Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Atlas of the Underworld - Where do Mountains Come From?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm 
Here is a fascinating article about plate tectonics, how much this branch of science hahasd changed since the 1960s, and how it's integrated with other sciences. Things like 3D tomo using seismic waves, experiments carried out at very high pressure, and models benefiting from the incredible growth of computing power have made today's version of the theory almost unrecognizable compared to the 1967 version. Normally I would quote a paragraph or two to give you an idea what to expect from the article, but there's so much good stuff in here and it's all so interrelated, I don't even know where to begin. It's worth a half hour of your time. 🙂 https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/10/plate-tectonics-runs-deeper-than-we-thought/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm 
next thing you know you'll be telling us there's no Santa Claus! I know where mountains come from... Edvard Grieg figured it out long ago:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 pm 
This is a an interesting article. There’s so much we still don’t understand about how plate tectonics actually function. I remember- a long time ago that it just couldn’t be a coincidence that the coasts Africa and South America seemed to fit and yet geologists then, didn’t mostly believe that they had been connected.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 pm 
I feel like this photo is relevant here. Eastern edge of the Rockies in central Montana from 30,000'.