Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do cars get broken into at Harts Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 3:09 pm 
A lot of people are intimidated by the road, and there's "low hanging fruit" in the form of camps and trailheads before a junkie gets all the way up to Harts. Plus the guard station is manned during the summer. Have you heard of a break in up there?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm 
Don't know the answer to your specific question, but this is why I like to take multi day hikes out of Obstruction Point in the Olympics; 30$ to get in, 17 mile ride to Hurricane Ridge then an 8 mile spine tingling, kidney jarring ride out to Obstruction Point. Challenging access keeps the riff-raff at bay.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm 
I've only been out there a few times, don't recall seeing any broken glass indicating previous break-ins. I kinda doubt the tweakers bother driving that far out for a score. Not when there are much easier pickings right off of Hwy 20.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 pm 
Ive never heard of it. Its a LONG way to go for that purpose. That said, the Winthrop ranger station would be the place to ask.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 3:24 pm 
I seem to recall that some trailheads were being hit in that area a while back and the culprits were arrested at the Mazama Store. Edit: Here's the story. https://methowvalleynews.com/2018/07/06/three-arrested-in-connection-with-trailhead-vehicle-break-ins/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm 
They were being into route 20 trailheads, Cedar Creek, Blue Lake, and some unnamed place on Goat Creek Road. I've never heard of a break-in up at Harts Pass and I've never seen glass or debris in any of the parking anywhere up there. I always assumed that was because of the street sweepers. dizzy.gif I'm using my powers of stereotyping to assume most people doing break-ins are junkies, and most junkies don't have fine motor control, which adds up to that section of road being petty scary. I'm planning an adventure for the spring (cabin fever already) and thinking about the wisdom of leaving a camera in my trunk at the Harts or Slate Pass TH. Of course now that I said that, everyone will start breaking into cars there...

Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 am 
Obstruction Point Road leaves me nauseous about every third trip. I do not like that long downhill on the slope just south of Eagle Point. I watched a video of someone motorcycling the Harts Pass Road. I would probably have to nope out on that one.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm planning an adventure for the spring (cabin fever already) and thinking about the wisdom of leaving a camera in my trunk at the Harts or Slate Pass TH.
You could always cache it nearby.

funhog

funhog
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 am 
I go up there alot and I've never seen any evidence of breakin nor have I heard of any. I spend a bit of time visiting with the volunteer rangers and they haven't mentioned any problems. I've left all kinds of gear unlocked in my rig like even cell phone and its always been there when I have returned. Not to say it hasn't or won't happen but that's been my experience. good luck and have fun,.

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 pm 
I'm not recommending this, but this is something people have done in urban environments. Don't leave anything at all valuable to you in your vehicle, and leave it unlocked. Some people also leave a jar of change in the vehicle so the thief maybe doesn't get mad and vandalize. It's risk management. If there are no thieves, leaving your rig unlocked won't matter. Controversial, I know; just a thought.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm 
Leaving a car unlocked is a strategy..., though I wouldn’t leave any valuables. One time many years ago my brother and I each parked at Gold ck. He left his car unlocked, I didn’t. Guess who had a broken window - even though there was nothing in my car. If I think it’s very likely to be broken into, I will on occasion leave it unlocked. Apparently it’s been happening lately at Tiger.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm 
I had a car that kept getting broken into when I lived on Cap Hill. It had a broken window I hadn't fixed yet, and somebody broke another window. There was nothing in it, but I guess if you're a junkie desperate for a fix, you never know, there could be a pile of money in the dashboard. Based on that experience, I don't have much faith in leaving the car unlocked. And anyway, I'm debating whether to do a loop as a very long day and leave the heavy camera, then use it car camping before I head home, or to do the hike in two days and bring it with me.
pcg wrote:
You could always cache it nearby.
I'll have to look into the details, but I'm thinking insurance will cover it if it's stolen from inside my locked car, but not if it's outside accessible to the world. Of course every time I assume, the world seems to have other plans...

graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 7:34 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'll have to look into the details, but I'm thinking insurance will cover it if it's stolen from inside my locked car
Check your renters or homeowners insurance. It should cover it. Auto insurance probably won't. Don't ask how I know this...

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 am 
I think your car will be safe. It's the trailheads on hwy 20 that are not. My source for this info is a friend who dayhikes over there at least once a week. Why would a thief go all the way to Harts Pass when there are much easier trailheads to hit? You could call the ranger station and they'd probably give you a non committal answer. Or call the Okanogan County Sheriff, and get the same. Go. Lock your camera in the trunk. I bet it'll be there when you come back.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm 
Yup. Homeowners - covers your possessions "worldwide" other than Scheduled Fine Arts. Ask how I know - I work in insurance.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.