Forum Index > Trail Talk > larches from the road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 5:29 pm 
Are there any good roadside viewings of larches? My wife broke her foot and any hiking is out for at least a month... Thanks for any tips!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 7:46 pm 
Swauk Pass - take the forest service road south several miles, like you're going to Haney Meadows. I've gotten some fantastic larch pics over the years.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:18 pm 
Alpine larches: Washington Pass Harts Pass (call the ranger station about road conditioners before leaving) Cutthroat TH Western larches: Blewett Pass area Upper Icicle Road E side Loup Loup Pass Sherman Pass Basically all over the eastern side mountainous forests

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:23 pm 
I was in the Teanaway and talked to someone that had attempted getting to Haney Meadows, but found that the north aspect road that climbs to the south side of Diamond Head was snow covered and even though they had AWD, they weren't willing to attempt that steep narrow section.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:47 pm 
That’s a scary section of road even without snow. There used to be a Jeep at the bottom that had rolled off the cliff. Also, from past experience, the larches in that area wouldn’t be changing color until after mid-October. We drove over Loup Loup a couple of days ago and those larches are changing nicely.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 9:46 pm 
Dog Lake, just over on the east side of White Pass. The giant ones are NE of Tonasket

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 7:53 am 
Given the snow in the Washington Cascades and mostly colder temperatures, I would probably go south to Oregon. There are larches east of Chinook and White Passes, at Deadman's Pass on I-84, and I've seen reports that say Shevlin Park near Bend has great Western Larch: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Shevlin_Park_Loop_Hike The Western larch usually trail Lyall's larch in turning color by a week or two, so I would probably try to follow Deadman's Pass and Shevlin Park for timing. There are probably I-84 webcams that might give an idea or just do some googling.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:50 am 
Nancyann wrote:
That’s a scary section of road even without snow.
Definitely. I've been over that way larching with E.K. back in the day (Oct_2010). We were in my Camry. And one of the roads was across a huge scree slope with larches and other conifers scattered up and down. It is rather intimidating to drive it. Such a long run out. I wonder if this is the same place. ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm 
Larches from my driveway. LOL.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 pm 
Awesome! I think BPJ just invited you to his place to enjoy larches?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Nancyann wrote:
That’s a scary section of road even without snow.
Definitely. I've been over that way larching with E.K. back in the day (Oct_2010). We were in my Camry. And one of the roads was across a huge scree slope with larches and other conifers scattered up and down. It is rather intimidating to drive it. Such a long run out. I wonder if this is the same place. ~z .
That section of road is a little like a baby Deadhorse. The road is narrow, in this case there are no pullouts. No guard rail or anything like one. Not enough room to turn a car around, if you had to turn back it would be in reverse. If you lose control, it wouldn't end well. Here's the view from that section, though:
I passed a car on the way down
I passed a car on the way down
BUT, before you get to that section, perhaps a thousand feet lower, the road passes through a larch forest:
Only one peak-a-boo view of the Stuart Range
Only one peak-a-boo view of the Stuart Range
These are all western not alpine larches. That may or may not matter to your wife. If not, they go off a week or two later. Fun fact: there are 15+ species of larix around the world, the western larches are the tallest anywhere.