Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cable Line attempted assault
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm 
Two of these were posted near the start the CL trail a week ago. Didn't see anything posted here about them, excuse if this is a double-post. I've been hiking on this trail, often in the dark, since 1993 or so, and the only time I felt threatened was the night I saw a cougar on trail near the top. I'm sure there have been incidents over the years, and car prowls are not unheard of, but sheesh, it just sucks to be fearful of an after work hike I've been doing for a quarter century. So...heads up, and also a request: It has traditionally (no pun intended) been very difficult to get any law enforcement entity to be responsible for this trailhead. Issaquah police won't touch it and KingCo Sheriff, who is, I believe, the responsible LE group, outright refused to even take a statement when my wallet was stolen from my car there (I accidentally left the door unlocked). So I request that if you see people checking cars, feel threatened, or witness questionable behavior please DO call the police. They won't do anything about keep the area at the base of the trail safe unless, sadly, calls become frequent. Thanks.

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm 
Thanks for the heads-up... Unfortunately this specific exit, road and trailhead has been getting increasingly sketchy... the recent no-overnight signs seem to be proof of that. Feels like the tent-city on the other side of the exit were never an issue (clean area, sort of organized, etc), but it started to attract peripheral squatters to the area... Be safe everyone... PS: cans of bear spray are <$40

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm 
Its sad how pro-crime policies hurt so many people and close off so many areas of metro regions like seattle.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 3:17 pm 
This pic has been circulating the web for a few weeks and honestly, the story seems made up.

Jake Dogfish

Jake Dogfish
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
What does “likely had a knife” mean?

monorail

monorail
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:03 pm 
...or "likely in pursuit of the hiker's wallet and keys." How did they come to that conclusion? Also: "All three are chain smokers." Not something you can determine from a quick glance at a trailhead. Sounds to me like possibly a vendetta: someone has a beef with these three guys, and wants them to feel unwelcome. But it could be legit, and I certainly encourage people to be alert (cryptic sign or no cryptic sign). Also, my doubts about the sign are no reflection on the OP; I appreciate the impulse to make people aware of a possible danger.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:35 pm 
And here I thought this was going to be a trip report. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 pm 
Hmmmm, trying to visualize three vagrant late-middle aged chain smokers "pursuing" their quarry up the Cable Line. How far was the victim pursued? How fast? Not saying I don't believe the story--just that there ought to be more to the story. Lacking relevant details, this could just as easily be a case of cosmopolitan sensibilities meets Camel-smoking gruff in a beat-up truck. More details please! That said, never hurts to be vigilant.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm 
"A trio of three white males ..." That is an odd choice of words. "medium-oldish, plain-white pickup truck" That's the best description of the truck they can give? Who knows if this is legit, but that sign is weird. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:30 pm 
People, people...get a hold of yourselves. Why the nitpicking and conspiracy theory all the sudden? It's a warning sign someone put up. That's all. Perhaps it doesn't meet Wales Literary Agency standards, but maybe the person who wrote it doesn't have a Doctorate in the genre of Warnings at Trail heads.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
People, people...get a hold of yourselves. Why the nitpicking and conspiracy theory all the sudden? It's a warning sign someone put up. That's all. Perhaps it doesn't meet Wales Literary Agency standards, but maybe the person who wrote it doesn't have a Doctorate in the genre of Warnings at Trail heads.
Thank you, Kim. While I have not personally been harassed (other than the year-ago quasi-break in when I left my doors unlocked), there has been an increase in people milling around that lower parking area near the gate, heaps of garbage along the road and near the trail, and there are clearly people living in the woods nearby, despite the umpteen signs about no overnight parking. Cue the Stunk and White committee here to say that the signs don't mention overnighting without a car.... So you can go on debating the truthiness of the two signs (he says, trying to imagine why someone would take the time and energy to write, print, laminate, and hang them if they are fake), but my request remains the same: If you are hassled or see someone getting hassled or see people looking into cars, etc. PLEASE CALL THE POLICE. If we don't push the authorities, I fear the area will turn into a place I don't want to go at night for fear of my safety.

If not now, when?
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:03 pm 
It's not just a warning sign, it's telling people to call 911. Once you call 911, what are you supposed to tell the operator? Do the 911 operators know about this and are ready to dispatch LEOs? I can understand a warning sign but the lack of details means it is probably not a good idea to call 911 without a little more to go on. I certainly would not call 911 if I saw a late 40s/early 50s man of average height and with a salt and pepper beard. That description fits too many people and is too vague to be calling 911. Sounds strage but like Brian R said, it never hurts to be vigilant. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Why the nitpicking and conspiracy theory all the sudden?
Because if someone is creating fear by spreading false information, it needs to be called out (I'm referring to the person who authored the signs, not the OP). False reporting is harmful. The note reeks of a personal agenda.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:53 pm 
That report was posted on FB a while ago. How did they know the pursuers were chain smoking? How could 40-50 yo chain smokers move up the cable line with any sort of speed? Reads more like bad fiction than an actual event.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
if someone is creating fear by spreading false information, it needs to be called out (
What if you folks are spreading false information about it being false? Who's to prove the validity or the falsity of the sign? Tear the sign down if you think it's harming someone.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert