Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backcountry.com sues anyone using the word backcountry in their business
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:19 pm 
It will be interesting to see if the backlash has any effect. https://coloradosun.com/2019/11/05/backcountry-com-trademark-lawsuits-boycotts-backlash/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:55 pm 
Interesting. It’s like trying to patent the name “Olympics.”

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 3:08 pm 
It's pretty puzzling that word that is in the dictionary as a common noun can be trademarked in this way. I mean, they are going after Backcountry Babes, which does avy awareness classes and backcountry ski trips.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm 
Guess im done shopping at backcountry.com. Way to piss off your customers.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 pm 
Yea, got to wonder what they were thinking. Will be scrapping a Back Country goat decal off of my 4x4. Certainly will shop else ware in the future.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm 
Exclusive: Backcountry CEO breaks silence over trademark blowup, drops lawsuit against Marquette Backcountry Skis 11/06/19

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 6:45 pm 
In terms of what they were thinking, I guess when the company is absorbed into a mega conglomerate, everything besides profit can get lost. I like this quote. “This is a bullsh## private equity move, masters of the universe, trying to control the world,” said Rich Hill, president of Grassroots Outdoor Alliance. Check out their holdings. Comet and PBR and yoga. Maybe they can try to trademark "sexy hair" instead. http://www.tsgconsumer.com/portfolio

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 pm 
The young man I just spoke with at the 1-800 number at backcountry.com - the one who led me to the article I cited just above - made it pretty clear that they're feeling the heat. They've pissed off their customer base in a serious "shoot-yourself-in-the-foot" move and are just now realizing the potential long-term damage they may have done to their brand. I would expect them to start doing some frenetic backpedaling to mitigate the damage.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 pm 
It is common for clients who get trademarks to overreach. In reality the trademark is limited to a rather limited description of goods. In this case if they have a federal trademark they can realistically stop others from selling similar goods under the trademark backcountry.com. They cannot however, sue anyone who uses the term “Backcountry”. If they did the use would be improper as backcountry is a generic descriptive term. Usually it is the client making such claims without advice. I had a client who thought he had the sole right to a common word (withheld due to confidentiality) and threatened many who used it, he was successful in some cases but tarnished the reputation of his company.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 pm 
The backlash will last until the next sale. Oh look, 20% off a full priced item!

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 10:07 pm 
I've always liked moose jaw more anyway but it does help fortify my opinion.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 pm 
Very disappointing. frown.gif
Quote:
"Big companies that go after the small guys do that because they know they can bury them in legal costs and find loopholes and whatnot," Phillips said.
This is really the crux of it. It doesn't matter whether the trademark infringement claim is valid, the bigger company can steamroll the smaller one via the mere threat of tying this kind of thing up in the courts. The deeper pockets win. This is how patent trolls operated, until the EFF started helping lay the smack down on them. It seems likely that most of these Backcountry claims would be rejected, as the word itself is too generic to be completely restricted, and customers are unlikely to "mistake" an offroad map nonprofit for a huge online gear retailer. That said, the fact that the company is going after other product manufacturers rather than other retailers (Backcountrygear.com???) is telling in the direction they/their corporate overlords plan to further grow their business: no starting your own Backcountry Coffee company in case Backcountry.com decides they want to sell their own at some point... down.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
I've always liked moose jaw more anyway
Acquired by Walmart in 2017. I've scored some good deals from Campsaver recently. There's always REI. rolleyes.gif Do local independent gear shops even still exist? Sigh.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:15 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
That said, the fact that the company is going after other product manufacturers rather than other retailers (Backcountrygear.com???) is telling in the direction they/their corporate overlords plan to further grow their business: no starting your own Backcountry Coffee company in case Backcountry.com decides they want to sell their own at some point... down.gif
They have their own store brand, Stoic, so this really isn't that far fetched.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:39 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
They have their own store brand, Stoic, so this really isn't that far fetched.
I assumed Stoic was kinda deprecated at this point. They used to make real stuff under that brand (I have a pair of Stoic alpine gloves and a hardshell), but then it turned into a lifestyle brand a couple years ago. Per the SNEWS article, the trademark lawsuit shenanigans ramped up after they rolled out the new Backcountry branded ski line last year. I'm guessing Stoic is headed for the dustbin (or will always just be lifestyle) and "Backcountry" clothes are going to try to compete with real outerwear brands.