already on the way down and hadn't had any luck trying for elk. It was good to not be on the south exposed slopes in the afternoon. I was on top in 2hrs 15min and savored the views for a while. On the way down I counted 19 hikers and one dog headed up. Apparently, everybody got the same memo as me.
Lake Pend Oreille while ascending Scotchman Peak.
Lake Pend Oreille while ascending Scotchman Peak.
The delta of Clark Fork River.
The delta of Clark Fork River.
Sign near the summit of Scotchman. Goats are common here but I didn't see any during my visit.
Sign near the summit of Scotchman. Goats are common here but I didn't see any during my visit.
Looking down at Lake Pend Oreille nearly 5000' below.
Looking down at Lake Pend Oreille nearly 5000' below.
A shelter on Scotchman's summit. This was also a former lookout site.
A shelter on Scotchman's summit. This was also a former lookout site.
I thought the true summit was out there but it is a middle knob which I scrambled to here. 7011.'
I thought the true summit was out there but it is a middle knob which I scrambled to here. 7011.'
Scotchman Peaks, a proposed wilderness area.
Scotchman Peaks, a proposed wilderness area.
Clark Fork, Idaho.
Clark Fork, Idaho.
BM.
BM.
The summit from below. This is the 5th most prominent peak in Idaho (4651':) and the highpoint of Bonner County.
The summit from below. This is the 5th most prominent peak in Idaho (4651') and the highpoint of Bonner County.
Some slimy shrooms near the trailhead.
Some slimy shrooms near the trailhead.
On the way out I stopped by Long Mtn, another P2000 at a lowly 4558.' A bit of bushwhacking near the top, but it was short. Map and info here. http://www.peakbagging.com/IDPhotos/LongMtn.html
Long Mtn, 4558' was a short hike up in brush from high logging roads This photo is from Bandy Road near Harlem, Id. A lookout site was located here as well.
Long Mtn, 4558' was a short hike up in brush from high logging roads This photo is from Bandy Road near Harlem, Id. A lookout site was located here as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Abert

Abert
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 4:52 pm 
Quote:
On the way down I counted 19 hikers and one dog headed up. Apparently, everybody got the same memo as me.
Making a swing through Northern Idaho in July I was used to the normal weekday hikes seeing no one. Like you, I got an early start up Scotchman and met a (relative) multitude of people on my way down. It felt like a different (I-90?) world from the rest of my week.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:25 pm 
"Do not allow them to lick you, or your sweaty equipment" lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Interesting choice of words I'm trying to think, on how much, of my equipment I sweat on

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:26 am 
Slimy shrooms are Slippery jacks and they are edible.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:34 am 
kitya wrote:
Slimy shrooms are Slippery jacks and they are edible.
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with that one.

Type E

Type E
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 3:53 pm 
The goats on Scotchman are uber aggressive. When I climbed it 4 surrounded me and one was clearly mean mugging me. It was the only time in my whole climbing career that I was fearful due to animals . Thankfully I was able to put some distance between myself and the angry goats . E

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 pm 
Wild country devoid of the masses!