Forum Index > Trail Talk > What to do when hiking and approached by a mountain bike on a narrow trail?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
The reason being is that most people think that they are the ones following the golden rule and that it's the other person who is breaking it.
Sorry I don't think the woman who was jumping out of the bushes blowing a bear whistle at folks walking around Greenlake "the wrong way" believed that she was "treating others has she would like to be treated".
Well that's why I wrote "most people" rather than "all people".
RandyHiker wrote:
The general problem is that many people are stuck in only seeing the world from their own knothole. People that are able engage their imagination to consider another person's perspective are the exception.
Well yea ... I think that is basically what I wrote. That's why it is unsurprising that individuals and user groups accuse others for violating the golden rule. And if/when things excalate, people often move from "the golden rule" to the "eye for an eye" maxim. With autos it's called "road rage". Fortunately with trail hikers vs trail bikers it does not often escalte to the level similar to road rage. But we do see a lot of group and individual resentment towards each other. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
to the "eye for an eye" maxim
One aspect that is commonly misunderstood about the "eye for an eye" principle is what preceded it. Prior to the "eye for an eye" rule -- "vengeful retribution" was common.
Wikipedia wrote:
The principle is found in Babylonian Law.[5][6] If it is surmised that in societies not bound by the rule of law, if a person was hurt, then the injured person (or their relative) would take vengeful retribution on the person who caused the injury. The retribution might be worse than the crime, perhaps even death. Babylonian law put a limit on such actions, restricting the retribution to be no worse than the crime,...

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:19 pm 
I bike, I hike, I'm typically slow and even slower with my teenager in tow. We'll yield to anything and everyone, and my daughter is so paranoid about disturbing anyone she'll start trying to get off the trail when people are so far away I have to remind her we'll never get back to the truck if we keep waiting for 5+ minutes at a time over and over. Her OCD kicks in whether she's walking or pedaling and the alarm distance doubles at least when someone else has a dog. dizzy.gif Personally I think the golden rule + a bit of extended kindness would go a LONG way towards improving not just trail user stuff but a whole lot else in the current general human condition. tl;dr: see avatar at left.

~Mom jeans on wheels
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:24 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
And, again, I will ask, what does that mean to you?
It means he hopes he gets the opportunity to assault somebody for enjoying the outdoors the wrong way:
texasbb wrote:
But if they don't, and they're moving fast, I find it best to jump high enough to clear the hard, pointy handlebars and instead impact the soft, flexible human.
I'm going to assume that's an awkward attempt at humor, taking a shot at my prior such attempt. On a serious note (my first one in this thread smile.gif ), this right-of-way thing is not that hard. Common-sense courtesy covers 98% of the encounters out there. For the other 2%, a little thinking and maybe some study beforehand helps.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
https://kuow.org/stories/whats-right-way-go-around-green-lake/
lol.gif eek.gif I'm feeling pretty vindicated about avoiding Green Lake!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 pm 
Write your congressman. (just kidding) I have literally never seen a mountain bike on a hike. Maybe I just don't hike on trails where they go? Or where they are allowed to go?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
And, again, I will ask, what does that mean to you?
It means he hopes he gets the opportunity to assault somebody for enjoying the outdoors the wrong way:
texasbb wrote:
But if they don't, and they're moving fast, I find it best to jump high enough to clear the hard, pointy handlebars and instead impact the soft, flexible human.
I'm going to assume that's an awkward attempt at humor, taking a shot at my prior such attempt. On a serious note (my first one in this thread smile.gif ), this right-of-way thing is not that hard. Common-sense courtesy covers 98% of the encounters out there. For the other 2%, a little thinking and maybe some study beforehand helps.
I am actually seriously asking because it seems like it IS hard because it's not happening to your (and others) satisfaction or you (and others) are afraid it's not going to happen. When I see a hiker when I'm on a bike, I slow to a speed where I could easily stop immediately and will put a foot down and stop if need be but most of the time they step off the trail and let me pass because I'm going faster than them. I appreciate that. A few times HOH types have given me looks that seem to imply that they expect me to stop completely when I see them no matter what. Yield does not mean stop. Yield means alter pace to avoid collision.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 am 
If I'm biking on what is predominantly a hiking trail, I yield. If I'm biking on what is predominantly a biking trail, I'm less inclined. If I'm hiking on what is predominantly a biking trail, I yield. If I'm hiking on what is predominantly a hiking trail, I'm less inclined. I yield to horses no matter what. (They kick.)