Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Delivery Drones are nearing deployment
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 9:40 am 
I can hardly wait until the skies are full of buzzing mechanical mosquitos. hurl.gif
Quote:
Flying robots that deliver packages to people’s doorsteps are no longer science fiction. Companies including Amazon.com Inc., Alphabet Inc. ’s Wing and Uber Technologies Inc. are starting the most advanced trials of drone delivery in U.S. history. While commercial drone delivery faces many hurdles, government-approved tests by the tech giants will mark the first time consumers in parts of the country experience the technology. Wing this month started tests in Christiansburg, Va., while Uber says it will experiment in San Diego before the year ends. Amazon hasn’t revealed where it is operating but said in June it would begin delivering packages to consumers via drone “within months.” Amazon, Uber and Wing are hardly the only players tinkering with the technology. This month United Parcel Service Inc. gained approval from the Federal Aviation Administration to build out a fleet of unmanned aircraft to deliver health supplies and eventually consumer packages in the U.S. Experts say wide-scale drone delivery operations will take years to build out. The FAA predicts sales of drones for a wide range of commercial purposes to grow from 600,000 in 2016 to 2.7 million by 2020. The approaches vary, and success is anything but assured.
The impact on your property rights and sanity is yet to be determined. If they crash a drone on your property, do you have the right to forbid access? Do they have the right to fly just above your house to reach another? Expect these companies to push to further limit your control of your property.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 10:02 am 
Such a nightmare. Good grief. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 11:06 am 
If they crash and your faithful retriever brings it home and crunches it? I know of a large chocolate lab that "retrieved" a remote control airplane as it landed. He did a bit of damage to it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 11:34 am 
I can't imagine what the noise will be like. Especially anywhere near a hub. A jet every few minutes if you're under an approach is one thing, but deliveries buzzing overhead continually ... More considerations Drone lawyer https://jrupprechtlaw.com/amazon-drone-delivery-3-major-legal-problems-amazon-prime-air/ CR's take on privacy https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics/drone-privacy-is-anyone-in-charge/ Brookings https://www.brookings.edu/research/drones-and-aerial-surveillance-considerations-for-legislatures/ They have this, which I fully agree with
Quote:
Legislators should follow a property rights approach to aerial surveillance. This approach provides landowners with the right to exclude aircraft, persons, and other objects from a column of airspace extending from the surface of their land up to 350 feet above ground level. Such an approach may solve most public and private harms associated with drones.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 12:01 pm 
I would hope each one has the contact information for insurance purposes.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 pm 
12ga with 00 buckshot works wonders

neek

neek
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 6:28 pm 
A 2016 survey found that 44% of us support it. Not me! Human-sized pneumatic tubes to every home!

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 6:28 pm 
I still can't believe how the bike rentals are influencing other riders to NOT wear helmets. All this technology requires mining? Isn't that bad for the earth?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 am 
I'm right there with you on that one, Iron. I despise them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 9:50 am 
contour5

contour5
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am 
Well, they’ve already been deployed, but mostly overseas. And the cargo is mostly bombs and missiles. The actual product, of course, is death.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am 
Being able to "demo" some capability and whether it's a viable business are worlds apart. For take out food delivery it's particularly ridiculous. Why would I want drone delivery, which requires me to leave my apartment and stand outside to unload the drone vs a delivery person that comes up to the apartment and I can receive the delivery wearing my slippers.

JPH

JPH
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 2:33 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Being able to "demo" some capability and whether it's a viable business are worlds apart. For take out food delivery it's particularly ridiculous. Why would I want drone delivery, which requires me to leave my apartment and stand outside to unload the drone vs a delivery person that comes up to the apartment and I can receive the delivery wearing my slippers.
Not if you sign up for UberEats-Drone Delivery! You have a drone reception table on your 20th floor balcony and the drone flies right onto your porch and drops your PF Chang's right there outside the door!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 pm 
JPH wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Not if you sign up for UberEats-Drone Delivery! You have a drone reception table on your 20th floor balcony and the drone flies right onto your porch and drops your PF Chang's right there outside the door!
Actually they aren't promising to the customer drone delivery...
Gizmodo wrote:
it appears Uber Eats isn’t banking on delivering food directly to your door anytime soon. The company has previously said that it will deliver food via drone to a central staging area and that Uber drivers in cars will pick them up and ultimately deliver the package to your door.
So it sounds like to me some collection of VPs have a "make drone delivery a reality" clause in their performance goals and they need to check that off in some manner -- no matter how pointless or unprofitable it is, in order to get a big bonus. Uber-eats is a vaporware company anyway:
qz.com wrote:
The report zeroed in on the unit economics, or per-order costs, of Uber’s food-delivery platform. Cowen’s analysts estimate that Uber is currently losing $3.36 on every order. They expect that loss to shrink to $0.46 per order by 2024, but didn’t say anything about when the food-delivery business might turn a profit.
Which is particularly hilarious considering that Seamless has been profitably doing online ordering for food delivery since 1999 -- how is it that Uber is losing so much money -- perhaps it because they are dumping a ton of money in to stupid ideas like drone delivery and idiotic ideas like delivering food from McDonalds.

JPH

JPH
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Actually they aren't promising to the customer drone delivery...
Not yet maybe!