Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > America's National Parks could be one week away from handing campgrounds over to private companies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 am 
From Tuesday Nov 5 Guardian: “Trump team plan seeks to ‘modernize' national parks, with wifi and Amazon deliveries” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/05/trump-advisers-urge-modernization-national-parks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 pm 
catsp wrote:
"7. Clarification of current practices that offer 50% senior discounts to campers over the age of 62 (established by the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act) that apply only to base campsite fees, and introduction of new senior fee blackout periods during peak season periods..." I got no problem with that.
I do.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 10:30 am 
catsp wrote:
I don't really understand why "seniors" as a group should be getting such discounts in the first place.
here's the "why": (1) most of them vote (2) they represent a larger share of the electorate than other demographics

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:18 pm 
And reason (3): Many of us seniors are on fixed incomes, which means that every year we get poorer! Without the discount, I wouldn't be able to afford entrance or campground fees.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 5:55 pm 
I paid for the pass, I should get what I paid for. It was something to look forward to about getting older. .

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 7:01 pm 
catsp wrote:
This doesn't really answer the question I intended, which was more a question (observation really) of why older people should have some of "entitlement" to lower fees. But I read your response as simply saying that they can demand it from their representatives because they can vote them out otherwise. It makes sense in that regard (though only if we assume that those in that group that vote actually care about this particular issue), but that could be said of anything with a large enough voting block. It doesn't really address why they should be treated as "special" based on age alone (which is what I don't see).
Yes, it does answer the question. You just didn't like the answer, which is the political reality currently. Yes, if the elected officials don't do what their constituents want them to do, they get voted out. That's how it works in this country. Yes, older people should be treated as "special" based on age alone. Why not? As treeswarper points out above, "It was something to look forward to about getting older." That was a deal that was made long ago, and people agreed to the terms and paid their tax dollars into some sort of fund. That Congress or somebody else in Washington DC dipped into that money and pissed it away on some other project, or embezzled it, doesn't change the terms of the agreement.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 am 
Getting back to the campground development and privatization issue. You don't have to rely on media sources you don't trust; you can read the commission's recommendations on their own and judge for yourself. We've known that this commission has been stacked with campground/concession industry people since it's inception and that their motives are profit, pure and simple. This is something that has been troubling to NPS employees since the start. This is not simply a matter of a concession employee rather than a ranger cleaning the toilets. It's private enterprise trying to monetize camping at NPs. Included in the proposal are permissions to bypass environmental review for campground expansion and development. The parts about adding more types of concessions (food trucks, Amazon delivery) to make them appeal to millennials is just odd. Campgrounds are already wildly popular. In case anyone doesn't want to read the commission document, I think the LA Times does a good job of summing up. https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2019-11-04/trump-administration-privatize-national-parks-tourism

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:38 am 
The Geezer Pass is hardly a handout anymore. I turned old enough for it just in time for a rate hike. I believe it was $20 but then jumped up to $80 when I came of age. One can also buy it by the year for $20 and that is used as a "payment" which will eventually get you the full price lifetime (left) deal. We pay for it. Many campgrounds/parks are only open May through September. So, when is the peak season when a place is only open during the peak season?

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am 
Slugman wrote:
The NPS really does not know how to run a campground. Look at Kalaloch in ONP, very poorly run. The best campsites are on the bluff overlooking the ocean, the worst are back in the woods near to the highway. So for most of the year what do they do? Close 2/3rds of the campground, so that people are forced to camp in lousy spots while a few feet away are the best spots in the campground. A simple changing of the gate locations could allow for closing the unused poor campsites while leaving the best ones open. Then they refuse to electrify the campsites, but allow generators. This is so stupid and so completely destroys the peace and quiet that I will no longer camp there. When I camp at places run by Hoodoo recreation or similar outfits, the campgrounds are clean and inexpensive. And I have stayed at plenty, dozens, here in WA, in OR, and CA. I think people are forgetting these are car camping campgrounds catering to motorhomes as much as tents. Ever been to Yellowstone? The campgrounds are like little cities. They have stores, restaurants, laundromats, etc. Now someone is going to panic over a food truck? Holy cow.
The NPS closes "loops" while keeping one loop open so that they only have to keep one restroom open and can focus maintenance efforts on one smaller location rather than spread out through the whole place. This is how these campgrounds were designed to work, starting in the 1930s with the advent of the loop design, the continued in the late 1950s/early 1960s in the huge Mission 66 era of development where loop type campgrounds became the norm. Do you imagine that a contractor, who wants to make as much money as possible, will keep all the loops with all the restrooms open during slow times? I don't. I also question the "simple moving of gates" on these loop type campgrounds. As far as "refusing" to electrify the campsites, I suppose that's fair, but it's also a popular policy. RVers have complained about this since the 1950s but the fact is, tent camping is more popular and tent campers dislike RVs. Tent camping has long been seen, among NPS planners, as a way for families and people with modest incomes to afford to stay in NPs. They recognize that the concession lodgings are too expensive for most people. Then, there's also the fact that concessioners are a huge source of complaints for the NPS. They tend to overcharge and provide poor service. Ever eaten at Paradise Inn? Or go look at reviews for Lake Crescent Lodge. Slugman, I'm glad you've had good experiences with a particular concessioner, but that is not the norm in NPs. Finally--yes, at Yellowstone (Grand Canyon and Yosemite, too) there are campgrounds that are like mini cities. They exist, though it's not the norm in NPs. But is that what we want for all of our NPs?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm 
The unfairness of the Geezer Pass is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things compared to income inequality, racial, sexual, and age discrimination. While you are at it why not eliminate military, volunteer, 4th grade, and access passes. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 1:54 pm 
Define "handout". My definition would be --free. I PAID REAL MONEY for that pass, plus years and years of paying taxes. Do you pay taxes? Do you think that seniors do not pay taxes? Yup, I still pay income and all the assorted state and property taxes. Using your logic, perhaps we seniors should not have to pay school levy taxes as we have no kids in school. I'm giving them a ---handout! I didn't go on many trips for fun while working and paying taxes. I am doing that now, and still paying taxes plus camping fees. I do not get anything--for free, except sometimes my friends with gardens give me corn and carrots. Dunno what YOUR definition of handout is, but I bet it is wrong.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
"...my friends with gardens give me corn and carrots..."
what? no zucchini?!?!? dizzy.gif something tells me that the message just isn't getting through.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm 
Ski, I do not care for zucchini. I can't even spell it without looking it up! I put two straw bales in my front yard and amused my neighbors. I was able to grow some nice tomatoes and actually "handed out" a few to the neighbors. Got raspberries going too. The soil here is sand and it takes a bit of work to get it garden ready. Automatic sprinklers are a godsend. I pay for my water also. biggrin.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:52 am 
I paid for that Senior Pass and received a contract on the conditions it could be used - including a 50% discount on campsite fees for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract. If they want to change the conditions for future passes and call it something else, that's their prerogative.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:02 pm 
Schroder wrote:
"...for the remainder of my life. They would be breaking that contract."
^ why's this so difficult to understand?