Forum Index > Trip Reports > Larch Lurking - Garland Peak area 10-06-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 pm 
While the wet-side hordes were heading to Ingalls Lake or Maple Pass, the dry-side locals headed out the Chiwawa River Road and up the Chikamin Trail Rd. for a glimpse at not-quite-ready-for-prime-time Larch. Temperatures were hovering at 32 along Tumwater Canyon (BTW - the colors are just beginning to pop along Tumwater - so come on over for Oktoberfest and color!) and the Chiwawa, but by the time we got to the trailhead on the Chikamin Road (where the colors also are gorgeous!) at about 4000' it already was 40 degrees! Downright balmy, likely we would be in tank tops by the time we got to the summit of Garland! lol.gif shakehead.gif We had done this trip in much warmer weather before in 2013. Not much has changed. Still steep to start and continuous up from there!
Starting out in 40 degree weather - but sunny!
Starting out in 40 degree weather - but sunny!
Junction with the Rock Creek trail
Junction with the Rock Creek trail
Looking down the Chiwawa River valley
Looking down the Chiwawa River valley
But the colors are pretty on the way . . .
Lovely colors popping
Lovely colors popping
Beautiful colors along Basalt Ridge trail
Beautiful colors along Basalt Ridge trail
In 2015, we revisited the area and bypassed Garland to head straight to Rampart. This time, we were in Larch season and much cooler weather. 2015 Trip On Sunday, the weather was good, but clouds were moving in as we reached our high point.
Some trail maintenance is needed on this end of the Basalt Ridge trail
Some trail maintenance is needed on this end of the Basalt Ridge trail
Garland to the right - not much snow on the southern exposure
Garland to the right - not much snow on the southern exposure
David, Saul, Jonathan and friends
David, Saul, Jonathan and friends
Traverse below the gnarly knob
Traverse below the gnarly knob
Basalt Ridge trail - we would skirt around to the right (west) of this gnarly bump
Basalt Ridge trail - we would skirt around to the right (west) of this gnarly bump
The ridge in front of Barry is what we would take to reach Garland - it's still almost two miles
The ridge in front of Barry is what we would take to reach Garland - it's still almost two miles
The Larch aren't at prime, but it won't be long. We also decided against doing Garland, since once we got to 7400' we realized that we had to drop 400' and regain 500' to get to Garland's summit . . .and the views weren't going to be much different at less than 100' higher than where we were!! agree.gif
The Larch are almost in full bloom!
The Larch are almost in full bloom!
Larch alley
Larch alley
About 7300'
About 7300'
Garland
Garland
The ironic thing about this whole trip . . . we saw one car at the trailhead (not surprised). Didn't see anyone until we were clear of the trees at about 7000' - a solo hiker. We got to talking - he looked vaguely familiar, but I wasn't sure. We exchanged information about where we were heading and trips we had done previously in the area - and lo-and-behold this is someone I met back in 2006 on Dirty Face and then again one year later on Cutthroat Pass. Of course, he was probably about 18 in 2006, but what fun to see him again and realize the earlier connections!!
More than 12 years later - the mysterious Chris reappears (Garland behind him)
More than 12 years later - the mysterious Chris reappears (Garland behind him)
Anyway, we finished our lunch at our high spot for the day.
Barry and Cooper looking toward Pyramid Peak in the distance on the horizon - the snowy one!
Barry and Cooper looking toward Pyramid Peak in the distance on the horizon - the snowy one!
@7450' - Rampart to the left of Barry and Devil's Smokestack to the right
Not a lot of snow . . .
Not a lot of snow . . .
and then headed back down.
@ about 7200'
@ about 7200'
Heading down from our high point on Basalt Ridge
Heading down from our high point on Basalt Ridge
We got back to our start around 3 p.m. Great day in the mountains - and, didn't miss the hordes at all!
Cloning Subarus - that's what happens on lonely mountain roads
Cloning Subarus - that's what happens on lonely mountain roads

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 pm 
Nice report, small world. I have run into Chris at least twice since that day. Your Pyramid Mt. photo is not appearing at this time. The no photo symbol looks like a pyramid however.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 pm 
JimK wrote:
Your Pyramid Mt. photo is not appearing at this time.
I think it's fixed now, thanks. SD

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm 
We all most went that direction but decided to stay farther East and did Tyee Ridge / Lookout very little snow around 6700' - 7000' at all. I think I found the last healthy looking Lupine of the year, the blue skies and sunshine was nice.
Garland - Devils Smokestack - Rampart - Fifth of July from Tyee Ridge
Garland - Devils Smokestack - Rampart - Fifth of July from Tyee Ridge

Living in the Anthropocene
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 am 
Hi SD, I've heard the road can do a number on a car's paintjob. The Subaru's don't look scratched up...but is the brush still bad on that road? I finally bought something with clearance and all wheel drive. Yup, a Forester. I have to represent the PNW when in the desert after all. Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 pm 
Hi John! Sorry, just seeing this post. No, the road is in GREAT shape - no issues at all. They had to use it two years ago for fighting a fire up that way and did a great job maintaining it. No issues. Larch should be excellent by this weekend - and not much snow . . . yet. As a Toyota owner, I just can't understand this fascination with those wonky little Subies!!! lol.gif shakehead.gif

Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 6:08 am 
We're headed that way today - is that Gus in your pics???

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 4:51 pm 
Hi there! Nice to hear from you. Hope you had a great trip and there wasn't too much snow! Sadly, I lost Gus in July of 2014 on his 11th birthday. Last trip He was an incredible four-paw buddy - a unique partner, indeed. Cooper is the pup in the pictures. He joined us in Nov. of 2015 - a pound-puppy, was two when we got him. A nice dog - mix of Golden/Yellow Lab/and we suspect maybe some hound. Big dog. He has adapted nicely to our peripatetic lifestyle! Thanks for asking.

Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 6:11 am 
Only met Gus a couple of times but, he really was a great dog and you gave him an incredible life! Cooper is one lucky dog. Our hike to Basalt Ridge turned out to be a real challenge - there were four incredible huge blow downs we had to climb over - we should have started at the Minnow Creek trail head and avoided all that. Not much snow and no other hikers. Happy Trails! Chris

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:38 am 
Jack's Mom wrote:
Our hike to Basalt Ridge turned out to be a real challenge - there were four incredible huge blow downs we had to climb over - we should have started at the Minnow Creek trail head and avoided all that.
Yup - you must have come up the Finner Creek trailhead. Barry and I did that last year and encountered the same blowdowns - a real pain. This year, for Matt's Birthday hike (and 1000th new peak!) we went via Minnow Creek and it was much more agreeable! We only saw one other hiker on our most recent trip - not heavily used.

Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 5:42 am 
Wow, 1000 peaks - something to really boast about! We've noticed that around here trails can be lonely, unless you're in the Icicle area - dogs are welcome too!