PostMon Oct 07, 2019 7:05 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 pm 
great video. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 5:47 pm 
As someone who also loves ONP, but lives >6 hours away, I really enjoy these "off season" TRs that you locals post. Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!

reststep

reststep
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:45 pm 
Thanks for the report. I guess that bridge now pretty much does go nowhere but at one time there was a resort in that area across the bridge with cabins for rent. I remember going there when I was a kid. I remember sitting outside one evening and watching a fisherman catch some nice trout out of the river.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am 
You did better than me. I have not been able to find anything on the internet about a Staircase Resort. We may have some old family pictures of the area but the problem is if we do I have no idea where they are.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 9:27 pm 
Staircase Resort was across the river from the Forest Service ranger station and campground--I think it was there by 1930. It was a collection of rustic cabins. It operated until the late 1950s or so.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 11:11 am 
When our family stayed at Staircase Resort it was probably in the mid to late 40's. Do you have or know of any pictures or know if any history of the resort is available?

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm 
I don't, but the park might have photos in their archives. The Mason County Historical Society/Museum is another possibility (you could email them and ask--local historical societies often have great photos); US Forest Service records housed at the National Archives in Sand Point could also have something, if a person were very curious and wanted to go digging. Here's what the ONP Historic Resource Study says about the resort, if you are curious. https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/olym/hrs/chap4.htm Prior to the inclusion of the Staircase area into Olympic National Park, Staircase Resort was established on the bank of the North Fork Skokomish River. In the mid 1930s Lester and Anna Dickinson operated the resort as well as packed and guided parties into the mountains. During the fifteen year management by the Dickinsons, the complex of buildings at Staircase evolved (NPS OLYM ca. 1968). By the mid 1940s, Staircase Resort consisted of fourteen furnished and unfurnished cabins. At that time cabin rates ranged from $1.50 to $6.25 a day. Meals were not available, but a store at the resort provided staples and milk (UW 1944, n.d.). In the late 1940s, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Danford took over operation of the resort from the Dickinsons. Eleanor Danford continued as proprietor of Staircase Resort into the early 1950s, during which time management and maintenance of the buildings faltered (UW 1950, 5 December). In the late 1950s Staircase Resort ceased operation, and in subsequent years the Park Service removed most of the buildings. In 1983 one Staircase Resort cabin remained and served as quarters for Park Service employees at Staircase Ranger Station. The citations in that paragraph, creative as they are, do indicate that there's info about the resort in the Preston Macy (OLYM superintendent) collection at UW special collections.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 3:25 pm 
That is interesting. Thanks for the information.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm 
Staircase was once upon a time call Lincoln Guard Station, if that helps. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!