Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 10:11 am 
Tuesday October 15, 2019 09:21 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 1:47 pm 
Friday October 18, 2019 13:43 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm 
Wednesday October 30, 2019 14:50 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE Wolf post-recovery scoping public comment period extended two weeks Your chance to comment on how Washington's gray wolves should be managed once they are no longer state-listed and where they are managed under state authority is being extended two weeks, until Nov. 15. This gives people more time to submit input, especially those in rural areas without internet service. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is using a multi-year State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) process to develop a post-recovery wolf management and conservation plan. The plan development includes an extensive public outreach component. The public can provide input through 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 15. After that, the next opportunity will be when WDFW drafts an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in late 2020 that evaluates actions, alternatives, and impacts related to long-term wolf conservation and management. "The current plan the department uses to guide wolf conservation and management was started in 2007 and developed over five years specifically to inform wolf recovery. Because wolves are moving toward recovery in Washington, it is time to develop a new plan," said Julia Smith, WDFW wolf coordinator. "This is just the start of the process, so if you don't get your input to us by Nov. 15, there will be more opportunities in 2020." Since 2008, the state's wolf population has grown an average of 28 percent per year. With a minimum of 126 individuals, 27 packs, and 15 successful breeding pairs during the last annual population survey, biologists are confident that Washington's wolf population is on a path to successful recovery. "Although it may be a few years before meeting wolf recovery goals, we want to proactively start the conversation about how we should conserve and manage wolves in Washington for the long-term in our state, post-recovery," said Smith. More information, background, and frequently asked questions on wolf post-recovery planning is on the WDFW website. An online survey and online commenting are available at wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/post-recovery-planning. There is also a comment form that can be printed and mailed to the Department or general comments can be sent through the U.S. Mail to Lisa Wood, SEPA/NEPA Coordinator, WDFW Habitat Program, Protection Division, P.O. Box 43200, Olympia, WA 98504. Comments submitted via mail must be postmarked by Nov. 15. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlifeis the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities. -WDFW-

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostMon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 pm 
Incredible work by Aldersprings Ranch in Idaho of preventing predation on cattle via night penning. Not sure how financially feasible this model is for ranches receiving commodity prices but impressive nonetheless. I believe Aldersprings typically has 5 people on horseback with their herd. https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2LGR8IHelu/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 1:19 pm 
I'd like to download a long article about a range rider in Ferry County, but can't figure out how to do it. It is in the 11/3 (sunday) edition of the Spokesman Review. I have a subscription.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 pm 
Monday October 28, 2018 13:34 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW- =========================================================== Thursday October 31, 2019 10:35 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 pm 
Tuesday November 12, 2019 08:04 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:24 pm 
Ski when is WDFW supposed to make their report to the governor on wolves?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm 
Friday November 15, 2019 09:25 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:27 pm 
Monday December 09, 2019 12:02 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in its November Wolf Report wrote:
Biologists scouted areas north and south of Highway 12 in the South Cascades following up on recent public observation reports. Biologists did not locate any wolf sign, but they placed cameras to further survey the area. They also scouted areas north and south of Highway 2 near Steven’s Pass. Again, they did not locate any wolf sign, but they checked several cameras and deployed a couple more to continue to survey an area where the public recently reported wolf observations.
-WDFW-

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 2:58 pm 
Ski wrote:
WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE
Inslee says you gotta do better. Susewind says you gotta give me more money. redface.gif Still not sure why WDFW doesn't just say shucks, guess we will have to end grazing on federal land in prime wolf habitat.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm 
So WDFW IS expected to come up with some miracle way of stopping wolves from eating cattle that no other state has invented. All just to pacify Inslee and his political contributors. Just remember wolves are not just feeding on wolves on public land bit also private. Then to expect cattle owners to hire range riders when they operate on a thin profit line.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
"...prime wolf habitat..."
... by what metric? according to the Washington State Wolf Management Plan, that "prime habitat" would be elsewhere... ... but feel free to keep chanting the mantra.... somebody out there will believe it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Still not sure why WDFW doesn't just say shucks, guess we will have to end grazing on federal land in prime wolf habitat.
Maybe because it is federal? rolleyes.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Then to expect cattle owners to hire range riders when they operate on a thin profit line.
The one guy causing most of the problems is very rich. So you are kind of projecting there. Let's unpack this a bit. Cattle are wondrous machines for turning rangelands not suitable for farming into human food. For purely our convenience and profit, they have been bred to be fat and docile. By the time they reach adulthood, they can barely run. To maximize profits, ranchers prefer to simply release them into the wild in spring, and then go round them up in the fall. This necessitates the removal of all large predators capable of killing a calf, and so that is what our ancestors did. That era is over. So instead of manufacturing continual conflict by trying to maximize profits for ranchers, its time to find a middle way. We could breed cattle that can defend themselves, like their ancestors could. We could deploy llamas with the herds, which are quite good at defense. In Wyoming, they used to use wolfhounds. Sheep herds in Idaho are accompanied by range riders, why not cattle here in Washington? The idea of a calf bred to produce meat being safe in the wild is an entirely artificial construct. I have not argued against lethal removal on private land.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir