Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gorge/Mt. Hood area 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm 
Spent a bit of time east of Portland recently, house sitting/cat sitting for my parents. Did several hikes. Hit an old favorite first, then tried several I haven't done previously. I've never been in either the Salmon-Huckleberry or Badger Creek Wilderness before, even though both are close by. Wasn't particularly enamored with either. Anyway, did Wahkeena Falls trail to Angels Rest first. I've done that several times, although I don't think I've brought a camera previously.
edited--I think I did this last year around Thanksgiving. Parts of the trail looked fairly scorched at that point from the Eagle Creek fire. The trees are still charred but otherwise you can't even tell there was a fire now. The brush has grown back with a vengeance in this area in the last year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
I got a too late start for a longish loop in the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness, so I ended up cutting it short and backtracking. Plenty of climbing but no views. I should've gone the other direction to start the loop so I could've enjoyed the Salmon River for however many miles. Oh well. No pics of that one. Got an earlier start for the next outing and did complete a loop in the Badger Creek Wilderness. I successfully turned about an 8.5 mile loop into more like 15 or 16. The last bit of the road looked sketchy so I parked and did some extra walking, plus I missed a junction so got even more bonus distance. There would've been a few nice views of Hood but what started out as a clear day ended up with a big cloud sitting right on top of the mountain. My best views were during the road walk. The hike was okay but not likely I'll repeat it. I did see 11 ravens closely clumped together fly by, never seen that many before. Later on saw 4 gray jays (I will not call them Canada jays, ornithologists need to stop suddenly changing the names of birds) having a bath in a puddle caused by wheel ruts.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
I've been curious about Wahtum Lake for years. Nearby Lost Lake is a family favorite. Finally made it to Wahtum. Kind of a long, slow drive to get there. Beautiful fall colors currently along the road. The lake is pleasant, tree ringed. There is an easy 4 mile loop around the lake, mostly utilizing the PCT. The kicker is a short, steep spur up to the top of Chinidere Mtn. (you can also climb Tomlike Mtn., slightly off trail, but I didn't do that this time). Most of the loop, the forest floor is completely covered by beargrass. That must be nice around June or so when they are blooming. From the top of Chinidere is at least a 5 volcano view, maybe 6. Jefferson, Hood, Adams, Rainier and St. Helens, and possibly the top of North Sister. Also a birdseye view of the damage along the Eagle Creek drainage. Amazing how much damage one dumb kid with a firecracker can cause.
Hood is kinda washed out looking in the pictures but the view from the top of Chinidere is stunning.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:48 pm 
oops, the TR title should've included specific dates--9/30 thru 10/6

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 pm 
I spend a lot of time up there, it's a neat area. Be *very* cautious on that road, the sight lines around corners suck and it may seem like the middle of nowhere, but it gets a lot of traffic. Good tip on Chinidere, I'll have to check that out. Another spot for 5 mtn views is continuing past the lake and taking the 1 mile easy trail to Indian peak. The lower slopes have great views. Eagle Creek from the N shoulder of Indian peak

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers