Forum Index > Gear Talk > Is it time for a new tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Since all the "fixes" suggested here are temporary, I suggest it's time to start saving for a newer tent. Hopefully the fixes will last another year or two and you'll have enough by the time the "fixes" are done for!
That was exactly my thought. Hopefully I can get at least 1 more year and if it survives I can use it as a loaner for friends.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:28 pm 
I'm curious if you've been using a footprint for the tent. If not, mayhap the floor might have lasted longer, or not. I have a Nemo Meta 1p that I'd let go for a song if you find that your quick fixes don't last you to that new rent. Single wall, trekking pole pitch, has a footprint.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:39 pm 
Gwen wrote:
I'm curious if you've been using a footprint for the tent. If not, mayhap the floor might have lasted longer, or not. I have a Nemo Meta 1p that I'd let go for a song if you find that your quick fixes don't last you to that new rent. Single wall, trekking pole pitch, has a footprint.
No I didn't use one. At the time I didn't want to spend the 50 they wanted for a 120 dollar tent. Next tent will have one cause I'll be shelling out more money for it I'm sure. Also thanks for the offer on the Nemo, I have a friend who has a single wall and all he does is complain about it, and don't use trekking poles either so I will pass.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 pm 
Two more ideas: -- You can buy replacement tent pole sections for most any tent -- with a choice of Easton aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fiber in various diameters -- here: https://tentpoletechnologies.com -or- if you don't want to mess with replacing a section yourself, you can send yours in and have them do it for you. -- You can buy do-in-yourself tent coatings either from REI or directly from their supplier in Lynnwood (if you need a lot) and apply to the reverse side of your tent floor (assuming the peeling is from just one side). I did this on an old A-frame tent and was ok with the result, even though it was a little stiffer afterwards. But it stuck well and didn't peel.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 pm 
I also didn't want to pay for a footprint, but somewhere I picked up a bit of Tyvek that I cut to size. It's done a great job, although after 8-ish years, the Tyvek is getting kind of fuzzy and dirt/bark tends to stick to it. I don't know if it will help at this point, but it might be worth looking for some cheap Tyvek or one of the other DIY options and making your own footprint.