Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 11:14 am 
^ or in other words: effectively NO change in policy regarding bicycles (or ebikes) at either MRNP or ONP - they're still only allowed where bicycles were already allowed.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm 
wait...... and you still have to pedal?

reststep

reststep
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm 
Haleakala looks into electric bike policy. https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2019/11/haleakala-looks-into-electric-bike-policy/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm 
37 miles and 10,000' of gain. A formidable test for any modern ebike battery.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:10 am 
I am hoping to ride up the Going to the Sun road next year. I also want to do part of the Kettle Valley trail, which is a rails to trails thing in B.C. I definitely get more of a workout with the new bike, but also get way more mileage. I have not used more than a third of the battery on one trip (30 miles so far) yet. On my old Rad I was going on fumes after 24 miles. If it is a nice day, I find myself turning a 4 mile round trip to Safeway into a 18 mile ride, with a bit of huffing and puffing up a hill. I wouldn't be doing that on a regular bike. Any nay sayers tried one out yet? THAT is the problem. Too many people who know nothing about ebikes are making the rules up about them. A "Physics Expert" on an ebike forum even tried to make the case that because of the extra weight of an ebike, they are dangerous. Well, what happens when I put my extra weight on an acoustic bike? Is a pound of ebike different than a pound of body? The other fear is speed. I can hit the same speed on an acoustic bike going downhill that I can on my ebike. Is there a difference in speed also? Then there is the throttle thing. I have a bike with and a bike without. The throttle makes it safer for me to get going. That counts in intersections and on hills. Since my non-throttle bike is more comfortable to ride and has a better battery, I'm trying to do without. I have ended up pushing my bike up hills when it is too steep for my skills to get it going. I read where a couple had been kicked off a paved trail where bikes are allowed in Acadia NP. They had to ride out in the car traffic, and this was after the ruling was made. Is that preferable to having a speed limit for all bikes on trails? They mentioned that they could just drive their car instead and be safer which would be more carbon spewed out instead of using common sense. You definitely should ride them before making decisions. And, how many of you hike on trails shared with bikes anyway? There is no threat to official wilderness. There is no threat to trails where bikes are not allowed. There may be a threat to some egos.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:41 am 
Some reading. Outside article And a German study that suggests ebikes do go 1 or 2 KPH faster than regular bikes. Does that mean the end of the world? Faster in Germany

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am 
Brian R wrote:
37 miles and 10,000' of gain. A formidable test for any modern ebike battery.
Indeed. Most top out around there just on flat ground. But I wonder what trails they're talking about. The paved road to the top is presumably already OK for all modes of transportation. The Skyline trail would be fun to e-bike but is outside the park. I'm not aware of any MTB routes inside the park.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I am hoping to ride up the Going to the Sun road next year.
I've been wanting to do that on my "acoustic" bike for years! Should be a great time, take lots of pics and post a TR.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I am hoping to ride up the Going to the Sun road next year.
I've been wanting to do that on my "acoustic" bike for years! Should be a great time, take lots of pics and post a TR.
I need to find a link that will predict when the snow is cleared, but the road only open for bikes because the snow is not cleared. It's kind of similar to the North Cascades riding, I think. I'd like to do that too, but a friend says my pickup will be broken into and destroyed.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am 
While I was on the Sammamish river trail last week, a person went flying by on an electric bike that was more of a motorcycle in my opinion, must have been doing 30 mph, not pedaling at all. The bike looked like it was pretty massive, would likely have killed anyone it hit. But I see that as the individual in question needing an expensive ticket and a trail ban, more than a complaint about the technology. We need some enforcement of existing rules more than new rules with no enforcement except blame after something bad happens.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I need to find a link that will predict when the snow is cleared, but the road only open for bikes because the snow is not cleared. It's kind of similar to the North Cascades riding, I think. I'd like to do that too, but a friend says my pickup will be broken into and destroyed.
I've done a bunch of riding all over the North Cascades without ever have that kind of problem. Maybe I've just jinxed myself though. Park across the street from the Mazama Store to ride it west. Outside the Colonial Creek CG to go east. At the boat launch to ride up to the Cascade Pass TH. Never a problem, always fun. People aren't going to break in to a car when there are a lot of other people (witnesses) coming and going.
Earn your turns?
Earn your turns?

JPH

JPH
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 pm 
Do you know if there's a short window before the road opening when you can ride all the way over to Mazama and it's still closed to cars?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:55 pm 
A hellion on an ebike. Note all the damage being caused and the .... unleashed dog! This was a day when the wind they warned about hit and I 'bout got blown over a few times on the way back. There also was a lot more traffic than usual on this road. I counted 6 cars that went by. Usually we encounter a couple.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:04 pm 
JPH wrote:
Do you know if there's a short window before the road opening when you can ride all the way over to Mazama and it's still closed to cars?
This is when the scenery is best, too. There's also a short window when the roads to Chinook Pass and Sunrise are open to bikes and not yet to cars, too. Chinook was a great ride, Sunrise is pretty at the top but too forested most of the way.