Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 pm 
They come over here a couple, two, three times a week, depending on weather. I tend to think of the flyovers in terms of $s. I can usually hear each plane for about 30 sec or so and there are almost always 2 planes. Average fuel consumption of F-18s is about 20gpm, x about $2/gallon jet fuel, x 2 planes: about $80 to $100 for the (mostly audio, sometimes a little video) show.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pcg

pcg
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 pm 
The last two times I've been to Maple Pass I've been buzzed by this falcon. Anyone else had this experience?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 pm 
I've never been buzzed by a falcon, but many times by military aircraft in the Glacier Peak and Alpine Lakes wildernesses. When I was a pilot I noticed the visual routes on the charts that went through my hiking terrain, and now anyone can see them easily on Caltopo: FAA sectional map near Stevens Pass. Look at VR1355 (light blue line), which heads to Mt David, then passes right by Glacier Peak. It heads towards Whidbey NAS. Every time they buzzed me, they were heading roughly northbound. If you do a search on VR1355 flight routes, you get some interesting YouTube videos. There are also some instrument flight routes in the area, line one near Dome Peak, plus another visual route in the same area. I'm not sure if the instrument routes get used often.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm 
Buzzed by two jets ( F-18s I assume). Suddenly flew over as I was getting water at upper Box Creek on the Carne Mountain High Route on October 17, mid-morning. I couldn't get my camera out quickly enough to snap a shot, but knowing they fly in pairs, I should have gotten the second plane. They either tipped their wing ( unlikely they saw me) or were just flying sideways in a high speed banked turn. I didn't see them for more than about 5 seconds each, as they were flying low over the ridges from over one larchy basin into the next. Maybe they like the color gold!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 pm 
Buzzed today near Hart’s Pass.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:44 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Buzzed today near Hart’s Pass.
Isn't it somewhat unusual to see them that far North? One of the things I've remarked upon about the Pasayten is the absence of airplanes flying over, both low-level military and high altitude passenger. Not that you never see them, but they are far less common than in the Central Cascades which are under heavily used commercial routes and frequent military flights.

some names

some names
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:12 pm 
Jan 25, we were snowshoeing on Bowen Mtn near Winthrop. One went past us, low, as we started out in the morning. We waved, but it didn't dip its wings, recognize us, or slow down for pictures. Another came by in the early afternoon as were on the summit . . . this time we recognized the sound and guessed right for once as to where to look. Still, only enough time to point and shoot the camera a few times before the flypersons in their rocket sled were gone around the corner of Bowen Mtn, likely off to do a quick Loup Loup loop . . . Bowen Mtn on a winter day, a pretty place to watch things hurtle by . . .
2019 Jan 25,  On Bowen Mtn, heard a rumble . . .
2019 Jan 25, On Bowen Mtn, heard a rumble . . .
Labeled
Labeled
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Last view . . .
Last view . . .
A closer crop.
A closer crop.

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 pm 
I have been buzzed at Fisher Lake. Now, living just north of Whidbey NAS, I get the up close and personal F18 experience almost daily. Who needs the Blue Angels. winksmile.gif I love planes, got to tool around Edwards AFB years ago, saw stealth and other neat stuff up close, before Homeland made it nearly impossible to get anywhere near a base. Lived just down the road from the retired Blackbirds for a while. Still nothing faster in our skies. Experienced the double sonic boom directly overhead, as the shuttle came back from space. That will wake you up quick. Now my back yard is adjacent to a small airport, and I watch the Cessnas defy gravity while I sip my coffee in the morning.

FredV

FredV
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 am 
Yesterday at Goat Peak ( William O. Douglas Wilderness).

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 am 
FredV wrote:
C-17? I'll take the sounds of the jets 10 days/week over someone's bluetooth speakers....even if I DO happen to like the music. smile.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:42 am 
Multiple times up around the ridges of the Middle Fork, including them coming through Dutch Miller Gap and other cols nearby. The most startling was when we were up on a sub-peak of Iron Cap late one early September day early in the century, and a few flew by very nearby and below us - may have been through the gap just east of Iron Cap (memory fades with time...). So suddenly loud!! I was glad to be well placed on solid ground. It's always fun to see them fly by below us.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 4:16 pm 
I cant count how many times Ive buzzed. A6's, E6B's, F14's, F18's even an F16 once. The best time, I was standing at Dutch Miller Gap looking down on lake Ivanhoe when an F18 buzzed me. He was so close his jet thrust wash knocked me on my back in the snow. I could see the pilot laughing at me. It was great. up.gif Watch the video, at exactly 9 min 25 sec's you can see La Bohn lakes out the left side of the canopy. Ive been up in P51 Mustangs, F4U Cousair's, P47 Thunderbolts, various WW2 bombers etc but never in a modern jet. Hell, Id rather do that Alpine Lakes flight than go into space. Everybody's pining for that. Not me.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mike

mike
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 pm 
SAR Sauk 2018

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:19 pm 
If getting buzzed by these guys doesn't make you chug your beer I don't know what does

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 pm 
On a spring skiing mission a few years ago we were standing on top of Rampart Ridge when an F-18 Growler buzzed up Gold Creek valley. I looked down on the pilot who give us a big thumbs up before banking a turn over Alta Pass and disappearing out towards the Lemahs. Thanks to this thread I know that's a specific Navy route now, VR-1335. I've also been buzzed by a C-130 at Gold Creek Pond. That was pretty incredible considering I grew-up in a city whose small regional airport shared facilities with a C-130 Hercules group of the National Guard.