Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bootjack + Highchair + Cradle Lake loop 12 oct 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Oct 13, 2019 6:56 pm 
I wanted a short objective and also hoped to finally use snowshoes for the first time this year, so I decided to visit Bootjack + Highchair mountains. Saturday morning was still very-very cold as I drove down Icicle creek road almost to the end and parked in the completely empty blackpine creek trailhead. There was compact snow and ice on the road and snow started right from the beginning, so I had high hopes as I carried my snowshoes up. Snow was wet and icy and it made all the bushes and maples bend across the trail, making for fun, but somewhat slow progress. Unfortunately, while some areas had deep snow, others only had a tiny layer and the open high slopes exposed to sun actually often melted almost completely. So there was not consistent enough coverage for snowshoes frown.gif Sigh. The trail to Bootjack is easy enough, however ice/snow was consistent enough to make boulder fields extremely slippery and also hide lots of large/deep holes, making traverse from Bootjack to Highchair more challenging than I hoped. Me and Cookie fell through rocks many-many times and our progress was miserably slow. Plus, surprisingly, snow didn't seem to deter millions of mosquitoes living along Highchair slopes. The view from Highchair though is amazing, much better than from Bootjack. The Cradle is right in front and dominates the view. Everything is snow covered and pretty. Lots of larches too. As I looked around surroundings from the Highchair I was not looking forward postholing and slipping through talus field coming back down again. So I had a bright idea - why don't I cut through the ridge toward Crade lake, find nice trail there and go back down that way. It was a bad idea. Eventually ridge became very narrow and super slippery and steep and I had to drop back down quite a lot, again avoiding several cliffy areas and postholing. It took insane amount of time to drop and climb back on the other side and finally get to Cradle lake as sun was already setting frown.gif The area of Cradle lake and Snowall trail (that I lost many times in snow) is exceptionally pretty. Much prettier than Bootjack trail and with no dead/burned trees. Looks healthy and nice. With snow under full moon this area is super cool. So many wildlife tracks in the snow everywhere too! However it is very-very long. But even worse is french creek trail. It is super long and boring. And to get there one has to ford french creek: waist deep, fast and cold. Didn't see a single person and ended up hiking for 15 hours to complete the loop. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4152569976

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm 
Gorgeous and gutsy trip! That is a great area.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message