Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 3:35 pm 
reststep wrote:
It seems to me like the end of the Suiattle River would qualify as being remote especially now that from what I hear the trail is non existent.
Pretty non existent above Chocolate creek, but it definitely exists before then.... some parts have been brushed out, not all.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 6:09 pm 
Wild lake. Ive only met one man who's ever been there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pm 
Where is Wild Lake? There is not a Wild Lake listed in my Lakes of Washington books. Edit: BPJ, are you talking about the lake up near Pioneer Ridge and Mt. Crowder?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 pm 
I’d bow to opinion of whomever it was that listed slide alder as their favorite tree. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:28 am 
reststep wrote:
Where is Wild Lake? There is not a Wild Lake listed in my Lakes of Washington books. Edit: BPJ, are you talking about the lake up near Pioneer Ridge and Mt. Crowder?
Mt. Crowder yes. Wild lake. Graciously borrowed from the legendary hiker who gave it to me.
wild lake
wild lake
Wild lake 2
Wild lake 2

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:52 am 
When are you going?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Where is Wild Lake?
It looks like it might be the lake at 4880' which is remote alright. It is down the street from the Lonesome Creek that I mentioned.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 1:37 pm 
Wow BPJ, I just looked at the map... how the heck did he get there??

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm 
iron wrote:
rhinos go everywhere
Hey, I NEVER claimed to have been there. I said that a very accomplished person I knew went there. He gave me those pictures. He went in there via Trappers Peak.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 pm 
How about going up Goodell Creek?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 pm 
The Wild Lake being mentioned is the headwater of Goodell Creek.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm 
Anyone ever been down Picket Creek?

Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 pm 
Great topic for the "off-season" debate - when it's getting too snowy for reasonable foot travel and still too early for skis, boards and 'shoes. Is this the so-called "Side Season"? What else can keep us busy here? Hmm, maybe a trip south to the desert (who's in?). It's all in your definition, right? The term "remote" seems loosely enough defined and widely open to interpretation that I'll just jump in. For me, it means not just the distance from the nearest road, trail, town, or cell tower, it's definitely that for sure but it's also the inaccessibility based on ease of travel over a given expanse of terrain - i.e. effort, calories per hour/mile + route finding. A mile riding a horse in the remote, open terrain of the Pasayten is not the same as a 1+K elevation/mile "C-F" through slide alder, vine maple, and devils club in N Cascades - on foot. The remoteness and difficulty of access is more than just miles. Also, for this discussion, I'm ignoring technical climbing routes, I'm just considering just the aspects of access. I've done zero empirical research on this topic, so take it on that basis. My guess is that the most remote places are probably somewhere in the Northern or Southern Picketts - for example, Mox Peaks or farther south like Gunsight Peak. Personally, I think the longest approach I've done in WA was Mt. Challenger via Easy Ridge. Not an uncommon approach, but still a very long way, and many hours from the car/TH/road with an approach that involves more-than-zero route-finding and bushwacking. Another perspective on "remoteness" could be that of solitude, the lack of other humans, or evidence of human traffic and impact. I have actually felt more solitude, remoteness in places much closer in, than based on distance in miles alone. Every season, I intentionally seek out places of solitude, places unfamiliar to the "masses" and I'm always pleasantly surprised how many areas there still are with nearly no human marks, yet remarkably close to common, hyper-popular destinations. For example, I've been eyeing a body of water that's less than 1 mile from the Enchantments permit zone boundary, that would take a hard xc day to reach, and I believe it has seen fewer than 10 people, ever (possibly even half that) - so do we define that as "remote" even though it's relatively close, gauged in miles, to places so overrun by the hoards?

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 pm 
Monument and Lake of The Woods Mountain. It's out there a fair bit.

dave56

dave56
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 6:34 pm 
Most remote? A luna creek exit from luna cirque In the pickets. Did it a couple years ago to evac an injured member of our trio midway through a picket traverse. We didn’ t see anyone; gee, wonder why curse.gif You could also reverse it and head up luna creek to luna cirque right off the big beaver trail. Looks pretty straightforward from that perspective. smile.gif