Forum Index > Trip Reports > A North Cascades Traverse: Watson - Berdeen - Blum (Aug 29 - Sept 2, 2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 10:07 am 
...looking forward to 30 people at diosbids next summer....great job everyone!! I will be taking some pic's of all the poo and chopped trees as well as the new fire rings built!... with any luck permits will be required in a few years..... up.gif up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I've been doing amphibian surveys recently so have salamanders on on the brain.
Hey maybe you can tell what these creatures are:
Found in a small Olympic Tarn. There are a whole bunch of them visible in the second photo.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:16 pm 
platypus wrote:
I wonder why Nert didn't hold fish... wish we'd spent longer there to check it out more thoroughly.
You didn't miss anything. Really, you can't pass Nert quickly enough in my opinion. Invest that time anywhere else along the route.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Hey maybe you can tell what these creatures are:
Those are almost certainly northwestern salamander larvae. Note the external gills. They retain those to quite a large size.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
platypus

platypus
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 6:50 pm 
I've removed the map from the TR after receiving quite the message from user forest gnome. The map had a few points denoting major landmarks that are easily observable on the USGS topo map, and obviously had no lines or anything of that sort (for all the normal reasons). But if it rustles someone's jimmies this much it's not worth it obviously. I'm not here to start an argument that is obviously better suited for other threads here, but I will note that this isn't an Instagram account with a million followers, it's a trip report on a small forum whose largest subforum is specifically for publishing trip reports. There are also a couple dozen existing trip reports to the Diobsuds over the past decade (several of which are linked in the OP), with a couple giving GPS routes and several having received over 10x the views of this one – yet the ranger at Sedro-Woolley said that only a couple groups got into any of these three cross-country zones each month this summer. There are many effective ways to promote responsible ethics in nature and there are definitely times and places to limit traffic in sensitive wilderness areas (I'm a conservation biologist, so I get it). I don't think that aggressive messages or personal attacks achieve either of these goals.
forest gnome wrote:
with any luck permits will be required in a few years..... up.gif up.gif
Permits are already required.

platypus

platypus
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Those are almost certainly northwestern salamander larvae. Note the external gills. They retain those to quite a large size.
Thank you for the ID tip!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:36 am 
apparently I sound like a cranky old gnome...waterman sent me a message..well apologies to your group platy...will mod. my post as well.. just didn't get to the dios this year and hope not to see too many people there next summer, it is actually some hardish x-c for our group..we may never get to the whole traverse... THANK you for taking map off... smile.gif I know there have been other reports on the area, for gods sake berdeen was on the cover of some book,and they made it sound like easy hike...

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 12:07 pm 
Wow, what a nice trip! Crampons and fishing poles--does it get any better? The photos are just outstanding. Smiles here too just reading your report.