Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 am 
Well, ha ha. I found a class three bike with a throttle. LOL. No I just have to put the dang thing together. Frankly, Im tired of putting things together. SIGH..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 pm 
Did you get the Biktrix or find something else? Many local bike shops will put it together for you for a reasonable fee, and it's probably not a bad idea to make sure everything is tuned and properly tightened up unless you are confident in your skills.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
Did you get the Biktrix or find something else? Many local bike shops will put it together for you for a reasonable fee, and it's probably not a bad idea to make sure everything is tuned and properly tightened up unless you are confident in your skills.
I ended up with the FLX Blade. It actually was less than that Jugernaut equally equipped. That and it comes with a throttle. I get it, but the damn box is going to be so big Im sure its going to difficult to get it someplace to put together.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm 
Ship it to the bike shop. wink.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am 
I thought people here would enjoy this. ‘An e-bike changed my life’

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 am 
Tom wrote:
To be street legal in the US it would need to be 750W nominal or less. It's also pretty noisy from what I've seen. These things really should be regulated like motorcycles.
Nwhikers is an unusual case, most people buying eBikes in our area are riding them on the Burke Gilman or Sammamish River Trail and places like it, zipping around hundreds of pedestrians, kids on bikes going 5 mph, etc. Regulating them like motorcycles would mean not allowing them on multiple use trails. I don't think many nwhikers would mind because these seem to be really hot trailhead transport especially to places like 3 Fingers where the road is washed out. But most of them are owned by people who will never put them in a car, and generally don't want to ride with traffic. Nobody will bat an eye if you modify them and ride on logging roads. Most trails that allow bikes have a 10 to 15 mph speed limit, again meaning the BGT, SRT, and the MUPs in national parks that things have recently been allowed on.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 am 
Tom wrote:
Just tighten it down until the carbon cracks, and then back off a quarter turn. wink.gif A torque wrench is cheap insurance when you're working on anything where it matters.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 4:20 pm 
Today may have been the last day we could finish our attempts at getting my friend's Radmini to go up a "logging" road so we went up and tried it out. A recap. On a ride up Lone Frank Pass, her bike quit. It would not go. We rode back down to Salmon Meadows. I was glad because the Lone Frank rode was brutal. Later, we went up Buck Pass--which is near Conconully. The same thing happened. We rode on the North Summit road (Loup Loup area) and while going up a side road, her bike quit. Rad sent a new controller. We returned to the North Summit, same road, same outcome at the same place. Rad sent a new motor. We got a bit further, then her bike quit. While looking at it back home, we noticed the chain was rubbing on the rear tire. We took it over to the bike shop in Winthrop and they worked on it while we wandered around town. They found that the brake (rotor?) was bent and adjusted other mechanical things for about $40. up.gif up.gif Today's test was a success. The bike went all the way and kept going. We decided that the Winthop bike shop would be our go to place for mechanical work. I'm thinking that Wenatchee may be the closest for motor work. There is a bike store downtown that says they work on all brands of bikes and I do know they sell Trek ebikes. If one is not electrically inclined, finding a bike shop to work on your ebike can be a problem. The dealer where I bought my Gazelle said that a Trek shop ought to be able to work on it. Both have Bosch motors.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 pm 
Im geting my FLX Blade on Friday. Im going to try and put her together and hope to go on a ride Saturday. FLX Blade

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm 
Just noticed the blade only comes in one frame size. Hopefully the 19" frame isn't too big for you. Looks like stand over height is 30".

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 pm 
Tom wrote:
Just noticed the blade only comes in one frame size. Hopefully the 19" frame isn't too big for you. Looks like stand over height is 30".
Well I have to admit, I didn't think of that. You mean the frame at the seat post attachment is 30"? Well my inseam is 32. I hope that works.

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I will say that speed is THE most mentioned factor when it comes to folks wanting to ban ebikes. If you get one, please ride it politely.
100% agree. I commute every day on the SRT by bike & have been doing so for 16+ years. Some ebikers for whom this is the first bike that they have ridden regularly do not seem to understand that blowing by at 30 mph without announcing yourself is really a jerk move. I do support people riding ebikes since that gets more folks out of cars. Perhaps some bike etiquette lessons should be provided with every ebike purchase.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 am 
kvpair wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I will say that speed is THE most mentioned factor when it comes to folks wanting to ban ebikes. If you get one, please ride it politely.
100% agree. I commute every day on the SRT by bike & have been doing so for 16+ years. Some ebikers for whom this is the first bike that they have ridden regularly do not seem to understand that blowing by at 30 mph without announcing yourself is really a jerk move. I do support people riding ebikes since that gets more folks out of cars. Perhaps some bike etiquette lessons should be provided with every ebike purchase.
I see a few postings on a facebook group about going fast and wanting to go faster. I play the grump and post that they ought to get a motorcycle if they want to go fast. I have not reached the speeds on my ebike that I have done going downhill on an acoustic bike. I don't think I want to.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 11:57 am 
I'm following this thread because I love bikes. (My screen name is a play on words, means bike path.) A lot of roadies are really upset about eBikes existing, I think it's great. I annoy people on a bike forum telling them you can't put the genie back in the bottle, the best thing to do is accept that this is happening and look at the positives. I'm sure I'll have an eBike one day. I've rented one a few times recently while an ankle injury prevents me from riding my Cervelo. I'm appreciating the stuff that gets posted in here. You folks are providing a free education.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:22 pm 
On another forum, a person wrote that she felt safer on her ebike. She didn't have to hurtle down hills at speeds she was not comfortable with in order to make it up an oncoming hill. With an ebike, you can ride down at a speed you feel safe with and then get up the other side with the assist.