Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leavenworth will have parking meters in the spring
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 7:27 pm 
Only in the downtown core. They'll be electronic (no cash), with vehicle detectors to alert parking enforcement when somebody overstays their allotted time. They were voted in this past week. Source: KOHO.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 pm 
Who needs parking meters when WSDOT wants GPS transponders in our cars in the not-too-distant future. The sky's the limit. All for the common good. Enjoy the future, serfs.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 4:03 pm 
Just say no to transponders and micromanaging everyone's travel. Fuel taxes work just fine and do all the calculations necessary inherently...you pay more to drive more, you pay more if you have worse mileage, you pay more if your rig is heavier (see last point). Granted they need to do something to properly assess costs against electric cars, but this needn't involve everyone else.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 5:29 pm 
Route 2 will still be a madhouse on Sunday afternoon!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 6:32 pm 
Seems like so many places are going to that option. We had to pay for parking in the old part of Mukilteo down by the ferry landing last weekend. In many places in Europe, pay for parking is the norm, including many rural areas. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 am 
I don't recall being charged for the number of miles my cell phone travels.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 am 
That has nothing to do with being charged mileage for how many miles your phone physically travels, which is the basis of the arguments for use of GPS transponders to impose mileage charges.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 9:22 am 
Leavenworth isn't going to charge for miles driven, just for time parked, and only in a small area where no one can ever find an empty spot. KOHO said the reason they're doing this is to "gain control" of the parking situation. That didn't make sense at first, but the vehicle detectors combined with electronic payment mean they'll be able to ticket cars that overstay, and when people figure that out, there should be more turnover of parking spaces - more people being able to use them. This doesn't affect me personally, I go to Leavenworth to recreate in the Icicle. When I go to a restaurant it's Krystal's because they have ample parking and I don't have to go into the downtown core where you can get stuck with pedestrian-first crossings and people double parking on narrow streets.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 am 
Makes sense for them to do something like this given how insanely crowded it's become in the core at peak times. And those who are worried about the prying eyes of der große Bruder can of course simply avoid parking in the core there. Problem solved. Though indeed, if you have a smartphone, or even if you use the internet from a computer w/o multiple anonymizing tactics, you are already dealing with much bigger invasions of your privacy than having your car tracked amongst the parking in fakegermantown.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 am 
joker wrote:
the parking in fakegermantown
What? Are you saying that Leavenworth is not really the populace of a Bavarian village that moved to the US? They're not even German? Dang, I am shattered! I don't know what to believe anymore. Rumi PS: I know what you're doing, you're joking aren't you? That's why you're called Joker. I have to admit, you had me going there for a while. I think I will just have to make a trip to Leavenworth and have me some of that authentic Schweinshaxn.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 am 
RumiDude wrote:
We had to pay for parking in the old part of Mukilteo down by the ferry landing last weekend.
That's because they don't want ferry walk-ons to park in town. Mukilteo parking has become a nightmare.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 12:06 pm 

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
you're joking aren't you
well I guess sarcasm is a form of "joke" and I realize that some people have a fondness for kitschy recreations of foreign towns and the like which is fine but it doesn't make it any less, well, kitschy

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:01 pm 
Leavenworth is free to charge for parking if they like. At the end of the day, the local businesses probably like the forced refresh rate. Voters are free to refresh their city council too. Re transponders, well, I'll go to prison before I ever allow our formerly great state to put one in my car. Cell phones? That's a choice I make--to share location services, whatever, with private-sector marketeers. Or not. Big difference when government does it under force of law. Surely you can see the distinction.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm 
joker wrote:
and I realize that some people have a fondness for kitschy recreations of foreign towns and the like which is fine but it doesn't make it any less, well, kitschy
Some kitsch is done better than others. Leavenworth at least did a good job with it. Next thing you're gonna tell me Winthrop isn't really an old western town...