Forum Index > Trip Reports > Driveway Butte & Lookout Mtn Nov. 6 & 7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm 
Not many reports about these two destinations in the Methow in the fall. It is definitely off-off-season . . . but the destinations have their own beauty, nonetheless! On a whim, Barry and I decided to head to the Methow because the weather window was excellent. When you are (semi) retired, that’s what you do - because you can! Wed morning early we loaded Cooper and gear into the car and headed north. After a stop at Wells Dam for a Cooper-relief break, we hit the trailhead at the Klipchuck campground (which was closed - but the Driveway Butte trailhead was open) about 2 1/2 hours from leaving Wenatchee. It was a nippy 40 degrees at almost 10:30 am, but we quickly broke out into the sun and it was heavenly - with layers of clothes being shed.
It's really 4 1/2 miles!
It's really 4 1/2 miles!
Silver Star
Silver Star
Looking west to Needles Spire & others
Looking west to Needles Spire & others
Southend of Delancy Ridge (& southend of Cooper & Barry)
Southend of Delancy Ridge (& southend of Cooper & Barry)
It’s pretty much a steady uphill - and in the late spring is a magnet for flower-seekers. Today, we had late fall grays, tans and browns - much like my clothes closet at home! Dull.
Browns & grays of fall along the trail
Browns & grays of fall along the trail
We had never been here and wanted to do the summit while the road was still open. A steady push to the saddle for Delancy Ridge - where you traverse north-south on your way to Driveway Butte. Patches of some snow and ice in the shadows on the north side - but by and large a clear trail that has been logged out this year.
Goat Mtn Lookout
Goat Mtn Lookout
Driveway Butte ahead through the 2003 burn
Driveway Butte ahead through the 2003 burn
A little icy in spots
A little icy in spots
Some blow downs since the log-out, but those were easily hiked around or over. Very pleasant route to the base of Driveway and then a last 300’ push to the summit and viola - you’re there, with stunning views all around. Some nice campsites - but water would be a challenge. We spent probably 45 mins on the summit soaking up the sun and decided to return via the old trail that follows the Northwest ridge back down and connects to the trail we came up.
Thank you!
Thank you!
Driveway Butte ahead
Driveway Butte ahead
New sticks for my birthday
New sticks for my birthday
Lunchtime
Lunchtime
Hello
Hello
Looking south down the Methow Valley
Looking south down the Methow Valley
Footings for old lookout site
Footings for old lookout site
With daylight hours so few, we finally headed back about 1:45 pm - the sun sank behind Vasiliki Ridge before 3! We were back to the car by 3:30 and the temps were starting to drop. What a beautiful fall day in the mountains- 9 miles round trip and more than 3000’ gain.
Where's Cooper?
Where's Cooper?
Mahogany
Mahogany
Yarrow
Yarrow
Next year, Balsamroot
Next year, Balsamroot
Heading back to the car
Heading back to the car
But wait, there’s more! We stayed over in a nice little cabin near Mazama, taking advantage of the off, off-season rates. The downside is, not a lot of restaurants are open mid-week this time of year either. Today we woke to high clouds - but promising weather. A cool 23! Grabbed some coffee at the Mazama store (bring your own mug with you if you want carry out - we bought two Moose glass jars for to go at $1/each!) Headed back towards Twisp and turned on the Twisp River Rd to go up Lookout Mtn. We have tried two times before, but could only get about a 1/4 mile up the dirt road due to snow. No snow today, but there is a gate about 1 1/2 miles below the actual trailhead that was closed for winter deer 🦌 migration. Oh well, doubling our mileage and elevation gain - it’s good for us.
UhOh - end of the road
UhOh - end of the road
All I can say is that every bit of the extra mileage and gain was worth it! WOW 🤩 and sun 🌞 on top. It was beautiful - with a 360 of the Methow and looking over into the Chelan Sawtooths. Pictures don’t do it justice. Bet it’s pretty in the late spring with Balsamroot, etc.
Granite Peak on the ridge in the distance
Granite Peak on the ridge in the distance
Looking northwest from trail
Looking northwest from trail
Lookout Mtn ahead
Lookout Mtn ahead
We stayed quite a while gawking. And as we were making our way back down the trail, maybe a 1/4 mile from the summit- a low flying helicopter appears, circles and lands at the Lookout! Maybe they just wanted a nice lunch spot! We kept going and didn’t see the copter again before we got back to the car.
Peak finding
Peak finding
Looking west
Looking west
Methow Valley
Methow Valley
Cool clouds
Cool clouds
Pano looking southwest
Pano looking southwest
Pano looking east
Pano looking east
Northeast corner of the Lookout
Northeast corner of the Lookout
Looking southeast from the Lookout
Looking southeast from the Lookout
Looking east
Looking east
View from abo e
View from abo e
Snack time
Snack time
Barry & Cooper checking out Methow Valley
Barry & Cooper checking out Methow Valley
Alien message
Alien message
room with a loo
room with a loo
Fall is here
Fall is here
A simply lovely couple of days!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am 
I passed through your neck of the woods a couple days ago and was amazed how it's grown. Wenatchee has definitely been discovered. Love the access to places like in your report within easy striking distance though.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am 
Yup, 206'ers have found us! lol.gif Actually, the job and being closer to places where we like to hike was what brought me over here! I see more of my hiking friends now than I did when I lived in Seattle! agree.gif dizzy.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm 
iron wrote:
wait, you're the one that lead the 206ers out there... rolleyes.gif
Yes, I always like to consider myself as The Leader of the Pack! lol.gif winksmile.gif