Forum Index > Trip Reports > A North Cascades Traverse: Watson - Berdeen - Blum (Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I never put a line into Berdeen Lake. But what is that interesting lure Deb used to catch that fat cut?
I believe it's a Luhr Jensen Super Duper..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 7:14 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Nice to see some posts from some old timers that I haven’t seen much from for awhile too 😀
I've been workin' the back room.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I never put a line into Berdeen Lake. But what is that interesting lure Deb used to catch that fat cut?
I believe it's a Luhr Jensen Super Duper..
Looks to be a black/yellow Jake's Spin-a-Lure, possibly used on this trip per my reco. Similar to Super Duper but bigger and heavier.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am 
Nert Lake has never held fish (I helped stock it once) so it wasn't one of the lakes that NCNP poisoned like the Blums. The lake you called Upper Nert we normally call Talus Tarn. I hope you got a chance to fish the other lakes along the way to Berdeen. And to Brushbuffalo, I would call that a skinny cutt. I agree with DIYSteve, that looks like a black and yellow Jakes Spin-A-Lure. We used to call them Wyoming Whoopies back in the old days before the internet when you could only get them in the Rocky Mountain states. They are still one of my favorite lures.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am 
The serious bass guys are throwin' out lures upwards of $400!! That's crazy, I prefer to stay within the realm of the trout game where you don't have to risk losing lures costing that much to the waters to be relevant at local and/or regional levels

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 10:18 am 
$400 lures? Where do you buy those?

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am 
Talking these - https://carolinafishingtackle.com/products/roman-made-mother-swimbait You gotta be a decorated angler to be worthy of throwing these. If you're real bold you cast into alpine lakes with no bass just to show how confident you are that you won't lose the lure, really just an ego thing.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 am 
Wow. Reading through the copy I thought that had to be a parody site.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Nert Lake has never held fish (I helped stock it once)
confused.gif 'never held fish but was stocked.' confused.gif
Brian Curtis wrote:
Wow. Reading through the copy I thought that had to be a parody site.
Lures costing hundreds of bucks? Seriously? Purchasers must be like those who buy $2000 bottles of wine in restaurants ( definitely not the crowd I hang with) just because they can. At least the bottle of vino won't be lost on a submerged snag with nothing to show for it. ( hijacked.gif sorry for continuing the off topic item.)

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 8:03 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
never held fish but was stocked.
The stocked fish did not survive.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 1:02 pm 
Thanks for a the great write up and pictures. How is the ankle?
cascadetraverser wrote:
Nice to see some posts from some old timers that I haven’t seen much from for awhile too 😀
I was thinking the same thing. Good to see posts from DIYSteve and Dayhike Mike.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:48 am 
Yeah, that cutt aint a fattie.
Brian Curtis wrote:
Nert Lake has never held fish (I helped stock it once) so it wasn't one of the lakes that NCNP poisoned like the Blums.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Pacific Salamanders were thriving in Nert when we last visited it in 2014. Has Ipsoot Lake been poisoned? I caught some nice cutts out of it in 2011 and 2014. I would imagine Ipsoot does not get many visitors.
Brian Curtis wrote:
I agree with DIYSteve, that looks like a black and yellow Jakes Spin-A-Lure. We used to call them Wyoming Whoopies back in the old days before the internet when you could only get them in the Rocky Mountain states. They are still one of my favorite lures.
It's my favorite and most successful high lakes lure -- thanks to your reco several years ago. up.gif I'm working on getting my buds to call them Wyoming Whoopies.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Yeah, that cutt aint a fattie.
Goes to prove, I'm no fisherman since I don't know a fat from a skinny or a ' normal' trout. In fact, when I put a line in still water, the sudden rippling of the surface is due to the fish laughing uproariously at my feeble effort to trick 'em..

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm 
I miss, Big Steve! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
platypus

platypus
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 pm 
Thanks again to everyone for the super warm and positive comments. I'm glad it was fun to read through for some folks and that it brought back good memories to others!
DIYSteve wrote:
Looks to be a black/yellow Jake's Spin-a-Lure, possibly used on this trip per my reco. Similar to Super Duper but bigger and heavier.
Yep, that's the one! Took your recommendation to heart - we couldn't miss with that one or the brass/red. Very cool action on those lures. Thanks again smile.gif.
Brian Curtis wrote:
Nert Lake has never held fish (I helped stock it once) so it wasn't one of the lakes that NCNP poisoned like the Blums. The lake you called Upper Nert we normally call Talus Tarn. I hope you got a chance to fish the other lakes along the way to Berdeen.
That's super interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder why Nert didn't hold fish... wish we'd spent longer there to check it out more thoroughly. I hadn't seen 'Upper Nert' called Talus Tarn before online - that's good to know. Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to fish the other lakes on the way to Berdeen since we were getting into camp pretty late every day. But even so, that one evening of fishing in Berdeen was more than worth it for us!
reststep wrote:
Thanks for a the great write up and pictures. How is the ankle?
Thanks! Ankle's doing great. Took a couple weeks to feel comfortable again for climbing / hiking, but I honestly can't believe how quickly it recovered compared to the previous times I'd injured it.
DIYSteve wrote:
Pacific Salamanders were thriving in Nert when we last visited it in 2014.
Oh awesome. Now I wish even more that we'd stayed at Nert for longer. As I mentioned in the TR, we briefly looked for salamanders at Nert but couldn't find any. Saw tons at Upper Nert / Talus Tarn though.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Pacific Salamanders were thriving in Nert when we last visited it in 2014.
Those were probably northwestern salamanders (Ambystoma gracile). I've been doing amphibian surveys recently so have salamanders on on the brain.
DIYSteve wrote:
Has Ipsoot Lake been poisoned? I caught some nice cutts out of it in 2011 and 2014. I would imagine Ipsoot does not get many visitors.
No, Ipsoot has not been poisoned. Interestingly, it has lots of salamanders, too. But they are very difficult to spot during the day. They come out at night and gather in the shallows. Really cool to see.