Forum Index > Trip Reports > Phantom lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm 
Been enjoying these quick trips lately to keep me occupied in the shoulder season. Today made the quick trek to Phantom lake in Yakima County for some very early season ice fishing. Warm temps will hurt the ice on lakes, so be careful out there always use a pfd and picks when crossing or going on frozen water. Ice was about 3 inches thick I prefer 4+ but made due. Also hear plenty of gunshots from hunters had my and doggos orange on for safety. Trail has some icy spots but is easy to traverse and follow right now. Fall colors are past there prime in the area. Did manage 1 trout lost another 2.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 6:53 am 
Another of my favorite places. I was there in May, fish I caught were around a foot, very fat and healthy. How did the fish you caught appear if you don't mind telling me? Last stocked it 2 years ago, so will be up next year-that was when the road was closed at Grey Creek CG because of the washout, so we biked them in to where the trail goes up to the lake.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:15 am 
It was a fat hen, she was just shy of 11 inches and the ones that got away were in the same ballpark. She did have an empty stomach however, but I think they want to spawn even though they won't.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 pm 
Water level concerned me in the spring and it's clearly lower now. They've winterkilled a number of times since I've been visiting it, more in recent years than earlier. Thanks for sharing your info. If I'd have looked a little more carefully at the pic with the fish in it instead of the water level, I could have seen for myself. I'm guessing you know this since you know this area pretty well and if you're looking for another lake with a short walk-try Lily Lake in the Bumping.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 pm 
I did do Lily this spring and would like to go back, but I like going new places too much so I have not made the trip back.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 11:38 pm 
Corgis are da best!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 am 
Caught some nice fish at Lily in May, then I usually like to get back in October/early Nov. to fish it, but doesn’t look like I will. Kind of been my October in general after the first weekend. Anyway, I enjoy your posts, at least I can live vicariously through them. Thanks.