Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT hikers at risk this weekend due to lack of information and winter gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:30 pm 
For me, it is very simple. I hiked the PCT through in Oregon in 1971, when it still was marked with Skyline Trail diamonds. The only other PCT hikers we saw during the six weeks we were on the trail were two guys from LA. All along the way we met kind strangers who were fascinated by our adventure and happy to reach out and help us if help was needed. Often we exchanged addresses and kept in touch for many years afterwards, like I am doing with my friend Katharina. Now, almost 50 years later, when I come across a thru hiker in need of assistance, I am happy to “pay it forward” and provide help if possible. Plus I get to share my trail stories. I realize the proliferation of Trail Angels has created a culture of enablement for thru hikers in some areas, but it’s a broad generalization to denounce it completely.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 pm 
Here is a chance to practice your backcountry advising. There is a group (of four people I was told) traveling up Bridge Creek towards Rainy Pass on the PCT. They will either emerge at Rainy well after sunset tonight or before noon Friday. Here is the weather forecast for Rainy Pass and beyond out till Wednesday. Harts Pass SNOTEL currently (as of 2pm on 10/31) reports 6" of snow and 38*F temperature. The only photo I have seen of any in the group showed that the person was wearing boots rather than trail runners. I do not know if any have traction devices. I do not know if they plan to double back to Harts Pass (or other trail back to US) or continue on into Manning Park. So what would you say to them if you met them at Rainy Pass? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:27 pm 
No back country advising; just say hi and let them tease out a plan using their own critical thinking skills.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 5:49 pm 
If this is the group with the Czech girl, I wouldn’t say anything except “Good Luck”. They made it through some bitter cold and windy weather last week and it still looks like a decent weather window. Hopefully they can pick up their pace a bit and finish their trip!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 pm 
Yep, same group. They had some slow days but Section K is a butt kicker. Today they have moved fairly good pace. They are a tough group of people for sure. Normally Rainy to Manning Lodge would be about three to four days. I don't know how long it will take them. There are a couple blowouts of the trail in that section. Other than that only a couple other steep parts that may require extra caution. Not even sure they are going into Canada. They may be doubling back to wherever. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."