Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Alexa evesdropping, and Nest, and ....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 06, 2019 11:22 am 
Alexa has been eavesdropping on you this whole time Duh, anyone who thinks it doesn't or cannot is not making informed purchasing choices. The device *must* be listening at all times in order to hear it's wake word in the first place.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon May 06, 2019 1:28 pm 

~Mom jeans on wheels
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Duh
Politically Correct Religious Freedom Jumbo Shrimp unbiased opinion Internet Privacy oxyMORONs

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
neek

neek
PostMon May 06, 2019 7:34 pm 
Well, I would never buy one of those devices. No sir, only cell phones, tablets, smart watches, fitness trackers, and search engines integrated with email and mapping services for me.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 07, 2019 4:13 am 
The amount of "surprise" that accompanies various electronic privacy media stories amuses me. The NSA has been monitoring various forms of electronic communication almost from it's inception. Why do you think the USA has had laws restricting cryptographic equipment for export that so closely track what can be decrypted at reasonable speed by specialized equipment? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/56-bit_encryption My grandson's other set of grandparents have Alexa in their Mcmansion, he thought it was great fun a couple years ago to shout out "Alexa what's 1 plus 2?" Or so I'm told.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 am 
~Mom jeans on wheels
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm 
I received one as a gift! An Alexa that is. First thing you see in the unboxing procedure is a note telling you verbatim! " This device will record you in your home" please!! Who you think I am?? You think I'm looking to be recorded at all times?? By bizos??? C'mon, now! Never plugged it in! And its probably still recording me to be honest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 1:52 am 
https://bgr.com/2019/01/10/ring-camera-customer-feeds-accessed-creepy-privacy-violation/ “ All that’s apparently required to tap into the live feeds is a customer’s email address. Meaning, the company has been so egregiously lax when it comes to security and privacy that even people outside the company could have potentially done this, using merely an email address to begin spying on customers, according to the report. Within the company, a team that was supposed to have been focused on helping Ring get better at object recognition in videos caught customers in videos doing everything from kissing to firing guns and stealing.”

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 am 
Comcast keeps hounding me to get one of their voice remotes. Not a chance in #=(( . I mean how lazy have people become where pushing a button on the remote is too much work? I was given an Alexa thing as a gift, it went straight into the Value Village give-away box. How much longer until these types of devices are required by law? You know, homeland security and all. If you got nothing to hide whats the big deal, am I right? Oh yeah, seeing as our government changes every 8-10 years you never know if you are going to be on the side of good or evil, so you don't even know if you do have something to hide since the "others" are pure evil and out to get you. breakdance.gif peace.gif strange.gif naughty.gif crazy.gif divide and conquer...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:43 am 
~Mom jeans on wheels
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 am 
I feel weird talking to inanimate electronics. Plus they tend to get it wrong half the time. It's easier and faster to do it the "old fashioned" way.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 4:35 pm 
I don’t think you have the voice remote thing figured out. First off, you have to hold down a button to get it to listen. It is not constantly listening for its name like siri or hey google or alexa. Secondly, it does things difficult or impossible to do with buttons. Like search for upcoming movies across all channels featuring a particular actor. Or jumping ahead or back a specific amount of time. Or searching the internet for artists or titles on sites like Youtube if you have a connected internet TV. So it is not laziness, at least not on our part.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 6:10 pm 
No AI or anything like it will EVER be in my home! down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 am 
I'm not interested in giving appgoogyah any more data or access than I explicitly control via my keyboard.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers