Forum Index > Stewardship > The Turkey Invasion
Previous :: Next Topic  
Downhill

Downhill

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:22 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I never remember seeing ANY growing up in Chelan County in the '60s and '70s.  I guessed, incorrectly that they were indigenous but decimated by DDT and other commonly-used chemicals of that period, like eagles and other species, and turkeys are another recovery success story.

These days I see them everywhere throughout the region.  At my place, they strip the elderberry bushes clean in the fall.  Now I know that they are stealing an important food source from the black bears, deer, ground squirrels, chipmunks, and many other species of birds that I've observed munching on the berries (myself included  biggrin.gif )

A solution comes to mind, just in time for Thanksgiving!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 1:54 pm 
Downhill wrote:
Now I know that they are stealing an important food source from the black bears, deer, ground squirrels, chipmunks, and many other species of birds

Yep.  But there are also lots of missing animals, like grazing camelids, that had an ecological niche only a short while ago.

Downhill wrote:

My mother told me a story about her housekeeper.  Another client offered the housekeeper a wild turkey he had shot for Thanksgiving.  Money was tight so she was happy to accept.  She cooked it but they couldn't eat it, it was way too tough.  So unless you can tell that it is a yearling, you might end up with only turkey soup for Thanksgiving.   tongue.gif

--------------
Even my best friends, they don't know, that my job is turning lead into gold. When you hear that engine drone, I'm on the road again, and I'm searching for the philosopher's stone - Van Morrison
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman

Slower than ever
PostSat Nov 02, 2019 6:05 pm 
Pheasants are also invasive pests in North America. Some try to claim that because they are tasty that makes them not invasive. Right.....

--------------
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore. There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but nature more..."  Childe Harold
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman

Slower than ever
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:18 pm 
It’s the turkey apocalypse in New Jersey!

https://nj1015.com/overdevelopment-to-blame-for-turkey-terror-in-nj-animal-cop-says/

--------------
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore. There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but nature more..."  Childe Harold
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
alpendave
Cat Herder

alpendave

Cat Herder
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm 
Was walking my in-laws’ property in NW Montana and came across a spot that made it obvious that a lynx or bobcat (yes, did see a lynx one time) appreciated their presence.

--------------
Like a ray of sunshine in a drought stricken land.

What we do does far more than what we think others ought to do. Inspiration is a far greater power for good than coercion. In your own life, show others the good that you wish to see in the world.
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor

Dirt hippie
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:54 pm 
Yeah, husband saw a cat down in the meadows by the Teanaway off hwy 10 one morning, and we'd been seeing turkeys in there regularly all week.

--------------
~Mom jeans on wheels
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm 
Went for a bike ride today.  Saw a whole mess of turkeys in the orchard where they seem to hang out.  They seemed bigger and fatter this time.  Of course, soon as I stopped and got out the camera, they were running away.  There are two blobs that are turkeys in this picture.  They blend in well with all the dead leaves.   There is no way I can creep up on these demon birds.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm 
That’s an interesting picture Ts, very artistic!

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Downhill

Downhill

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Downhill wrote:
Now I know that they are stealing an important food source from the black bears, deer, ground squirrels, chipmunks, and many other species of birds

Yep.  But there are also lots of missing animals, like grazing camelids, that had an ecological niche only a short while ago.

Downhill wrote:

My mother told me a story about her housekeeper.  Another client offered the housekeeper a wild turkey he had shot for Thanksgiving.  Money was tight so she was happy to accept.  She cooked it but they couldn't eat it, it was way too tough.  So unless you can tell that it is a yearling, you might end up with only turkey soup for Thanksgiving.   tongue.gif

I'm a tightwad Scotsman so that makes me an expert at cooking the cheapest, toughest cuts of meat - pork, beef, fowl, etc.  Just takes an overnight in the brine and then cookin' slow and low.   To your point, if if all goes badly - soup time!   hockeygrin.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > The Turkey Invasion
  Happy Birthday fogpeople!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: