Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kitchen Creek, 07.07.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 7:17 pm 
Decided to scope out the wash @ the southern gate of Kitchen Creek Rd., but it didn't go very far before getting too brushy.
So, I then walked up the closed rd. a ways. My goal was to make it a 6ish-mi. RT hike, & to see what there was up the rd.
I then scoped out a TH for a future hike w/my peeps (stay tuned). smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 2:08 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
It is hard for me to tell if this is Datura stramonium (Jimson Weed) or Datura wrightii (Western Jimson weed). Both are hallucinogenic to those foolish enough to try. Here is one near disaster escapade. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jun/17/teens-overdose-jimson-weed/

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 3:19 pm 
Datura grows extensively in the southwest. I have seen it in many places and also among the coast in populated areas. I often wonder how many or few realize it's powerful properties. Plants in this same family are used as a weapon in some countries to gain control of victims minds, usually rich tourists. Afterward they have no recollection of the event, despite turning over important sensitive information, such as credit card passwords.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 3:58 pm 
The active principle in Datura is Scopolamine the famous “truth serum” the amount varies radically between plants and subspecies. It featured prominently in the “Don Juan” tales of a native shaman. It was considered extremely powerful and dangerous. It is not similar to other drugs like LSD, Mescaline, or psilocybin. I wouldn’t touch it without a trusted shaman, even Don Juan turned out to be a fraud.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 8:07 am 
Thanks BC, I read everything you post. up.gif That is D. wrightii I'm pretty sure. I collected seed one time along the lower San Juan River in Utah. I was able to germinate one seed and it grew spectacularly into a big bush in my rock garden. The flowers were the size of salad plates and the fragrance filled the yard. Because of the cooler climate each flower stayed open nearly two days rather than a single day in the wild. It died over the winter though. Wikipedia says it is prohibited to buy, sell, or cultivate Datura. Pretty weird considering deadly nightshade volunteers in my garden. huh.gif Supposedly you don't want to touch Datura either, I always handled it with gloves.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Wikipedia says it is prohibited to buy, sell, or cultivate Datura.
Someone forgot to tell Annie. https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=1659 As well as others. https://www.worldseedsupply.com/product/datura-stramonium-pure-white-jimson-weed-seeds/ Further reading shows Sculpin is correct with his identification. Datura stramonium has leaves that are lobed and a smaller flower than its close relative Datura wrightii.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 3:36 pm 
It may be illegal but it is extremely common and easily identified especially in California deserts.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:29 pm 
With sincere apologies to B.C. for adding to the thread drift.
Sculpin wrote:
Wikipedia says it is prohibited to buy, sell, or cultivate Datura.
Hmm. Erowid differs on this. There are some states with prohibition listed, but not all. The Wiki article on Datura is quite interesting. ~z

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 7:44 pm 
I just now checked back & saw that this report had responses. They usually are greeted w/silence so I'm out of the habit of checking very often, sorry. embarassedlaugh.gif Yeah as far as I know, it's wrightii. That's what I've been told in my classes & seen in the books around here. Yep, super common. Touch it & it smells like peanut butter. But I don't touch it due to its toxic properties. But some people still touch it. Prolly fine as long as once you touch it you don't touch your mouth, eyes, etc. before washing your hands. paranoid.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.