Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Big difference when government does it under force of law. Surely you can see the distinction.
Yes, one of the cases is run for profit, with very little current restraint, by entities typically judged to be fairly efficient. Who had high motivation to lash up your location data with any other data about you that can be scrounged by data brokers (brokers who would be as happy seeking to the government as anyone else). The other is currently theoretical, to be run by an entity that will have a lot of oversight for something like this, by an entity judged my many to be ineffective at most things. Definitely a big difference! I predict that it is insurance companies the will eventually mandate transponders in cars. Not the government. Next we could wander into what anyone who eats to pay for the images can learn about your daily habits from increasingly detailed and nearly real time satellite imagery...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm 
Just playing around ... but when I first moved here (here as in Washington) I thought there was some connection like immigrants or sister-city kinda thing. Then I discovered it was just a thing to attract tourists. I am dead serious about liking pig feet roasted on a spit. Tasty stuff! Rumi~the joking~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 3:13 pm 
👍

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:08 pm 
joker wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Big difference when government does it under force of law. Surely you can see the distinction.
Yes, one of the cases is run for profit, with very little current restraint, by entities typically judged to be fairly efficient. Who had high motivation to lash up your location data with any other data about you that can be scrounged by data brokers (brokers who would be as happy seeking to the government as anyone else). The other is currently theoretical, to be run by an entity that will have a lot of oversight for something like this, by an entity judged my many to be ineffective at most things. Definitely a big difference! I predict that it is insurance companies the will eventually mandate transponders in cars. Not the government. Next we could wander into what anyone who eats to pay for the images can learn about your daily habits from increasingly detailed and nearly real time satellite imagery...
Private sector companies don't have guns and prisons. And, again, smart phone ownership isn't compulsory. FWIW, the program is not "theoretical," it's already through the trial phase. I suspect you're right about insurance companies supporting it--but it's our state government that's pushing hard for it toward their own ends. You might be ok with it--I'm not. Now, imagine this logic applied to your next backpacking trip or climb. Mandatory transponder--it's for your own good.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 am 
Is it ok to not be wildly ok with either? 😉

neek

neek
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:33 am 
Brian R wrote:
FWIW, the program is not "theoretical," it's already through the trial phase. I suspect you're right about insurance companies supporting it--but it's our state government that's pushing hard for it toward their own ends. You might be ok with it--I'm not.
I'm surprised this is the approach vs. wide scale deployment of automatic license plate readers, which seems to be in the works already as well. Both are scary IMO but I'd think the cameras would be cheaper, more flexible (think law enforcement), and less subject to public outrage. The day they require GPS in my car is the day I stop driving--although would I do it voluntarily to save $500/yr on insurance? Hmm...fundamentally they seem like different things, but if the end result is the same, does it really matter if coercion happens via carrot vs. stick? Yeah I get personal liberty etc., but in the end both are just some authority manipulating us complex biological machines on a large scale. And come to think of it, I had some say in the election of government officials, but not so much in the insurance companies' board members (although I suppose I could buy my way into that by owning stock).
Brian R wrote:
Now, imagine this logic applied to your next backpacking trip or climb. Mandatory transponder--it's for your own good.
The way some people talk about how great subscription-based personal locators are, this isn't too hard to imagine. Of course this has nothing to do with a few new parking meters in Leavenworth...but it's much more interesting.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 am 
Probably a good idea, but.... .... where's all the hired help going to park? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm 
It will only be a matter of time until everybody has to have a phone app that tracks their driving in order to get car insurance. There are already devices for this, but phone apps are cheaper to deploy on a wide scale.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm 
neek wrote:
Of course this has nothing to do with a few new parking meters in Leavenworth...but it's much more interesting.
Well, I did my part. Anybody planning a trip next spring or any time after should be aware of the coming change. There's a tiny park and ride next to the Cashmere Bank, I've used it on weekends to leave my car for a bike ride. (The loop up the Chumstick Hwy, through Plain, by Lake Wenatchee with a short scenic detour, and then back down through the Tumwater Canyon is spectacular in April.) It would be great if there were other parking lots near but outside the city core, for people to leave their cars at and enjoy the breweries and stores. Most hotels have parking, people will have to walk from the Fairbridge and Enzian to downtown and back. It's not just that it will cost $$ to park, it's that your time in a space will be limited. Like Brian R said, the enforced turnover will probably be good for merchants.

neek

neek
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It will only be a matter of time until everybody has to have a phone app that tracks their driving in order to get car insurance. There are already devices for this, but phone apps are cheaper to deploy on a wide scale.
"You keep driving to the tops of mountains! We'll have to charge extra for that." Seriously, don't give anyone ideas. No more need for toll booths, parking meters, those little "change your oil at X miles" stickers... there's an app for that! Actually, could be a good thing. More people "accidentally" leaving their phones at home wouldn't hurt anyone.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:34 pm 
I don't know how they'll account for being a passenger, but they can already ding your driving record and insurance rates for things you do on a bicycle, so they'll probably decide that being a passenger in a car with a driver who's speeding shows that you accept unnecessary risks.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It will only be a matter of time until everybody has to have a phone app that tracks their driving in order to get car insurance.
That will happen right after they start telling people what kinds of pictures they can hang on the walls inside their homes. You have been unfortunately misinformed about the relationship between the American public and the automobile. People who own cars will do with them as they please, and there's not a lot the State has to say about it other than minimum requirements to meet basic safety standards (e.g., maximum distance at which vehicle horn can be heard, etc.) If you seriously believe the majority of drivers in this country are going to acquiesce when told they have to install some sort of "tracking" device on their cars, I've got at least two or three bridges I'll be happy to sell to you.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 12:52 pm 
^ on that note: Go back and see how successful they were when they tried to put RFID chips is ALL clothing articles (ostensibly to reduce shoplifting.)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:49 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Who needs parking meters when WSDOT wants GPS transponders in our cars in the not-too-distant future. The sky's the limit. All for the common good. Enjoy the future, serfs.
Ya that will never happen to me! Ill move to Idaho first!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:56 pm 
I thought the transponders were to replace the gas tax with a miles driven tax. This will make electric car drivers pay, and stop penalizing those who drive gas guzzlers. Funny how the same people who want those things hate the program the most, apparently. I didn’t realize the point of the program was to take away our freedoms. Live and learn.