Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's your favorite kind of tree?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 am 
I was partly razzing you (teasing), but also my memory of manzanita was large shrub like, mostly for its’s impenetrable character.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 1:21 pm 
veronika wrote:
??? I thought it was a tree. We had them where I grew up in California.
I have always considered them a shrub, though they can get quite large. I lived in California for 12 years and loved hiking through manzanita in the upper Mojave Desert, Angeles National Forest and through the mountains of the Central coast. Wikipedia does include "tree" in its definition, i.e. "small tree". Quote: Manzanita is a common name for many species of the genus Arctostaphylos. They are evergreen shrubs or small trees present in the chaparral biome of western North America, where they occur from Southern British Columbia and Washington to Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas in the United States, and throughout Mexico.

veronika

veronika
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 2:29 pm 
I love the dark brown color of the trunks. And the wood is hard as hell! They are like mazes hiking through them. 👍

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm 
Gwen wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Western red cedar is by far my favorite. I love the fibrous bark and the gnarled forms ancient specimens take. I love the way the wood smells when cut. I love the clear, even grain and the soft feel of the raw wood. I love how seasoned logs seemingly jump apart when split. I love the crackly fires they make. I love how they can grow right out of a river bank, seemingly right out of the water. I also like paper Birch and Vine Maple when it grows in open areas under dense canopies.
I love this description! Not just a name on a list, but all the reasons why! And so we'll written. I can see, smell, feel, even hear the tree.
wub.gif Thank you.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 4:36 pm 
Since I'm not allowed to pick larch. . . Here's my second choice: It's probably a shrub, although I've seen it as tall as a small tree--it's the off-trail hiker's favorite, devil's club! Makes a perfect hand-hold for those forbidding the larch in this survey! I would have picked the larch, if allowed, at any time of year. I'll never forget when we moved to NE Oregon in 1972 and drove up into the Blue Mts. in October seeking firewood. I'd never seen or heard of larch before then, and I was in awe. Of course most of the local residents call it tamarack, but it's really the western larch. I later became acquainted with the even more spectacular alpine larch.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:47 pm 
When I lived in Western Washington, Cedar. Now that Im an Eastern kid, LARCH baby. Especially since they are on my property. LOL

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln