Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCTA needs volunteer trail stewards
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 pm 
The job of a steward is to hike the trail every spring when it melts out, and file a report on conditions. This is used to help plan trail maintenance. Stewards can do basic brush work and clear small blowdowns if comfortable with this type of work. Volunteers tend to feel a sense of connection to their length of trail, and take pride in the work they do to keep it in good condition for thru, section, and day hikers. I adopted the section from Harts Pass to Grasshopper Pass, I've hiked it twice this year. This is one of the most jaw dropping pieces of trail anywhere, and I have a good excuse to go every year. A good and wise friend called this the best decision of a lifetime. If anybody is interested, here is a map showing what's available, it's not 100% up to date but is a good resource nonetheless. https://www.pcta.org/volunteer/adopted-trail-map/ Here's some info to get started. https://www.pcta.org/volunteer/ https://www.pcta.org/volunteer/volunteer-application/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:22 am 
Nobody wants to do the Siskiyous. Just noticed that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am 
Gonna Signup for ridge lake to mineral creek. Maybe I can get extra credit for clearing the mineral creek bushwhack as well...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 am 
up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 9:44 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Nobody wants to do the Siskiyous. Just noticed that.
Did we just find an opportunity for solitude on the PCT?
I am not familiar with the PCT but if you want to live in a third world area-- it had power blackouts years ago, and hide away, the Klamath River area in Northern CA is an excellent choice. Lots of poison oak and bigger sized black bears, and some unfriendly folks to make things interesting. I lived there for a few years. It was beautiful, but I found I had to drive a couple hours to get fresh bread if I didn't make it myself. No radio reception--but some enterprising guys started an internet service that catered to such areas (it was in the dial up years) so we did have that. PG&E cut off the power in the summer if the more populated parts of the state needed more air conditioning. I would go soak in the freezing Salmon River to cool off because our area got hot also. It's a place with stories that are hard to believe unless you've lived there. The PCT is accessed farther upriver in Seiad Valley where I wonder if the Johnny Cash bus still is in existence? Anyway, it is far from cities and larger towns. I do see that the unpopular section (no views) near Walupt Lake has been claimed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 10:59 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
PG&E cut off the power in the summer if the more populated parts of the state needed more air conditioning.
They were starting with that stuff even before the fire risk, huh? What's the story with Johnny Cash's bus, I saw some stories about a restored tour bus going to the R&R HOF but I want to believe there is a more interesting vehicle hidden somewhere near the edge of California...
Yes they were. The lights would only light up the filament part first, and then the power went off. During the summer it was for that reason. During the winter, it also went off but that was due to a pole that would tip over because it was on a mudslide area. The highway would also get blocked off. One stocked up on non perishables for the winter. The Johnny Cash bus--I do not know if it has a story. It was/is just a decrepit bus that was painted black with Johnny Cash painted on it. It sat just off the highway at Seiad Valley. I don't think it ever moved.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm 
NPR's Marketplace went out with a volunteer crew on the PCT. Nice to see the issue of trail maintenance getting national attention. https://www.marketplace.org/2019/10/17/u-s-parks-and-trails-rely-on-a-volunteer-labor-force/