Forum Index > Gear Talk > Batteries for your head lamp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 pm 
Back in the day you had to buy a special charger for batteries you can use more than once, and it needed a wall outlet. I didn't know this, but now you can recharge (some) AA and AAA batteries by USB. Instead of bringing a spare set of batteries for your headlamp or other gear, you can bring a battery pack (I think a lot of people carry one anyway) and a small cable. 🙂 Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1LMMDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6u6WDbMHTABSB And for folks who don't know what I'm talking about, this is an example of what you would recharge the batteries, plus your camera, phone, and GPS from: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G26S5V8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Rv6WDbWD4ZNHQ

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 am 
Hmm -- half the mAh of NiMH, half the charge cycles, twice the price, and you'd need a hub or something to charge 3 at once. Better IMO to carry a spare light (with batteries), they weigh almost nothing. I switched everything to NiMH 10 years ago and haven't bought an AA or AAA since. But I agree, those Li battery packs are great. Some can double as a hand warmer and have a built in flashlight. Funny thing is though I usually just end up using my phone when I need some light, it's plenty bright. Would strapping it to my forehead with a headband look cool? Actually a bike light is a good option too, ultra bright and most charge through usb.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am 
A bike headlight works great. It's like an artificial sun!

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 1:14 pm 
Yup, getting to be that time of year again. We picked up cheap Revtronic 1600 lights and got some aftermarket over sized rechargeable battery packs for them figuring that was probably the weak link. They work brilliant, but once snow is down I can get away with just using my old Black Diamond headlamp with a flashlight mounted on the bar for backup.

~Mom jeans on wheels
trestle

trestle
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:52 pm 
I've been extremely satisfied with this setup: The Petzl Tikka and the CORE battery. Don't push me on tech specs but I will say the CORE battery seems to last as long as AAAs and puts out similar lumens. I can take the charged CORE as my primary battery with AAAs for backup or vice-versa. Pretty simple.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:59 pm 
Using your link, it says "High capacity 1250 mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery", which is better than the typical AAA NiMH battery which runs around 800 mAh. AA NiMH batteries, on the other hand, typically are rated at 2400 mAh.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 pm 
I use a Nitecore 25 Li-Ion (360 lumens) it’s rechargeable with a USB. I carry a portable charger for my phone, that can recharge the light if needed.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm 
neek wrote:
Better IMO to carry a spare light (with batteries), they weigh almost nothing.
This is what I do, the best choice IMHO.