Forum Index > Trail Talk > Was there a dog missing up by Twin Sisters Lakes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm 
Tl;dr: I think we found a dead dog on the side of the western lake. frown.gif ETA: I've contacted a FS person I know in the CE district, they'll start working on lost dog reports tomorrow. I have a picture but the body was in very poor shape and I feel like it might be in bad taste to just throw it out there.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:32 pm 
That's too bad. I believe the missing dog you're thinking of was Anderson/Watson Lakes, so not in the same area.

veronika

veronika
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am 
Do you know the breed?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:19 am 
Sounds like there's no FS record of a missing dog in the area so it's sort of a dead end. The body was so badly decomposed that figuring breed is almost impossible, but the little hair left on a foot seemed white and wavy, mid length maybe. Looked like it could have been in the #30-#40 range perhaps, skull was not that large nor wide/short. My husband thought it was a coyote at first but that foot was completely wrong. The nails were also striped and grown out like a domestic dog instead of worn down like I'd expect from a free roaming 'yote. I suppose another possibility is that someone buried a beloved dog up there and didn't do it deep enough to keep scavengers out. In any case, I thought I'd try just in case someone was frantically trying to get one more search in before weather shuts it all down.

~Mom jeans on wheels
veronika

veronika
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm 
Thanks. Some friends were looking for a golden retriever... Fairly recent though. Poor baby. bawl.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.