Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bowron Lakes Revisited
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 am 
My brother Phil and I canoed this awesome loop of lakes in Boy Scouts ... in 1969! We went back to do the circuit again ... in 2019 ... 50 years later! And my wife Marcia was brave enough to go with us! This time around, the canoe circuit was SO MUCH BETTER in almost every way! In 1969, it was much more of a wilderness experience, but also a LOT more primitive. Now the numbers of visitors are well-regulated by permits. Each campsite is numbered, and each site has tent pads, metal bear boxes, and an outhouse, all very well-maintained. Gathering wood from the campsites isn't allowed anymore, so the park provides woodlots. Several sites have small cabins and picnic shelters with wood-burning stoves. Most of the portages were fine, but a crew was working on the portage between Indianpoint Lake and Isaac Lake, and it was crazy muddy. Bowron Lake Provincial Park is in the Cariboo Mountains in central BC, 550 miles north of Seattle, so we took two days to drive up there, which allowed us time on day 2 to get organized and tour the historic gold-rush town of Barkerville. Well aware of Bowron’s notorious weather, we were well-prepared for rain. I wore Baffin knee-high rubber boots pretty much the whole trip; highly recommended. We did get some rain every day, but it was mostly light showers, and heavier rain didn’t last long. We had one spectacular day of sun, with temps in the mid-70s, warm enough to get in a swim. I took Kendal Mint Cake and Pilot Bread to re-visit our Boy Scout past, with mixed results. Check out this “Pilot Bread” thread in the “Food & Grub” section. We did the 75-mile circuit in seven days. Because we launched on September 16th, we were very near the end of the season, and we really had much of the circuit to ourselves. Here's the circuit map: Bowron Lake Map If anyone is considering this trip, we have gear to lend: Dry bags, sail, maps, etc. Send me a PM.
Bowron Lake Provincial Park
Bowron Lake Provincial Park
Side trip to historic Barkerville
Side trip to historic Barkerville
Weighing in
Weighing in
Cozy cabin at Indianpoint Lake
Cozy cabin at Indianpoint Lake
Phil the Fire Man
Phil the Fire Man
Flat water
Flat water
Real muddy portage
Real muddy portage
Tough Work!
Tough Work!
Muddy portage and trail crew
Muddy portage and trail crew
Wolverine Shelter
Wolverine Shelter
Commemorative canoe paddles
Commemorative canoe paddles
Back 50 years later!
Back 50 years later!
Isaac Lake, 37 km +
Isaac Lake, 37 km +
Pilot Bread - revisited
Pilot Bread - revisited
River Otters
River Otters
Sunshine!
Sunshine!
Note the graphic
Note the graphic
Boy Scouts
Boy Scouts
Cariboo Falls
Cariboo Falls
We were well-prepared for the rain
We were well-prepared for the rain
Channel through the swamp grass
Channel through the swamp grass
Beaver dam on left swamped dock on right
Beaver dam on left swamped dock on right
Portaging again
Portaging again
Still friends after all that
Still friends after all that
Letting the sail do the work
Letting the sail do the work
Home stretch
Home stretch
And very big thanks to Rich Thorlakson for sharing these old slides from the scout trip:
1969 Phil 2nd from left, Mark on right
1969 Phil 2nd from left, Mark on right
1969 Plastic Ponchos
1969 Plastic Ponchos
1969 Moose
1969 Moose
1969 Canoe 69
1969 Canoe 69

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 8:23 am 
up.gif I've wanted to do that since I saw photos of my friends 1968 trip. Thanks for the report.

rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 4:38 pm 
Awesome! so cool you got to do it together 50 yrs later. I did the circuit with my wife in June 2016. It is one of the most unique canoe circuits we have ever explored; so cool to get all the big flat water lakes in the midst of the caribou mtns.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 4:39 pm 
Nice to see this report. Always seemed like it would be a good canoe trip. Thanks !

When I grow up I wanna play.
Jonathan Pryce

Jonathan Pryce
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm 
Nice TR. Where do you buy Kendall Mint Cake these days? REI in Seattle hasn't sold it in at least 15 years.

Don't believe everything you think.
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 6:54 pm 
You can make your own Kendal Mint Cake. It's easy. http://www.pinnaclewalkingholidays.co.uk/kendal-mint-cake-homemade/

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 7:22 am 
Quote:
Where do you buy Kendall Mint Cake these days? REI in Seattle hasn't sold it in at least 15 years.
A search on Google Shopping brings up lots of Kendal products and suppliers, including Amazon. I don't remember which supplier I ordered it from, but the package was shipped from Great Britain. Maybe there isn't a USA distributor anymore.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 am 
Bowrun was my first extended canoe trip with my dad back in 71. Have always wanted to do again. We caught some of the biggest fish of my life on that trip. Fond memories.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Jonathan Pryce

Jonathan Pryce
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 1:44 pm 
Cue sound of palm of hand hitting forehead. Doi! https://www.amazon.com/Romneys-Kendal-KENDAL-White-5-98oz/dp/B004JZGUWO Thanks to Blowdown and Alpine Pedestriam.

Don't believe everything you think.
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 am 
Cool trip! Thanks for the report. I've done it with my son's scout troop four years ago and again this year (June). What an amazing place. We had a blast. Do you know of any other similar routes to paddle around here that would be appropriate for scouts? I've been looking but Bowron seems quite unique unless you can drive several days.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 12:43 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Do you know of any other similar routes to paddle around here that would be appropriate for scouts?
Nothing similar that comes to mind. Obviously Ross & Chelan are go-to 50-miler destinations for scout troops - the scout troop I was in did those numerous times. Wells Gray has some large lakes with good canoe camping, but not the "chain" experience you get with Bowron. I've canoed the Nitinat "triangle" up on Van Island. Fun adventure, but not sure I'd recommend it for scouts.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 pm 
Our adventure on Bowron Lakes was so awesome, as soon as we got back from Canada, one of the first things I thought was, "Where to next?" I looked at "America's Great River Journeys", by Tim Palmer, from the Seattle Public Library. Of several rivers in Washington and Oregon, a good choice for a long Class 1 was the Willamette River, with options from 5 to 189 miles. But I'd think that certain areas of Hood Canal, the San Juan Islands, or the Inside Passage would also be appropriate for Boy Scouts. What could possibly go wrong? wink.gif

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm 
Loved my trips to Bowron! Scouts loved the adventure and it was VERY off-the-beaten path. However, it was also a great challenge for these guys and they were so proud to have completed this. It's changed a bit in the past few years (sat phones and now contractors instead of rangers) but it's still gorgous, quiet, and wonderful.