Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > America's National Parks could be one week away from handing campgrounds over to private companies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm 
Theme parking "America's Best Idea" https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/10/12/1891978/-While-impeachment-looms-the-National-Park-System-could-lose-its-campgrounds-in-just-one-week Think eBikes are bad on NPS trails? How about rental quad ATVs?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 pm 
Congressional Switchboard: 202 224 3121

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm 
I wouldn’t expect any thing else from this crowd hurl.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 4:41 pm 
This is troubling, and seems to justify a call or email to one's Congresspersons. I will have to look for some better reportage about this than the linked article - eg, it references the "Recreation Fee Demonstration Program that went into effect over the last two years." The Fee-Demo program was from 1996-2004 and was repealed by the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA), which is currently used to authorize the quota permits in the Central Oregon Cascades, as well as those NWFP we know and love. Here's a link from The Hill: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/465416-committee-pushes-national-park-service-to-privatize-camp-grounds Seems a bit like an argument for a cash grab:
Quote:
The memo argues that the 50 percent discount for seniors should apply only to base campsite fees and encourages NPS to introduce “new senior fee blackout periods during peak season periods.”
Sept 24th ORAC memo in full: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1892/upload/ORAC_Reorg_SC_letter_9-24-2019.pdf And here's who's in ORAC: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1892/made-in-america-rac.htm

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm 
A hysterical opinion piece about roller coasters and ATVs in national parks being run by by campaign donors ykm.gif When in reality its just gonna be campgrounds being managed by a company like Hoodoo which already maintains cg's in the national forest. So instead of the NPS having to hire people to clean toilets in the campgrounds they could put that money to better use by like trail maintenance.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 pm 
The author loses some credibility with his explanation for the motives behind the plan, e.g. it's being done for the glee of destruction. That doesn't seem plausible. Wonder what else he got wrong? In any case, I like the campgrounds the way they are and hope they can stay as they are. The National Parks are super. I just renewed my annual pass!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:58 pm 
A lot of campgrounds in the National Park System are already managed by private concessionaires - that's nothing new. Kalaloch Lodge (and the little store and the restaurant) are handled by Delaware North. (Not sure whether they manage the campground.... but I'm inclined to think not, as the "campground host" is assigned by NPS.) The concessionaire thing is nothing new. Selling the real estate is an entirely different ball of wax. Are there any other articles that support this claim about selling?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm 
Bearnardo wrote:
"...the motives behind the plan..."
The motives behind anything coming out of the current administration in Washington DC should be clear and obvious. Ralphie summed it up succinctly in "A Christmas Story" in the scene where he and Randy are ripping open their packages under the tree: "unbridle avarice". It's the result of not having received the love and nurturing needed in early childhood - the result is adults who constantly strive for more: more money, more buildings, more real estate, more, more, and more. Unfortunately, more is never enough. Tragically sad humans. The disease of more. It's mental illness. Simple. Not rocket science.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
Bearnardo wrote:
"...the motives behind the plan..."
The motives behind anything coming out of the current administration in Washington DC should be clear and obvious. Ralphie summed it up succinctly in "A Christmas Story" in the scene where he and Randy are ripping open their packages under the tree: "unbridle avarice". It's the result of not having received the love and nurturing needed in early childhood - the result is adults who constantly strive for more: more money, more buildings, more real estate, more, more, and more. Unfortunately, more is never enough. Tragically sad humans. The disease of more. It's mental illness. Simple. Not rocket science.
So what you're saying is Joe Biden's son is going be on the board of directors of whatever conglomerate will be running the campgrounds?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
So instead of the NPS having to hire people to clean toilets in the campgrounds they could put that money to better use by like trail maintenance.
That's not the way it works. Most likely, that money will go somewhere else. Like the military or ...... that wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 pm 
So when the House democrats write the next budget (budgets originate in the House), they're going to cut the NPS budget and use that money to fund the border wall instead? Is that what you really believe?

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm 
Here is another source for information with links as to who is involved. Safe to say there is no one representing the public in these groups. http://westernslopenofee.org no current info on this issue. The news letter they put out is more informative, unable to provide a link.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 12:22 am 
^ the WesternSlope article cited just above by Waterman deals with the US Forest Service. The article cited by Randy Hiker in the first post is about the National Park Service. Same issue, but two entirely different agencies. Some of the statements in the WesternSlope article are puzzling to me after having several conversations with an employee of Delaware North up at Kalaloch, who told me that all of their pricing has to be approved by NPS.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 am 
Ski is right about western slope has been more concerned about the forest service recreation fees. Western sent out a recent news letter detailing what the national park service is up to. A group of recreational industry insiders , Outdoor Recreation Advisory Committee aka the " made in America committee " is the group pushing for blackout dates, doing away with senior discounts and other ideas. Call your senators.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 1:01 am 
is the newsletter posted somewhere online? I have some concerns about the veracity of the article in the first post now after having looked at some other stuff here. Not that I don't believe the foxes guarding the hen house right now wouldn't sell their own mothers.... but I'd like to see another source on that story.