Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you want a self-driving car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you want a self-driving car?
No
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No only no, but HELL NO!!!
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 51

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm 
I want a Self Sailing Nuclear Submarine! moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:02 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
time for REAL driving skill tests before handing over a license to kill. If one can't pass some real emergency recovery and avoidance skill tests they get relegated to an "autonomous" driver's license. Even 1 DUI means you are permanently relegated to autonomous mode...same with reckless driving, aggressive driving, distracted driving or loss of skills due to age/disease. If one can't pay total attention while driving and have complete control of one's vehicle then they lose the right to endanger the rest of us. This is about safety since we allow poor drivers to drive because they need to be able to get to and from work/school etc, this may provide a work-around by allowing these folks a way to get where they need to go w/o undue risk to the competent drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
They let me take my written test in braille.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:31 pm 
Another wonderful thing about self driving cars is parking will be a headache of the past. 😁

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm 
Dogs are the answer here. These self driving cars are only gonna be so good. We gotta get dogs trained up to be behind the wheel of these cars. The dogs can push the button to start and stop the cars and more or less just sit there doing basic controls. So we manufacture cars that are 90% self driving then leave that last 10% to the dogs. Dogs are smart enough to control a mostly self driving car. It's kind of like a dog sledding type deal only it's a car. Every car on the road has a dog behind the wheel, it will be humanity's next big leap in taming animals

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Predictions of "mandatory" use of self-driving cars are baseless.
Not sure I go along with that. I can certainly foresee a future within my lifetime where all new cars are required to be autonomous. All that has to happen for this to become reality is evidence that autonomous cars are safer than human controlled cars. This will surely happen as the technology matures. Just look at all the required safety equipment on new cars that was optional or simply didn't exist even 20 years ago. Most notable - backup cameras, tire pressure monitors, and vehicle stability control. All that tech just adds to the expense and complexity (and weight) of modern cars. Backup cameras and stability control systems started out as options on high end cars and now they're required on EVERY car. To think that they won't be made mandatory once the bugs are worked out and it's shown that autonomous driving systems don't fall asleep at the wheel, don't get drunk, don't have heart attacks or seizures, don't drive aggressively/recklessly, never get distracted, and generally are involved in far fewer accidents & fatalities than non-autonomous vehicles is wishful thinking.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:46 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Predictions of "mandatory" use of self-driving cars are baseless.
Not sure I go along with that. I can certainly foresee a future within my lifetime where all new cars are required to be autonomous. All that has to happen for this to become reality is evidence that autonomous cars are safer than human controlled cars. This will surely happen as the technology matures. Just look at all the required safety equipment on new cars that was optional or simply didn't exist even 20 years ago. Most notable - backup cameras, tire pressure monitors, and vehicle stability control. All that tech just adds to the expense and complexity (and weight) of modern cars. Backup cameras and stability control systems started out as options on high end cars and now they're required on EVERY car. To think that they won't be made mandatory once the bugs are worked out and it's shown that autonomous driving systems don't fall asleep at the wheel, don't get drunk, don't have heart attacks or seizures, don't drive aggressively/recklessly, never get distracted, and generally are involved in far fewer accidents & fatalities than non-autonomous vehicles is wishful thinking.
I wouldn't be surprised if with a decade or two that all new cars sold will be required to have self driving capabilities. But it's been more than three decades since catalytic converters were required for all new vehicles, yet it is still legal to operate older vehicles without a catalytic converter. If anything what will happen in a couple of decades is that insurance companies will offer cheaper rates for autonomous only vehicles based on an established record of safe operation. But outright outlawing of human driven vehicles seems highly improbable for several generations. I can envision my grandchildren (now 4 and 6) never learning to drive a motor vehicle or particularly caring too.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 pm 
Self driving cars will dovetail with shared use instead of private ownership. In cities, this means not having to find/pay for parking, not worrying about it being broken into, and you won't have to maintain insurance or registration - like an Uber or a taxi. You'll be able to rent one for several days for a hike, and it will drive itself to the TH you'll end up hike at, no more complicated logistics involving favors from friends. Who wouldn't want all of this?? It'll take longer for that to happen outside cities, but the population keeps rising, and places that used to be smaller towns are getting more crowded.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
and it will drive itself to the TH you'll end up hike at
Oh yeah!! So I can smoke as much weed as I want on the way there! And assuming it'll drive me back, drink as much beer as I want on the way back. Course i bet rates will skyrocket if you're to drunk to exit the vehicle and just pass out in it in front of your house or living arrangement.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:16 pm 
If you're drunk enough it'll take the long way and charge you extra. Those robots are shifty. My phone wanted to typo shifty. I'll leave it to your imagination what came out instead.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 am 
Who wouldn't want all of this? Folks not interested in having their mobility and options constrained by not owning their vehicle. If that's what you value, awesome. Just leave other folks alone to choose other values and actions and there's no reason for conflict.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 3:23 pm 
No way in Hell! I don't trust Scientists with my body, sure the Hell won't trust Engineers and Manufactures with my life. Too much technology, when will it ever end? shakehead.gif Technology is what many say is causing GW, so why do we need more? Mankind is hell bent upon their own destruction in the name of 'progress'. It is too late to reverse it, people don't like change and many refuse to do so.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 3:40 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
No way in Hell! I don't trust Scientists with my body, sure the Hell won't trust Engineers and Manufactures with my life.
So if your appendix bursts, you'll perform self-surgery like that Russian guy in Antarctica? Hardcore, man. Otherwise I'm with you--I'll drive myself, thanks, at least until we have a more automation-friendly infrastructure. And I certainly won't pay Tesla an extra $11K or whatever it is now for a technology that might work some day. Seems like they're going the wrong direction with the elimination of lidar.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Too much technology, when will it ever end?
You know the answer. When it replaces us.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm 
neek wrote:
You know the answer. When it replaces us.
Or when the technology contributing to global warming destroys the Earth. That might happen before auto driving cars are a common thing. It would be nice to go to the bar, drink your fill and not have to worry about driving home.
neek wrote:
So if your appendix bursts, you'll perform self-surgery like that Russian guy in Antarctica? Hardcore, man.
I said Scientists, not Doctors, there is a choice with the first group, not so much with the second.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 4:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
It would be nice to go to the bar, drink your fill and not have to worry about driving home.
The nearest bar for me is 1.5 mi up a steep hill. I can bike there and literally roll home.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I said Scientists, not Doctors, there is a choice with the first group, not so much with the second.
Ah, OK, but are we talking real scientists, like physicists and biologists, or those fake ones in the sociology departments?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 4:09 pm 
neek wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
It would be nice to go to the bar, drink your fill and not have to worry about driving home.
The nearest bar for me is 1.5 mi up a steep hill. I can bike there and literally roll home.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Ah, OK, but are we talking real scientists, like physicists and biologists, or those fake ones in the sociology departments?
Yes the real Scientists and especially those with Political Affiliations. A hiking partner I met here said they received a DUI while on a bicycle, so not a fail safe option and just walking down the road while intoxicated, if caught carries about a 1k fine. But you don't strike me as the type of person who typically over-indulges, so you are likely under the limit anyway. When I used to play pool and dart a lot, I would have less than one beer per hour and then drink water and pee a couple times the last hour before heading home and never any hard A before driving. When I first began driving back in ND, the BAL was .12...and you could drive 20 miles to Montana where the drinking age was 18. Things have changed a bit since then. Back on the original topic, I am too old to change and I will drive my own damn car thank you!