Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you want a self-driving car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you want a self-driving car?
No
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No only no, but HELL NO!!!
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 51

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm 
This basic question is almost never mentioned in the media.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 6:11 pm 
Driving in traffic is almost as much fun as getting a root canal. Hell yes I want a robot to do it for me. (Better yet, I work from home, but that doesn't help with the post-hike traffic jam.)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 9:38 pm 
Personally I look forward to fully autonomous vehicles. I can then nap while traveling to and from trailheads and arranging shuttles for point to point hikes is very easy.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 5:04 am 
I'm a luddite, but I still vote yes. As long as it doesn't become required anytime soon. I like my big 4x4 van, but I would also dig a tiny quiet pod that gets me where I want to be with no mental stress.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 7:34 am 
No, unless can be overridden easily and same laws applying regarding DUI and texting and stuff like that. In fact, should not operate unless hands on the wheel and foot over the brake pedal, and maybe even some face recognition technology to ensure that eyes are at least somewhat on the road. In other words, it should be safety adjunct, rather than something that allows the driver to check out.

neek

neek
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 am 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
This basic question is almost never mentioned in the media.
There's most certainly a demand, and if they work out (a big if, IMO) those who invested early will become rich. It's been mostly crickets since all the hype a year ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if the final 10% of the problem ended up being a lot more difficult than the optimists predicted. Do I want one? Well sure, if they're affordable, proven safe, and don't require central tracking of my location. But I think the idealized stories we tell ourselves about how things might play out lack some important details. What will happen to those whose jobs are displaced (truckers and taxi drivers are just the tip of the iceberg)? Will the tech further consolidate wealth? What are the privacy implications? What will the impact be on people who want to avoid the tech? And so on. While autonomous vehicle technology is impressive, with many brilliant and well-intentioned engineers behind it, I can't help but think the money could be better spent solving real problems--inequity, disease, society's unsustainable energy demands, religious and political extremism, nuclear proliferation. As someone pointed out in another thread, humans are naturally good at driving cars, and computers aren't. We should do something about the over 3000 traffic deaths per day worldwide, but I think policy and infrastructure changes are a better answer, at least in the short term, than robot drivers. Industry and in particular Big Tech are notorious for rolling out overly complex solutions to problems they created in the first place, and like many people these days, I view their actions with increasing suspicion.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 9:58 am 
neek wrote:
What will happen to those whose jobs are displaced
give them a nice big stipend and tell them to enjoy life. The puritanical work ethic is a lie. Just to keep the masses opiated. Arbeit Macht Frei and all that rubbish. I'd much rather just give someone enough to live on than make them "earn" it at the Mylar balloon factory creating nothing but landfill. Time for a cultural shift if automation is coming...and it is already here. But cultural shifts are usually met with: crybaby.gif and guns.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am 
neek wrote:
...Industry and in particular Big Tech are notorious for rolling out overly complex solutions to problems they created in the first place, and like many people these days, I view their actions with increasing suspicion.
What he said, all of it! 👍

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:27 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
give them a nice big stipend and tell them to enjoy life. The puritanical work ethic is a lie. Just to keep the masses opiated. Arbeit Macht Frei and all that rubbish. I'd much rather just give someone enough to live on than make them "earn" it at the Mylar balloon factory creating nothing but landfill. Time for a cultural shift if automation is coming...and it is already here. But cultural shifts are usually met with: crybaby.gif and guns.gif
There is little more destructive to human value and meaning than telling people they're entitled to someone else giving them stuff. And this doesn't even address the fact that while you're entitled to give whatever you want to whoever you want from your own pocket, you're not and never have been entitled to use someone else to give for you, or else.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 am 
WHY do I need a self-driving car when I am perfectly capable of driving the car myself? The first thing I did before i drove my truck off the dealer's lot was reach up under the dash and yank out the little buzzer unit that was telling me the ignition key was in the ignition switch and the door was open. I tossed it out into the parking lot. The salesman gave me a puzzled look. I know the key is in the switch and I know the door is open, and I don't need the car to tell me that. I don't need the car to tell me how to drive, where to go, or how fast to go there. I can do all that myself. Somebody in another thread is talking about some sort of "transponder" for my car that's going to tell somebody where I am? Yeah... good luck with that. It'll be right out there in the parking lot with the door buzzer. If you've got something for my car that I actually NEED, please let me be the first to know.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
There is little more destructive to human value and meaning than telling people they're entitled to someone else giving them stuff.
People being able to drive on roads they didn't build is a good example. Entitled bastards will cry if anyone else is on their road too, "omg traffic, build more lanes!"

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm 
Hell no and a half. Normally Im not one to consider frivolous law suits, but Im all for suing the creative company out of existence when the self driver kills someone!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
There is little more destructive to human value and meaning than telling people they're entitled to someone else giving them stuff.
People being able to drive on roads they didn't build is a good example. Entitled bastards will cry if anyone else is on their road too, "omg traffic, build more lanes!"
People being able to drive on roads they paid for, you mean. Yes, OMG traffic, build more lanes. That's what the fuel tax is for.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hell no and a half. Normally Im not one to consider frivolous law suits, but Im all for suing the creative company out of existence when the self driver kills someone!
Has a human driving a car ever killed anyone?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
People being able to drive on roads they paid for, you mean. Yes, OMG traffic, build more lanes. That's what the fuel tax is for.
And that same tax will be used to pay for what coldrain is talking about. up.gif