Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trump administration proposes new logging in nation's largest national forest CNN 10/15/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 pm 
Trump administration proposes new logging in nation's largest national forest - CNN 10/15/19 oh yeah.... like we didn't see this one coming....

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm 
Cut, burn, and head North. Same as it ever was.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 am 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 am 
Taxpayers for Common Sense, in the article cited above wrote:
The federal government has a responsibility to ensure a fair return to the public for development of taxpayer-owned resources.
They do? What's the statute number? There's no law that says the United States Forest Service has to make a profit, or even break even, on any timber sales or on sales of "other forest products" (e.g., mushrooms, berries, salal, beargrass, boughs, etc.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 am 
No more logging old growth!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:24 pm 
"Alaska Republican Gov. Mike Dunleavy has said he personally raised the forest's productive potential with President Donald Trump. He said the 2001 rule "shut down the timber industry in Southeast Alaska, wiping out jobs and economic opportunity," but the new proposal is "the first step to rebuilding an entire industry, putting Alaskans back to work, and diversifying Alaska's economy." up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
No more logging old growth!
Define old growth please. It seems to change and I do not know what it is anymore. This post is neither for or against the "logging". But I would like a definition of old growth.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 4:22 pm 
Environmental regulations didn't kill the logging industry, that's simply industry propaganda. The true causes are self-inflicted. Overharvesting, greed, and resource mismanagement are the root-causes. I'm all for sustainable logging.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 am 
Downhill wrote:
Environmental regulations didn't kill the logging industry, that's simply industry propaganda. The true causes are self-inflicted. Overharvesting, greed, and resource mismanagement are the root-causes. I'm all for sustainable logging.
Uh, the logging industry is not dead. As you haven't specified the location of the death, I'll say that it is going on in the lower 48. It's more mechanized now, but still going. The recession/depression winnowed it out more. What I've found is that the bad operators are gone and the remaining/surviving folks are pretty good, and pretty good to work with. There is a timber sale/fuels reduction going on along highway 20--right up to the road on Loup Loup Pass and it looks like a beautiful piece of work. I had to slow down as a crew was dragging slash across the highway to pile. Overall, I found a whole new attitude change from when I started working around it in the 1980s. Loggers are much more professional now and concerned about "how things look". Of course, there probably are still a few bad uns out there somewhere. Equipment for going mechanized is extremely expensive, but so are the L&I insurance costs. Also, finding good people to work for them is a problem. Not many people want to be out in the weather for $16/hr with layoffs for various reasons. As far as I'm concerned, logging has always been sustainable. I've seen some areas grow back that I doubted would, at the time they were logged. Since then, the same areas have been precommercially thinned and the trees putting on growth. If it was non sustainable, we would have no industry at all. I see no reason to stir things up in Alaska. We know how to grow and harvest forests here in the lower 48, where trees grow well.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities