Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's your favorite kind of tree?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 pm 
Indeed, there are so many wonderful trees! Can I nominate my top 27 instead of only 4? smile.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 7:46 pm 
Favorite natives: Pacific Madrona & Shore pine Runners up, depending on particularly nice specimens: Big leaf maple, Douglas fir, Western Red cedar, etc.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm 
Lodgepole Pine. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of trees--gets no respect. Lives a short time, burns up, repeat. You can use the pitch globs in the beetle attacked trees for a fire starter If snow is thick on the ground, and the tree has just died, you can flick yer bick and turn the tree into a torch. Hmm, starting to sound like a pyro so better stop. The Larch. I have no good LP photos.
Top of The Larch
Top of The Larch
The Larch
The Larch

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm 
Western red cedar is by far my favorite. I love the fibrous bark and the gnarled forms ancient specimens take. I love the way the wood smells when cut. I love the clear, even grain and the soft feel of the raw wood. I love how seasoned logs seemingly jump apart when split. I love the crackly fires they make. I love how they can grow right out of a river bank, seemingly right out of the water. I also like paper Birch and Vine Maple when it grows in open areas under dense canopies.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 pm 
For me it’s the western red cedar, nothing else comes close. Hiked to goat lake yesterday, there are some huge ones past the trail split.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm 
There are a bunch of trees that are high on everyone's list. My coworkers who don't really hike tend to think hiking means walking in the woods. For me, I love being above tree line, or in meadows below. I love the openness, the sun, the views, flowers and other plants that you don't find under a mature canopy. And I prefer the eastside climate. My favorite trees mostly reflect that. I can't help loving larches, lyalli and occidentalis. But that's against the rules. rolleyes.gif Ponderosa pines are like giant red jigsaw puzzles. Their forests are more open, almost stately, with lovely grass below. Quaking aspens, even though they're relatively sparse in our mountains. Whitebark pines, the giant ones and the krummholz. I can't help admiring red cedars too.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:47 pm 
Sometimes I'll confuse a friend or passerby, pointing at a ponderosa, or an especially colorful cedar, and saying "I didn't know redwoods grew this far north."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 pm 
cyclopath wrote:
"I didn't know redwoods grew this far north."
They don't... at least not on their own... but there are a couple up in Streater's Field, and I believe there are still a couple down at Pt. Defiance Park near the old Superintendent's residence.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 pm 
Pacific Madrone, Western Red Cedar, and Oregon White Oak. ~z Edit: Adding the Vine Maple. I love these in the Fall.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 6:24 am 
Ski wrote:
cyclopath wrote:
"I didn't know redwoods grew this far north."
They don't... at least not on their own... but there are a couple up in Streater's Field, and I believe there are still a couple down at Pt. Defiance Park near the old Superintendent's residence.
I have heard a rumor of redwood plantations on tree farms. Only a rumor. Sequoias grow well in Randle. Some monsters that were planted by the CCCs had to be cut down as they were threatening buildings that were constructed by the CCC. The trees were about 6 feet in diameter and a local guy did the falling. The growth rings were impressive.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 am 
Slide alder

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 7:55 am 
Strange no one mentioned cottonwood clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Strange no one mentioned cottonwood clown.gif
Actually one respondent mentioned cottonwood already, but it is lost amo g t HF e others. One of my unspecified 27: Very pretty in fall, illusion of snow flurries in spring, and the big ones are majestic all the time. Also magnets for locating morels. Just don't have anything valuable underneath one, since they tend to drop big limbs. My wife immediately said "dogwood" and " vine maple."

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 8:46 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Ponderosa pines are like giant red jigsaw puzzles. Their forests are more open, almost stately, with lovely grass below. Quaking aspens,
Nothing like these 2 species together. Especially this time of year as the Aspen is in it's beautiful fall color. Here in the Teanaway there are many Quaking Aspen groves nestled into, and surrounded by Ponderosa Pine Forest. So beautiful!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:13 am 
I'm partial to trees with white trunks - aspen, white birch, etc. - because these look great in fall when the turning foliage gets highlighted ever more.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani