Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:50 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Just because it's 'all over the internet' does not remove *your* moral fingerprints when *you* do it.
What's the moral fingerprint of helping fellow hikers?
For real! I think MtnGoat skipped several steps in his moral reasoning. *bigethicsfailgrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 3:02 pm 
The parallels to the global warming thread are striking.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What's the moral fingerprint of helping fellow hikers? My mom taught me to share.
The moral fingerprint is that their impacts accrue to you. Sharing is great, but it still comes with impacts.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
For real! I think MtnGoat skipped several steps in his moral reasoning. *bigethicsfailgrins* Rumi
I'm always willing to consider an argument. Present one. Snark doesn't qualify.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I'm always willing to consider an argument. Present one. Snark doesn't qualify.
For someone that regularly employs snark, you are always asking others not to employ it.
MtnGoat wrote:
The moral fingerprint is that their impacts accrue to you.
Just asserting something doesn't make it so. Even moreso when it comes to stuff like this which is both complex and not well understood. If you think you can make the case, get to it. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
So would some of these conversations occur if they were in person?

When I grow up I wanna play.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Just asserting something doesn't make it so.
It does when you precede it by saying here's the deal.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 8:17 am 
complex? not really its stupid simple for all you who post on SENSITIVE semi accessible area's.. are you all frigiing BLIND??...CHOPPED TREES, fire pits in the meadow's...dogshit and human toilet paper EVERYWHERE.... dead fish guts and heads in the clean outlet creek.(PLEASE throw those guts in the deep water, the other fish eat them) 20 people with music is not what I want to see in the pristine areas near popular lakes...I do expect that at those popular area's have all that and more...but the amazing thing about the n.w. is that we can go a short distance to very PRISTINE area's...THAT sh## IS OVER WHEN YOU POST ON AMAZING and easy access area's...frigging amateurs! NO ONE HAS ACTUALLY given a good reason to post reports when visiting sensitive area's ......to 12,000 people here or on social media...'I just wanna share" sure aint one....

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am 
RumiDude wrote:
For someone that regularly employs snark, you are always asking others not to employ it.
RumiDude wrote:
Just asserting something doesn't make it so. Even moreso when it comes to stuff like this which is both complex and not well understood. If you think you can make the case, get to it. Rumi
Oh please, not liking arguments does not make them snark. You claimed I skipped steps, but you cannot even make the argument how I did so. You went for the snark, got called, and now evade rather than retracting or explaining your argument. There's nothing 'complex and demanding' in the argument I just made. When a person does something, they are responsible for doing the something, and it's existence (since it did not exist prior). When someone else uses what you did, you're partly responsible because you created the thing in question. If you didn't, they couldn't use it to begin with because it would not exist. This isn't complicated. I never claimed the person is wholly responsible for someone else's choice to visit a place, because of course the party acting on the info is now layering on their responsibility for their choice. Now, please explain where I skipped steps.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 am 
Brushwork wrote:
So would some of these conversations occur if they were in person?
LOL...good catch. Maybe! Good fireside and booze chat.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 am 
joker wrote:
including for instance repeatedly answering the same old questions on WH&C, in the belief that we need to help such forums become more fully mature "on-ramps to the outdoors."
I hope this is worth doing. Do you think it's having an effect on how people behave? For what it's worth, I refuse to have a Facebook account (and they still want to hire me!), I'm not on Instagram, and I don't post many TRs here because I'm mostly going to places where there's nothing left to say. I did post one trip report here that got me hate mail. I didn't realize it was supposed to be a sekret place, it was easy and straightforward to find and hike to. I'm not the only one with access to satellite photos and some curiosity. I love the hiking community and I'm glad to be a part of it. Our one flaw (all people and communities have them) is too much sense of ownership and exclusion of others, about public land.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 10:15 am 
the point is not that no one else has access to imagery or maps. This is the equal opportunity shared resource It's that you focused interest there, negating the process for the path of 'discovering' the spot.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
joker wrote:
including for instance repeatedly answering the same old questions on WH&C, in the belief that we need to help such forums become more fully mature "on-ramps to the outdoors."
I hope this is worth doing. Do you think it's having an effect on how people behave?
Well it's hard to say how much of that sort of effect it's having. But it IS for sure helping answer questions for a bunch of hiking newbies, and given my concern that online on-ramps are generally meager on education (particularly the very broad large scale ones like Instagram and FB; nwh IMO actually has a decent chunk of super accessible/discoverable content on things like safety, gear, technique, etc.) it seems like a worthwhile investment. I'm seeing more other people doing the same and somewhat less of the rude and superior replies when some poor newcomer asks the same old questions. And I *have* seen that more people seem willing to speak up about things like managing one's impacts (both online and out in the hills) despite the snark and worse that some dish out toward such efforts. The tide has shifted at least a bit there - which is about as I'd expect. These things take time. I've also seen some shift in the approach of most of the modmins, which may or may not relate to people like me chiming in both in public and in messages to them. I do know for sure that my messages to the modmins get more considered attention due to the fact that I'm seen as a contributor of positive and thoughtful content - more than one has given me this feedback. And, perhaps almost as importantly for my own sake, it's given me more insight into the dynamics of this group which is increasingly relevant to the local hiking community, like it or not (and to be clear I have ambivalence - I see pros and cons both but believe that in the long term the pros may outweigh the cons, but I'm an optimist who believes things such as that community members can influence the norms of the community ;-) ). I should add that I see some people there who definitely just want to tell people to stop sharing any location info, and this black-and-white treatment of the topic certainly makes it harder for people like me as well as for the LNT.ORG folks who have a more nuanced "think about the impact first" take on the topic - there's a tendency to view ALL of us as simply wanting to horde the public resource for ourselves, which I assure you is not my intent. But I believe that when people like me continue to share our POV (and consistently back it up with generosity with various types of info sharing including the sort of location sharing that has survived the "think about it first" test), it gives "cover" for others who may have otherwise kept silent do the same. I can't prove this is happening but I know from much experience as well as sociological studies in other domains that this dynamic is likely happening here too. And yeah, I have some former colleagues who have made a few runs at my joining them at FB. I don't think that's gonna happen for various reasons at this point, including that I don't have a passion to help harness attention for the purpose of selling ads...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 11:26 am 
Good post Joker.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am 
We have to remember that there are flat out more people than ever in the puget sound area, esp around Seattle and east side. They are young-ish, 20's and 30's, often with no kids, have tons of disposable income, and a penchant for going on hikes and taking selfies and posting them on social media. They are often likely to bring their dog on the trail too. When anyone new to the area asks me where to go hiking, I mention Rattlesnake ridge and Mt. Si. Sigh. I think where we're headed is a permit system for places like Alpine Lakes wilderness. Solitude is no more.