Forum Index > Trail Talk > New PCT thru regs: SF Chronicle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 9:12 am 
https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/New-rules-for-trekking-Pacific-Coast-Trail-could-14551449.php fyi, and hopefully I'm not duplicating prior posts.

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 am 
It is slightly repetitive but it includes an important cite which explains the proposal. In my opinion it is disingenuous for the FS supervisor to say the trail is intended to be hiked continuously without flip flops. Anyone who knows the history of the trail knows this is wrong. The trail is a melange of the John Muir Trail, the Cascade Crest Trail, The Oregon Skyline Trail, and numerous local trails and roads.To be accurate it was designed as a pack trail as the gear of the time was to heavy for continuous hiking without pack animals mostly mules.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
uww

uww
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am 
I agree with the FS assesment. The PCT runs through many areas that unfortunately need to be managed. A PCT permit should not give you access to anywhere you like along the trail at any time for any reason for an entire year. The PCT is now one continuous trail, and hiking it in one go has been an achievable goal without taking long distance plane or car rides for quite some time. Anyone who attempts difficult outdoor accomplishments should recognize that there is no shame in havng nature decide it was not your time. If you want to flip flop or do sections only on sunny Thursdays or whatever, get the appropriate permits.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am 
Long discussion of this here Limits on PCT in Washington

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 4:54 pm 
Here is the PCTA explanation for the change in the permit change as it applies to the Sierra Nevada section of the JMT. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."