Forum Index > Trail Talk > Are there some decent places to camp near Stevens Pass in winter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 3:35 pm 
Long story short I got a ski season pass for the first time, and I am excited. My thought was to drive up, ski, then camp the night somewhere near there and get some turns the next morning before heading back. I don't think you can park in their lots overnight which is fine. Basically I'd just need a place to park and then I don't mind pitching my tent wherever. Dunno how far NF-6700 is plowed?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 6:36 pm 
Stevens Pass has an RV lot and there is overnight parking in the north lot. Beyond that you'd have to be either below Scenic on the west side. I'm not sure how far you'd have to go on the east side. Smithbrook Road (6700) is not plowed,

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm 
The Mountaineers lodge at Steven's will cost more, but it is more comfortable. https://www.mountaineers.org/locations-lodges/stevens-lodge

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 pm 
Well there’s always the rest area on the east side, Can’t remember how far it is, should be visible on a map.

When I grow up I wanna play.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:44 am 
There is a plowed road just east of the summit where we had Boy Scouts Build Igloos, and spend the night. It's listed as the "Yodelin Parking Lot" The Snow is deep enough that you would want snowshoes. You would definitely have the place to yourself. There's room for one or two cars to park.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 1:49 pm 
The Yodelin lot fits many more than a few cars, though i suspect very few will camp in tents there. There might be another turn off around there you are thinking of?

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 2:40 pm 
You definitely don't want to park in either the north Yodelin parking lot (private area plowed and paid for by cabin owners, which is actually closed right now while the bridge is being repaired) or the south Yodelin parking lot on the other side of Highway 2 which is for the Stevens Pass employees. The Smithbrook road has a plowed area along the side of Highway 2 for parking in the winter. It's a popular area for boy scouts to snowshoe in a little ways and set up tents or build igloos. Make sure the leaders are avalanche-aware. The steep slopes on some of the road do not make for a safe camping experience. It's also a popular snow-mobile road.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:02 pm 
Alpine Pedestrian wrote:
You definitely don't want to park in either the north Yodelin parking lot (private area plowed and paid for by cabin owners, which is actually closed right now while the bridge is being repaired) or the south Yodelin parking lot on the other side of Highway 2 which is for the Stevens Pass employees. The Smithbrook road has a plowed area along the side of Highway 2 for parking in the winter. It's a popular area for boy scouts to snowshoe in a little ways and set up tents or build igloos. Make sure the leaders are avalanche-aware. The steep slopes on some of the road do not make for a safe camping experience. It's also a popular snow-mobile road.
That sounds correct. I recall that it was just east of the summit, but it's been many years since I was there. There is something to be said for a zero degree bag, doubled up ground pads, and a few hand warmers thrown in the bottom of the bag.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 pm 
Just fill a nalgene bottle with near boiling water!

Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm 
I did exactly this a few years back (the year that we got only 1" of snow - haven't bought a season pass since). I stay in the back of my truck under the cap. I chose Wenatchee Lake cg (state park i think?) It was totally fine until morning when I got super hassled by dudes in uniform. Would suck to be in a tent in that scenario.

GNGSTR
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm 
Luc wrote:
I chose Wenatchee Lake cg (state park i think?
FWIW: During the winter the Lake Wenatchee State Park campground loops are groomed cross country ski tracks. https://parks.state.wa.us/457/Leavenworth-Chelan