Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm 
A thing in Israel apparently. Not sure if it's mostly serious or mostly a joke. I could see doing it in my office just to annoy my coworkers. https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-photos-of-greta-thunberg-being-used-to-stop-israelis-using-disposables-at-work-1.8090477

John
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 am 
AGW deniers are kind of like people who mix acid and bleach after being told it is not a good idea.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am 
AGW alarmists are like Watchtower door knockers--on meth.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am 
"In 1841, Charles Mackay, a Scottish journalist, collected a series of such emotion-driven crowd phenomena that can be likened to current efforts to ramp up climate advocacy: Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. There was the Dutch Tulip mania in the 18th century. The fascination of alchemists and their delusion of being able to turn base metals into gold. The Flagellants of the 14th century who whipped themselves, hoping to seek the pity of God or to rid themselves of the bubonic plague. In the United States, we might note the Salem Witch Trials of the 17th century, or more recently, the Red Scare of the 20th century. These are just a handful of public delusions that are a recurrent human social problem. Call it an outsized emotional reaction that spreads to a community (which is sometimes described as a mass psychogenic illness). It can be positive or negative, mild or frenzied, localized or uncontained and widespread. That is the herd thinking to which we are susceptible. Mackay observed in 1841, “Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.” That danger has always been part of the human condition. The challenge is to recognize it, to be cautious in participating it, and to avoid urging it upon the wider community when the cause is uncertain, ambiguous and unlikely to be solved by the frenzy of the masses." Opinion: We Must Confront ‘Climate Change’ with Reason Rather Than Emotion https://timesofsandiego.com/opinion/2019/11/08/we-must-confront-climate-change-with-reason-rather-than-emotion/

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
AGW deniers are kind of like people who mix acid and bleach after being told it is not a good idea.
The result of mixing acid and bleach is accurately predicted by well-understood chemical theory and can be demonstrated with a simple experiment. If you think climate change as an existential threat is in the same category because 'science' then you clearly don't know very much about the subject.

John
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 pm 
The absorption spectra of a Carbon Dioxide is basic physical Chemistry and is accurately predicted both quantitatively and qualitatively by basic equations. The decomposition of the hypochlorite ion under both acid and basic compositions is reasonably complex inorganic chemistry and is not intuitively obvious. Who the heck said anything about existential threat?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
CC wrote:
I notice you still have not noted who the warmist's alleged sky god is. On the other hand, I have heard that free-market zealots, who comprise a large portion of denialists, worship a powerful sky god they call The Great Invisible Hand.
I didn't claim they had one, so I'm not on the hook to explain what I never said in the first place.
MtnGoat wrote:
Here's more of the environmental cost of sating the sky god religion at a the cost of trillions and massive restrictions on life of every citizen....
So they have a sky god religion but no sky god. OK, got it.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
You are intentionally making yet another public ad hom attack by impugning people on the autism spectrum. Nice. I wonder if you consider yourself one of the inclusive, tolerant people. I guess your tactics are acceptable because of your intentions.
Not in the least impugning them. I have an autistic granddaughter. That's why I know the symptomatology.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Who the heck said anything about existential threat?
The extreme left says this all the time. Of course the extreme right denies global warming entirely. The truth, as it usually is, is in the middle.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am 
Parked Out wrote:
In 1841, Charles Mackay, a Scottish journalist, collected a series of such emotion-driven crowd phenomena that can be likened to current efforts to ramp up climate advocacy: Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.
Coincidentally, I just finished re-reading this book. Highly recommended. For you to compare AGW advocacy to the delusions in the book is beyond ridiculous. Just the opposite is true. The real delusion is the one Mtn Goat recently endorsed, the fairy tale of perpetual economic growth. This is the belief that is analogous to Tulipmania, the belief that the market price of tulips would go up forever. Perpetual growth is the purest of beliefs, absolutely essential to free-market doctrine, and entirely devoid of "facts and logic." As an excuse to dedicate one's life to guilt-free overconsumption, it speaks volumes to what is actually going in this debate. AGW is essentially a claim that Arrhenius was right in his 1899 landmark paper on the physics of what are euphemistically known as greenhouse gases. It might not be right, but it is a scientific debate. There are no talking snakes or magic apples. Charles Mackay would be disgusted with your invocation of his work. shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
The extreme left says this all the time.
Oh Strawman argument not anyone here.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 3:59 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
For you to compare AGW advocacy to the delusions in the book is beyond ridiculous... AGW is essentially a claim that Arrhenius was right in his 1899 landmark paper on the physics of what are euphemistically known as greenhouse gases.
So either you were too lazy to read the article and get the context, or your reading comprehension is so slight that you think Nalven is comparing the idea of carbon dioxide being a greenhouse gas to e.g., the Salem witch trials.

John
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 pm 

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:13 pm 
I recognize that voice. Does he sit in for Rush Limbaugh at times?

don't believe everything you think
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm 
gazzillions of dollars? The only ones with gazzillions of dollars at stake are...the oil companies.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.