Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leavenworth will have parking meters in the spring
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 6:43 pm 
A government GPS transponder in your car? What's not to like? And if they say they're only going to use it to charge you for miles driven and not look at your private activities, well, I'm sure they really mean it. For now. BTW, WSDOT isn't proposing "replacing" the gas tax. This would supplement it. Of course, they would lower the gas tax. For now. Pretty much any legislation or rule making passed by local, state, federal government can be followed by the words "for now."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Pretty much any legislation or rule making passed by local, state, federal government can be followed by the words "for now."
Isn't that the essence of democratic governance? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:39 pm 
Another reason to avoid "Der Village" But I'm not sure this is "news" the city of Leavenworth site shows a parking map and lists rates that indicate these are already in practice. https://cityofleavenworth.com/city-services/facilities/parking/

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Pretty much any legislation or rule making passed by local, state, federal government can be followed by the words "for now."
No, it isn't. The Bill of Rights--and several of the Amendments that followed--trump the dangerous mob. They even trump representative government. Kind of a red line; there won't be a State of Washington transponder in my car or attached to my motorcycle. Or bicycle.

ejain

ejain
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:25 pm 
Ski wrote:
If you seriously believe the majority of drivers in this country are going to acquiesce when told they have to install some sort of "tracking" device on their cars [...]
If doing so saved you a few $$, or time (e.g. with access to fast lanes), I wouldn't be so sure...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am 
Brian R wrote:
No, it isn't. The Bill of Rights--and several of the Amendments that followed--trump the dangerous mob. They even trump representative government. Kind of a red line; there won't be a State of Washington transponder in my car or attached to my motorcycle. Or bicycle.
This is quaint. There is already a state issued unique id plate bolted to your vehicle. You are required to have this affixed to your vehicle as a condition for using public roads in a motor vehicle. The widespread use of CCTV and plate readers in various jurisdictions makes the need for a transponder superfluous.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 4:06 am 
I missed the title of this thread being “please dump all your paranoid antigovernment fantasies here, the more crackpot the better”. I thought it said something about parking meters in Leavenworth. Good thing politics is encouraged in all threads. That’s what this site needs, paranoid crackpot nonsense in every thread. Too bad the dumpers can’t start their own threads to post their garbage, so I guess they have no choice but to pollute every other thread.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Yes. Hence the problem.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:27 am 
Slugman wrote:
I missed the title of this thread being “please dump all your paranoid antigovernment fantasies here, the more crackpot the better”. I thought it said something about parking meters in Leavenworth. Good thing politics is encouraged in all threads. That’s what this site needs, paranoid crackpot nonsense in every thread. Too bad the dumpers can’t start their own threads to post their garbage, so I guess they have no choice but to pollute every other thread.
Noting reality is so far from being crackpot or paranoid as to render your argument indistinguishable from fantasy.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 am 
ejain wrote:
Ski wrote:
If you seriously believe the majority of drivers in this country are going to acquiesce when told they have to install some sort of "tracking" device on their cars [...]
If doing so saved you a few $$, or time (e.g. with access to fast lanes), I wouldn't be so sure...
Insurance companies are in the business of managing risk. Data on how people drive lets them do that more effectively. Until now, doing that has required having a specialized device put into your car, then collecting it back. But now they're starting to use software for the smart phones that 95 % of the public already has. Currently, you get a discount (if they like how you drive). The obvious next step is that they won't sell you insurance without this tracking, or they'll price it high enough that ordinary people can't afford it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 12:11 pm 
Well... that sounds like a good argument on the surface, but the reality is that something like 54% (that's FIFTY-FOUR PERCENT) of the drivers on Washington State roads are driving without any insurance right now. Are you old enough to remember people ripping the seat belts out of early 1960's automobiles? You cannot tell the American public what they must do with their car. Okay, you can try to tell them. Kind of like "Don't talk on your cell phone and drive." What's the compliance rate on that one again?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:12 pm 
Everyone knows that parking in L'worth is just as bad as the traffic on Highway 2. I'm my opinion it's because the city was done a poor job of planning for a long time. This issue isn't new, it has been around for more than a decade (maybe 2) and just gets worse each year. Depending on largely curbside parking is grossly inadequate for the volume of visitors the city receives, say nothing for the workers and local population. Just as the hospital built a new lot for its staff on Commercial street this year, the local business owners could band together and construct a permit-only lot for employees, to get them out of curbside spots and also give them a place to park. But I'm not naive enough to believe they would ever really do this. For the tourists and out-of-town guests (I don't want to offend hikers and climbers as "tourists" hmmm.gif ) there needs to be sufficient off-street parking - several lots and probably a multilevel garage or two. Charging for curbside parking doesn't do anything to alleviate the problem: the deficiency of adequate parking spaces to accommodate all the vehicles. I'm supportive of metered parking for city streets in L'worth IF the funds generated are fully allocated to build more lots and structures to expand the city's parking capacity.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 10:30 pm 
The Mountaineers description of 11worth: the town where you can buy 50 different kinds of nutcrackers but you can't buy a pair of underwear.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm 
Ah, you don't really need underwear in 'Worth

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am 
Ski wrote:
Well... that sounds like a good argument on the surface, but the reality is that something like 54% (that's FIFTY-FOUR PERCENT) of the drivers on Washington State roads are driving without any insurance right now.
Where did you get that figure? This study lists the Washington state uninsured rate at 17.4% -- which is pretty bad -- but even the worst state in the union (Florida) clocks in at 26.7% -- I'm curious where you got the 54% figure https://www.insurance-research.org/sites/default/files/downloads/UMNR1005.pdf