Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 1:55 pm 
Great pics Tom. I really need to get an e-bike. I dont relish the thought of walking that road again. Oh and by the way, you really could have filled out a trip report. You arent lazy! doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 3:04 pm 
More intentional than lazy. Already posted a few, figured it didn't need another dedicated report. Next time I will park lower as it's faster to bike up the short section of the road than to drive it and navigate the huge potholes. Be sure to turn off power if you take your e-bike beyond the jersey barrier - you need to pedal on FS roads closed to motor vehicles.

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 2:56 pm 
Ida Lake (Chiwaukum mountains) 10-15-19 Day trip to Ida Lake to check out the larches with dog Maui. The day before was brilliant sunshine and alas I missed the window. This day there was high-dark overcast and poor lighting for photos of the larches. Approached via Chatter Creek, conditions were excellent with the first significant snow travel from the last pass down to the lake. In: 3.5 hours Out: 2.5 hours

RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 am 
Hit a couple of isolation summits in the northeastern part if the state yesterday. Huckleberry Mtn near Addy and Calispell Peak near Cusick. Was able to drive to over 5000' on Huckleberry and 4800' on Calispell where I had a 3.5-mile walk to the top.
Running the ridge to the highpoint.
Running the ridge to the highpoint.
Summit cairn.
Summit cairn.
The sun is out.
The sun is out.
North Huck BM.
North Huck BM.
The road is pretty steep.
The road is pretty steep.
Not much snow.
Not much snow.
Summit of Calispell Peak.
Summit of Calispell Peak.
Chewelah Mtn and 49 Degrees North Ski Area.
Huckleberry Mountain where I hiked earlier.
Huckleberry Mountain where I hiked earlier.
Tamaracks. The Pend Oreille River in the background.
Tamaracks. The Pend Oreille River in the background.

glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 10:15 am 
Interesting choices to go hike up! I used to live below the SW slope of Huckelberry mountain and would go up there frequently to see moose and elk. Would do Calispel Peak from the west from a pretty good logging road, going cross country to the top.The road you were on is snowmachine territory in the winter. You might enjoy the book by James Johnson, "50 Hikes for Eastern Washington's Highest Mountains" if you don't already have it. It includes the Kettle range, Salmo Priest and even the Blues.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:15 am 
Thanks for that recommendation, glenoid. up.gif

mosey

mosey
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 pm 
Paging puzlr, there's a washout/landslide in mid fork just 100' beyond the Upper CCC trailhead (7.5?). A chasm about 2' wide and several deep opened up on the hill adjacent side, and the road has buckled about 8" down and a few feet long at the end of the chasm. I didn't drive on it and saw king co workers as I left, and several more including one with "road closure" and other signs passed me.
Just east of upper CCC Russian Butte View js "open" as of recently and was a bit... Lackluster but I only explored for a bit and it was cloudy.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 pm 
mosey wrote:
Paging puzlr, there's a washout/landslide in mid fork just 100' beyond the Upper CCC trailhead (7.5?). Just east of upper CCCA chasm about 2' wide and several deep opened up on the hill adjacent side, and the road has buckled about 8" down and a few feet long at the end of the chasm.
Isn't that the section that was chip sealed instead of paved because it would be easier to repair if/when there were issues?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:19 pm 
Thanks Mosey for the update!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 5:37 pm 
RichP, Here's your photo and my reverse image from 49 North a few years ago. wave.gif
Calispell Mountain from 49 North
Calispell Mountain from 49 North

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 10:10 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
mosey wrote:
Paging puzlr, there's a washout/landslide in mid fork just 100' beyond the Upper CCC trailhead (7.5?). Just east of upper CCCA chasm about 2' wide and several deep opened up on the hill adjacent side, and the road has buckled about 8" down and a few feet long at the end of the chasm.
Isn't that the section that was chip sealed instead of paved because it would be easier to repair if/when there were issues?
You got that right, Windstorm. Let's hope it's true. Besides the slump, water flowing off the CCC road undermined about 3 feet of the chip seal road on the left side just before the trailhead pullout. There are cones there now. Hopefully the road doesn't close for this, except for when they're actually doing some repairs. BTW, just during the period I've been going to the Middle Fork I've seen slumps there in 2008, 2009, 2015, 2016, and maybe a little in 2017. It's like the sinkhole on the Mountain Loop highway. I haven't seen this slump myself yet, but there are more photos from an MTSG staffer on flickr I was in the valley on 10/21 when the hard rain came in. The slump happened later. The river didn't peak until 4am the next morning so it wasn't camera-friendly, but I took some videos of the creeks coming up until it got dark. [Edit -- got a photo of the eroded ditch]
Eroded ditch approaching the CCC pullout
Eroded ditch approaching the CCC pullout

nordique

nordique
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 am 
I noticed that road problem, marked by cones, on my drive to a hike out of the big Middle Fork trailhead yesterday. I passed over the small area at walking speed in my car, both ways: not something I'd want to hit at my usual Middle Fork road speed! The whole Middle Fork is a slump zone, which is why we can no longer take a left up the Middle Fork after crossing the big bridge. I'm glad I got in some hikes there before the closure. Now that I'm stuck on crutches for awhile, I've been exploring more of the Middle Fork and really enjoying it!

mosey

mosey
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 am 
Edit: thanks Brushwork, it's a sundog. Now that I know what to look for I keep seeing them huh.gif Picture is of a local undervisited but overtrashed gem
lots of trash:(
lots of trash:(
another exposure
another exposure

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:49 pm 
Cool Mosey! Looks like half a sun dog!

When I grow up I wanna play.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 6:22 pm 
Big Jim Mtn 11/2 there is a tree blocking access 100' from the hatchery creek TH. no big deal. the trail has many new blowdowns and branches on the 1st 3 miles, nothing too difficult. once the trail levels out, only a couple trees down. only a little snow on the trail above 6000', some ice but easy to get around. lake augusta was frozen over. I took the ridge to the summit and it was pretty windy. thought about going for big lou, too but needed to be back home at a reasonable hour.

Eric Eames