Forum Index > Trail Talk > East Washington October Camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 pm 
Hello! When looking through eastern WA hikes I keep coming across Ancient Lake and also Odessa. I don't have enough time for big hikes so I am looking for the best camping with wide open spaces...I'm coming from SE Alaska so I am craving dry air and big skies smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 pm 
There was an article in the Spokesman Review about a new trail in the lowlands close to Spokane. Don't know if it is campable. You could also wander along the rails to trails Palouse to Cascades trail but camping locations may take some research on your part as there is private land mixed with state land. You will find lots of info by googling Palouse to Cascades trail or the old name, John Wayne trail. There is a Palouse to Cascades trail coalition site with lots of info on it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 am 
The article in the Review was about Fishtrap Lake. WTA has been working on the trails there for the past several years. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/oct/06/fishtrap-lake-becoming-trekking-destination-on-hee/

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am 
Are you looking to backpack, or car camp and hike? The latter opens up a few more options.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am 
Useful tool for #vanlife http://www.ioverlander.com/ (IOS and Android apps also)

tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 am 
Hi Johnny. Either is good. Basically I'm driving from Spokane Sat morning and need to be in Bellingham by Monday afternoon.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 am 
I was up wandering around in the larches at the Loup yesterday. No snow and dry. Deer hunting season is still going, but I saw no people until I got back to the gate on the road.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 am 
Ancient Lakes is a great idea for an easy, short backpacking trip. Big star views, and coyotes to serenade at night. Not too far off I-90 and very pretty. Also Gingko Petrified Forest State Park, on the other side of the Columbia from Ancient Lakes. There's a car campground nearby the State Park, (but I don't know anything about it).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:41 pm 
Thanks! I'm thinking seriously about Ancient Lakes. Coyote songs are awesome!

tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:34 am 
Wow Fishtrap looks great with all the work put in. Does anyone know about camping out there? Since it's BLM is it open camping anywhere? The resort there closes camping after Labor Day.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 am 
Check their site; there may be seasonal breeding closures. For animals, not people. I don't know what might breed in the wilds this time of year. People, probably, but that shouldn't require BLM closure.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 am 
tunnelman3 wrote:
Does anyone know about camping out there?
You couldn't camp out there last time I was there and I cannot imagine that is going to change. I camped at the resort, I'm surprised they won't let you do it now, maybe the restroom freezes or something.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm 
Got it. Thank you for the awesome input. I think I'm pushing forward to Ancient Lakes tomorrow and then trying one of the River hikes mentioned earlier near Cle Elum.