Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:15 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
Parked Out wrote:
"Eat the babies!" This woman is thinking outside the box...brava! https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1179908480322289664 Lol. https://gizmodo.com/viral-video-about-eating-babies-at-aoc-town-hall-was-st-1838767680/amp
At this point I would honestly love to go back to the 80s when we could pretend we didn't have any problems, so much simpler then. Guess that is why we are here now. Blissful ignorance is starting to seem preferable (again?) to the circus of lunacy and idiocy, from any source or 'side', we have to watch today.
I've suppose we've always been batshit crazy, but yes it would be nice to not be quite so aware of it. Take me back to the Ward & June Cleaver days...

John
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
thunderhead wrote:
Obviously the local measurement is more accurate.
Why is that obvious ?
Lol what? If you cant see how it is easier(and thus more accurate) to measure something right in front of you than from 1000 miles away, well then i am afraid I have some bad news for you...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 am 
thunderhead wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
thunderhead wrote:
Obviously the local measurement is more accurate.
Why is that obvious ?
Lol what? If you cant see how it is easier(and thus more accurate) to measure something right in front of you than from 1000 miles away, well then i am afraid I have some bad news for you...
Again you have provided no actual information to support your claim. Remote sensing can often provide better information than on ground measurements. For example the LIDAR scans of the Oso landslide area have provided far more detailed measurements than ground based surveys. The LIDAR scans provide much better information for determining areas at risk than ground based observations. As someone else observed, measurements from terrestrial tide gauges are subject over time to earth movements (either subsidence or elevation). This can be compensated for, but were are the measurements for compensating for land movement coming from? Isn't it from satellite based measurements ?

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 2:11 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 2:18 pm 
Yes, randy, satellites provide less accurate data over a larger area, including areas where gauges are impractical or impossible. Where you have data from both gauges and satellites, use the gauge.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 3:39 pm 
Parked Out wrote:
Take me back to the Ward & June Cleaver days...
back when when school children sheltered themselves from possible nuclear war under their desks... souse.gif rotf.gif doof.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:55 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Yes, randy, satellites provide less accurate data over a larger area, including areas where gauges are impractical or impossible. Where you have data from both gauges and satellites, use the gauge.
Just an edict that we are supposed to accept on your authority.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 10:09 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
At this point I would honestly love to go back to the 80s when we could pretend we didn't have any problems
Right, back to the carefree days of the AIDs epidemic, Crack babies, Iran/Contra and here in the PNW the first big wave of Californication.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 10:19 pm 
Parked Out wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
Parked Out wrote:
"Eat the babies!" This woman is thinking outside the box...brava! https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1179908480322289664 Lol. https://gizmodo.com/viral-video-about-eating-babies-at-aoc-town-hall-was-st-1838767680/amp
At this point I would honestly love to go back to the 80s when we could pretend we didn't have any problems, so much simpler then. Guess that is why we are here now. Blissful ignorance is starting to seem preferable (again?) to the circus of lunacy and idiocy, from any source or 'side', we have to watch today.
I've suppose we've always been batshit crazy, but yes it would be nice to not be quite so aware of it. Take me back to the Ward & June Cleaver days...
It was obvious from the get go, especially if you are at all familiar with Jonathan Swift, that this woman was a plant. I love the biog of your twitter source though: fired from Beitbart News for Islamophobic comments (that's like getting kicked out of the KKK for excess racism), and multiple charges of plagiarism. As for the days of Ward and June Cleaver, I second cold rain 108. You need to check out the book "The Way We Never Were." Take home message: "Leave It To Beaver" was not a documentary. I was there, the only good parts of the 50's were Rock & Roll and Deuce Coupes.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 10:45 pm 
I remember vaguely of air raid drills, and knowing there was something we were supposed to do...... like go to the basement of the school (elementary), then when we had an earthquake we were all trying to get outside, ha .... there was a vague sense of possible threat (ie nuclear). Later, I realized how much propaganda there was in those videos. Not to say something couldn’t have happened, but the sense of evil was so projected....

When I grow up I wanna play.
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am 
Marshes Grow Stronger When Faced With Increased Carbon Dioxide Carbon dioxide is textbook plant food. Plants take in carbon dioxide (CO2) and release oxygen, so it’s no surprise that increased CO2 emissions have a steroid-like effect on the world’s flora. However, plants have to take in a balanced diet of carbon dioxide, nitrogen and other nutrients to grow big and tall. The result of a CO2-heavy diet, scientists found, can be an unusual pattern of growth. A team of researchers at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) working in a marshland on the Rhode River in Edgewater, Maryland, recently took a closer look at how high levels of CO2 affect marsh plant growth. They knew that carbon dioxide has a positive effect on the overall biomass of marsh plants and assumed that individual plants must be producing bigger stems. But the results of the study, recently published in Nature Climate Change, actually showed plants producing smaller but more plentiful stems. “I don't think anybody expected this,” lead author Meng Lu says in a press release. “Everyone thought, okay, [plants] increased, biomass increased, so the height, width, all should increase. But that’s not the case in a marsh.” Lu and his team worked in the Global Change Research Wetland (GCRW) at SERC, where scientists have been experimenting with CO2 enrichment since 1987. Based on three decades of data, they found that the total biomass of marsh sedges growing in high-carbon dioxide chambers increased by 20 percent, but the biomass of individual stems shrunk 16 percent. This “shrinking stem” effect is caused by a relative lack of nitrogen compared to increased carbon dioxide. “There's plenty of nitrogen in the tidal wetlands, but when the plants are growing under elevated CO2, they actually can grow faster and therefore they need more of that critical nutrient nitrogen to grow,” says Patrick Megonigal, a co-author of the study who runs the GCRW... “The wetlands of today will be able to survive a higher rate of sea level rise than the wetlands of yesteryear,” Megonigal says. “While the rates of sea level rise are accelerating, there are mechanisms by which these ecosystems with their plants and microbes might be able to increase their rate of elevation gain.” The density and size of aboveground stems can also affect elevation gain in marshes. “Elevation gain happens through two mechanisms: sediment particles can stick to the plant itself, or the main way is that plants slow down the flow of water, letting the particles settle more,” says Simon Mudd, a professor of earth surface processes at the University of Edinburgh who is not associated with the study. While thin stems are usually less effective at trapping sediment, having a high density of stems counteracts the loss in diameter. Mudd describes the effect of carbon dioxide on stem growth as a negative feedback loop: as sea levels rise due to climate change, marsh plants get better at trapping sediment and contribute to elevation gain. In a world where sea level is rising, this protective mechanism is vital to the cause of preserving wetland ecosystems and providing a buffer for the coastline in the face of natural disasters. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/marshes-grow-stronger-when-faced-increased-carbon-dioxide-180973267/

John
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 10:54 am 
In yesterday's Times: In fast-thawing Siberia, radical climate change is warping the Earth beneath the feet of millions
Quote:
Over the past 50 years, temperatures in most of Yakutia have risen at double or even triple the global average rate, according to work by Yakutsk-based scientists Fedorov and Alexey Gorokhov. The town of Zyryanka has warmed by just over 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) from 1966 to 2016, according to their analysis. The Post’s analysis, which uses a data set from Berkeley Earth, looks further back. It shows that Zyryanka and the roughly 2,000-square-mile area surrounding it has warmed by more than 3 degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) when the past five years are compared with the mid- to late 1800s.
Quote:
Meanwhile, six time zones away (but still in Siberia) on the Yamal Peninsula, monstrous craters have opened up in the tundra. Scientists suspect they represent sudden explosions of methane gas freed by thawing permafrost.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 11:35 am 
I came across a couple of estimates of how the earth's water is distributed, one from the USGS and one from the National Groundwater Association:
World's water - USGS
World's water - USGS
https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/how-much-water-there-earth?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects
Distribution of earth's water - NGWA
Distribution of earth's water - NGWA
https://www.ngwa.org/what-is-groundwater/About-groundwater/information-on-earths-water They give very different estimates of the volume of groundwater vs. the volume in glaciers, ice caps & permanent snow, with the older NGWA estimate showing about 3.5 times greater volume in ice & snow, and the more recent USGS estimate showing them about equal. Either way, seems like the earth's groundwater capacity could easily provide a major moderating influence on sea level rise, such that short-term fluctuations in ice sheet melting aren't readily reflected in tide gauge data. Jim Steele's article on this possibility that I posted earlier is fascinating: http://landscapesandcycles.net/groundwater-and-sea-level-rise.html Not sure if the IPCC touched on this in the 1170 pages of their latest report, "The Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Planet." https://report.ipcc.ch/srocc/pdf/SROCC_FinalDraft_FullReport.pdf

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 11:43 am 
Schroder wrote:
In yesterday's Times: In fast-thawing Siberia, radical climate change is warping the Earth beneath the feet of millions
Did you check the map for subsidence on your island in southern Norway? https://insar.ngu.no/

John