Forum Index > Trip Reports > Samammish River trail by pedestrian and paddler
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm 
I started at Bothell Landing park yesterday afternoon, pulling my canoe on the trail using wheels. From the looks I got people seemed surprised to see a boat on a RIVER trail. Go figure...
I pulled the boat for a few miles, maybe two or three, over to Wilmot Gateway park in Woodinville.
After spending several minutes scraping goose poop off my canoe wheels and sneaker bottoms, I launched into the Sammamish River.
I saw lots of wildlife, several species of ducks, the pooping geese, herons, and beavers. There is even one short section of class 1 rapids, a little scary as some rocks are barely submerged in the opaque black water. Too bad the “live” feature on the pics won’t work for viewers here, the swimming ducks and herons taking flight with an annoyed squawk are pretty cool.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 pm 
A very underrated paddle in my opinion. I don't know why folks don't take advantage. Been many, many times and frequently have had the entire slough all to ourselves https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025805

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 pm 
Hey, that’s cool, I’ve never done the upper portion, it does look nicer and less surrounded by houses and bordered by highways. I think I will give it a try though. I will start at 60 Acres and head upstream. Whenever I see the 5 mph signs it cracks me up to think they used to race hydros at 100 mph plus on the river, only stopping after one year a wayward boat ended the career but not the life of a UW pole vaulter. http://www.redmondhistoricalsociety.org/RHS/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=520:historic-sammamish-river-boat-races

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 am 
We once were in a canoe race there and got a trophy (we were the only boat in our class lol.gif ). There were some pros who were on the Canadian Team, I could have swore they had a motor hidden somewhere. Faster than 5 mph. Fun when the salmon are running to Lake Sammamish.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:04 pm 
cool. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 pm 
Hoe far does that trail go Sluggo?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:31 pm 
It runs all the way to Marymoor park, about ten miles. It connects to the Burke Gilman trail so a person can do about 25 miles each way, nice and flat, lots of parks to stop at along the way, never have to ride with cars, just some street crossings that require caution. The whole 25 miles can also be canoed or kayaked. I might have to try that in my motorized canoe, start just north of the dam on the Sammamish river at Marymoor, go all the way to the Ballard locks.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:47 pm 
The trail itself is way overcrowded especially near the wineries on anything but a rainy weekday. Not good for bikers because of the walkers, skaters, and runners and not good for them because of the bikers some of which seem to be practicing for the Tour in pacelines. The slough is blissfully lonely.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Washakie

Washakie
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 am 
I used to live near Marymore Park. My first canoe experience was practicing on the Sammamish for a Run Row Ride race in Duval. Not as easy as it looks.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
mosey

mosey
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am 
That slough is fun a trip! Last time I kayaked up it, a friend got tipped in while mooring near Woodinville... And from the smell I wouldn't swim in it wink.gif I can't believe they used to race on it. Cool history tidbit.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:10 pm 
Earlier this year, during a low flow time, I went upstream from the boat launch at the mouth of the river in my motorized canoe, to see how far I could go. I tried to make it up the rapids that are just before Wilmot Gateway. The water was fast but not too fast, but it was too shallow. My motor only needs about one foot deep of water but it was bottoming out on the rocks. I had to abort and do a u-turn while also shutting off and pulling up the motor, and it was a moment of sheer terror before I was safely headed downstream. Now I want to return in the paddling canoe and try it. The problem won’t be bottoming out, and the paddling canoe turns easily and can handle rapids up to class 2 easily, but I am not sure I can paddle fast enough for long enough to get past the fast flowing section.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 pm 
I went down to Bothell Landing park yesterday, and walked a couple of miles towards Woodinville and then walked back, no canoe this time. But the river was flowing high and fast. Two feet higher at least than on Nov 7th. The recent rain we had that didn’t raise Lake Washington more than an inch or two raised Lake Sammamish two feet. The speed of the current was amazing and a little scary.