Forum Index > Trail Talk > Steel cable in granite
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:12 am 
How was this done and what was it for? along Cascade River...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am 
Could it be an anchor for something?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 12:01 pm 
I recall padding the Cascade and one of the gnarlier rapids was called "Bridge Drop" because of debris from a bridge swept away by a flood formed part of the rapid. I recall seeing bits of steel girders and cables.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm 
That makes sense. This is actually not on the river itself, but is a couple hundred yards up a creek that flows into the Cascade River from the south. A forest service road ends there (~48.46116, -121.210268), but after looking on a topo map I see it used to go across the creek as Sonny Boy Rd. There is definitely what appears to be a bridge abutment on the north side of the creek. When I was there I didn't realize that's what it was because I apparently wasn't being very observant and didn't notice any evidence of the road ever crossing and nothing on the other side. So the steel cable just goes into a hole in the rock. My recollection was that it was a large boulder and the cable didn't come out the other side. if it doesn't, I wonder how it was secured to the rock??? I would love to have seen the event that removed the bridge... Edit: I looked up the rapid and the event you referred to and that (bridge on Lookout Creek) I think is a different location. Regardless, it apparently has something to do with a bridge that is no longer there.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm 
iron wrote:
are you talking about kindy creek?
Yep, that's it. So evidently there used to be a bridge that crossed the creek there.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:11 pm 
pcg wrote:
iron wrote:
are you talking about kindy creek?
Yep, that's it. So evidently there used to be a bridge that crossed the creek there.
Different bridge than the one that was removed from the rapid just below Lookout Creek.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 pm 
pcg wrote:
So the steel cable just goes into a hole in the rock. My recollection was that it was a large boulder and the cable didn't come out the other side. if it doesn't, I wonder how it was secured to the rock??
For a short time some org’s were securing large woody debris in creeks/rivers using cable/special epoxy. Bore hole in rock with star drill, clean out Very well, put epoxy in cable and hole, hold a few minutes. State went from saying ‘Neat’ to figuring out at some point in future nasty stub of rusty cable would be sticking out of rock, for decades, and stopped use. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!